Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on my engine in an unheated garage. I put it together back in July when the temps was 80* or so. Yesterday I checked the bearings and it was 45* when I bolted it back together. Will the colder temp have any effect on it? Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I'm no pro but i'm gona guess maybe....i know it makes a little difference with head gaskets. Might try indexing the head of the nuts, back off and re-torque and see if they end up in the same place.

1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello????

Well...is this question to stupid to answer or no one want's to talk to me?:)Unsure At any rate....with no other come backs, I'll assume it doesn't make any difference. Hope I'm right.:dunno:

Tim

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Long ago, but....

Thanks Bob, but I was hoping that some one el........LOL:D:)sphss J/K

Seriously...so the mics like to be warm and comfy and the torque wrench doesn't care either way?

Tim
It's been a long time, but I seem to remember 2 1/2 millionths, (.00000025) expansion/contraction per degree. I really doubt many of us have the capability to measure even a 50 degree difference....
Ray

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Thanks Bob, but I was hoping that some one el........LOL:D:)sphss J/K

Seriously...so the mics like to be warm and comfy and the torque wrench doesn't care either way?

Tim
Not so much the mics like being warm and comfy. Its that they are calibrated a room temperatures. But the most important is that everything you are measuring is at the same temp as the instruments.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the mics, I got to thinking that a while back there was a topic on them and I think Steel said that your body heat can change their measurement so hold them on the plastic insert only.

Moneypit....thanks. I don't think that little bit will make any difference in my torque values.

For clairification.... I was checking my bearings for wear. When I assembled it, I checked the clearances. With the trouble I had last year with tearing up bearings, I just wanted to make sure they still looked like bearings. Everything looked good, so I bolted it back together. Just wanted to make sure the torque in the colder temp was going to be ok.

Thanks to those who posted.

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts