Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a merc 600 SC (502). Only upgrades are superchiller, hyd roller cam, 750 carbs, Brodix race-rite BB2 plus heads. What total timing should I set it at. The stock 600SC was 33 BTDC.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually am not a fan of too much timing (gain not worth it) but I heard to little will get the exaust to hot on a supercharged application. What is your prefered timing range, Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
The chamber design of the head you have is much better then OEM. Better chamber means better flame travel which means better combustion. With this said you should need less timing to ignite the flame front. I would say 30 to 32 would be optimal and safe on 93 octane.

Just curious how much split at say .050" does the camshaft have?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just went on the crane cams website. Going by memory (6 years ago I installed the cam) I think it was 112, outside possibility was 114. Teague sold me the upgrades back then(except the heads, which I just installed last month). So if you know what he prefers? Ill dig out the cam card when I get home Thanks :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Set at 32 and lets go Boating Sunday :|err
I am shoting for sunday. Maybe the last chance to get out. Im probably going to be forced to launch at the Navy Rec Center because my little truck may not get the boat back out on other ramps. Hope to see you out there!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Havent set it yet, Just so happens when I dropped the distributer in it landed at 28. Ill do it Sunday when I pull it out of the garage. What ever I get closest to on the 1st try 31-32. Im not going to run it hard. I just want to make sure everything is good and Ill fine tune it next year

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
That much boost with pump gas I wouldn't run over 30 to start, and creep up on it if you want more. I would guess you'll only gain a few hp if any.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts