Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving cross county to pick up a 28' deck boat. Round trip will be 4800 miles. The stated weight of the boat is 4200 lbs. We own a F-250 and Pathfinder. For fuel reasons I'm thinking about taking the Pathfinder. It's towing capacity is 6000 lbs.

I've never pulled anything that far any thoughts?

·
GO CELTICS
2,083 Posts
Pathfinder not a good idea. Take the F250 and know you will be able to stop and tow it safely.

·
mach26 300's
1,216 Posts
by the time you have to keep the pedal through the floor on the pathfinder i'm sure it would burn way more fuel then the f250, so it would be close to a wash. let alone the safer choice for towin would be the F, since 6000 would max out the pathfinder

·
Registered
410 Posts
x4 on the F250. And find out what size bearings your trailer wheels use and buy two extra sets. Depending on where you are going and what route you are taking, at some point you may be more than a 100 miles from the nearest garage. And they still may not have the parts you need. Take a floor jack that can handle that amount of weight too, as well as all the tools to repair blown wheel bearings. A blown bearing can add days to your trip, as well as a ton of $$$...

·
two strokes is enough
2,042 Posts
i have towed many heavy ass loads long distances and would never tow anything a long distance with a small vehicle not to mention the F250 is made for towing and hauling loads and the pathfinder is not made for much other then it own weight. yes it can tow up to 6000 lbs but does it stop it? or pull it up any hill without having issues like the tranny getting hot or the motor over heating? in my opinion it not worth taking a chance and as for fuel i agree with the above statement of tunnel t the fuel mileage will proly end up the same after hauling the weight

·
1,512 Posts
X5. 20 trips back and forth across the US. Small Floor jack you can get under the axle, 2 spare tires, good lug wrench, rags, bearing grease, throw away gloves and bearings. Touch all your wheel hubs every time you stop for gas. Look for grease slinging. Wipe it off and add a couple pumps if you think it needs it. Check your lug nuts daily.

Lots of empty road with no services and you don't want to disconnect your trailer to go parts hunting. If something does go wrong, you'll be back on the road in 30 minutes or so with the right tools and parts.

If you go through Louisiana don't drift onto the side of the freeway. I swear they line them with razor like pieces of shell just to boost their tire business.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Those Pathfinders don't get that great of mileage, especially towing... I would think a 28' boat would be tough on the chassis too. I would take the F250 and have a much more relaxed (safer) drive... Just my opinion..

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
by the time you have to keep the pedal through the floor on the pathfinder i'm sure it would burn way more fuel then the f250, so it would be close to a wash. let alone the safer choice for towin would be the F, since 6000 would max out the pathfinder
Absolutely correct!!! The Pathfinder would be matted...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
the pathfinder may use more fuel than the f 250. the pathfinder is way too small of a frame, and the engine would work so har it may get as little as 8 mpg. Not to mention the trans may overheat and fry.

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
I would be more concerned with stopping power then pulling power and would choose the 250 because of it's weight and brakes.

But then again, I do see your concerns about trying to make it cross country and back in a Ford. :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Pathfinder = tail wagging the dog
I tried it once with a deck. I barely made it to Needles from Havasu. I unhooked it, drove back to so cal and hauled back with my dually. It towed, but with the wind and trucks passing, it wanted to throw me off the road. Never again.

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
I'm driving cross county to pick up a 28' deck boat. Round trip will be 4800 miles. The stated weight of the boat is 4200 lbs. We own a F-250 and Pathfinder. For fuel reasons I'm thinking about taking the Pathfinder. It's towing capacity is 6000 lbs.

I've never pulled anything that far any thoughts?

Comment:

We tow our deckboat a lot and going cross country again this year. I will say it is not even close the F-250 is the choice--- with strong cross winds across the praire and possible thunder storms in the Mid-west the choice really is a no brainer.

The final comment is SHRINK WRAP the boat or you will be sorry all the diesel sludge---from the big rigs--- will get into the interior of the boat and it will be a disaster trying to get it out of the seams with a tooth brush and oxy clean.

Make sure you have all the high points covered with underlayment as the shrink wrap vibration will erode your gel so make sure the underlayment is on all high points.

Oh! get an extra roll of tape and you can reuse the shrink wrap for another trip back it takes some technique but if you take it off carefully you can reuse it just put the underlayment exactly where you took it off of and add some more if need be.

Good luck it is a pain but worth it when you arrive and your boat is looking pristine:).

KAP

P.S. Denatured alcohol works great for getting the adhesive off the boat.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks - F250 it is!

Fullup - Great tips thanks!

BoatPT - power for the Pathfinders not an issue, its 270hp and fairly light weight but that I guess is the real issue. Not enough weight.

Havasu1986 - yes it is a magic

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great thought but I know nothing about shrink wrap... where to get it hows it install... underlayment....shrink wrap vibration?

Comment:

We tow our deckboat a lot and going cross country again this year. I will say it is not even close the F-250 is the choice--- with strong cross winds across the praire and possible thunder storms in the Mid-west the choice really is a no brainer.

The final comment is SHRINK WRAP the boat or you will be sorry all the diesel sludge---from the big rigs--- will get into the interior of the boat and it will be a disaster trying to get it out of the seams with a tooth brush and oxy clean.

Make sure you have all the high points covered with underlayment as the shrink wrap vibration will erode your gel so make sure the underlayment is on all high points.

Oh! get an extra roll of tape and you can reuse the shrink wrap for another trip back it takes some technique but if you take it off carefully you can reuse it just put the underlayment exactly where you took it off of and add some more if need be.

Good luck it is a pain but worth it when you arrive and your boat is looking pristine:).

KAP

P.S. Denatured alcohol works great for getting the adhesive off the boat.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts