Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to figure out if my 2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon edition will be able to safetly tow a classic BB jet boat in the 18-20 foot range. My question is, what does a jet boat in that size range weigh with a trailer. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Not sure about weight, but I've towed with a jeep. Power was fine and turning radius came in handy routinely..

Very scary under braking (we towed a Mastercraft w/out trailer brakes)..

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, if the trailer had good brakes.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I dont know the waight of my boat but its heavy for a jet 68 tahiti with a
454. I toe it with my wifes 06 liberty all the time on problems below 70 mph much more than that and it starts to whip a little. Should be no issue with the tj.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havent bought the boat yet but after going with my cousins to Big River last weekend I am hooked. Now I am trying to figure out what I would
tow it with. I just don’t want to go too much over its 2000lb tow rating. I could use my 65 el camino but would rather use the Jeep if I could, the el camino sits way too low.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well my tahiti is heavy maybe 700 to 800 lbs and a bbc like 800 lbs, the trailer I have no idea so maybe 2300, 2400 just a guess but not that far off I dont think

·
burnt mexican incorprated
363 Posts
i woudnt think it would be a problem i tow my 18 ft tahiti and my old 19 ft charger with my 3.0 ranger .. at 70 no problem

·
Re-member
146 Posts
I used to have a 71 big block vett that i put a hitch on and towed the hell out of my 18 ft jet no problems at all. towed it better than my 86 half ton 4x4. one time i was putting the boat on at the ramp and a bunch of guys were all standing there saying no way will that thing pull that boat out of the water (lake was low and ramp was in bad shape) so I said sit and watch boys, no problem, the thing didnt even break traction! and everyone else was spinning their tires all the way up the ramp. wish i never would have sold that car. it was great for passing everyone on the road with 250 shot of nos the car would get busy.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
I used to tow my 16' Tahiti with an Olds 455 all over with my CJ-5, no problems. I wouldn't want to race anybody, especially on curves, but ok otherwise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used to tow my 16' Tahiti with an Olds 455 all over with my CJ-5, no problems. I wouldn't want to race anybody, especially on curves, but ok otherwise.
How was is on the highway?
I am not worried it will have problems towing it powerwise I am concerned about the possibility of Jackknifing or the trailer trying to drive the jeep.
I guess I will try it when I get the boat, if it doesnt work I can always use the el camino, its so low I will probably have to get a drop hitch, flip it over and make a lift hitch!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Should be fine without trailer brakes. Had a friend that towed a 20 ft. jet with a 80's cj with a straght six. not very fast because his gearing was deep for rock crawling but other that he had no no problem.
Id think youd be hard pressed to find a jet boat like your looking for with trailer brakes. I used to tow my 18' jet with an s-10 all the time.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Dossangers tows his Beezer with a yacked up Jeep! might do a search on it, it was a topic for a minute! not a bad looking combo either!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Should be fine without trailer brakes. Had a friend that towed a 20 ft. jet with a 80's cj with a straght six. not very fast because his gearing was deep for rock crawling but other that he had no no problem.
Id think youd be hard pressed to find a jet boat like your looking for with trailer brakes. I used to tow my 18' jet with an s-10 all the time.
My first tow vehicle was an s-10 also. 2.8 litres of HP and torque!!! Not.

The CJ pulled fine-- most of the time.. but when there was anything that was unplanned (i.e. somebody brake checks you or you're not paying good attention), then it became a scary handful.. Short wheel base became a detriment quick... Overall the s-10 was a better (safer) tow rig, though way, way, way underpowered.

Dossangers tows his Beezer with a yacked up Jeep! might do a search on it, it was a topic for a minute! not a bad looking combo either!
How far's he tow it?? From lake house to ramp is my guess..

·
Registered
279 Posts
I tow a 18' Kona and a 18' Hondo with a 96 Cherokee 4.0 Now that thing is a towing machine ,lots of power,up hill as fast as you want to go. Unbelievable torque.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
My first tow vehicle was an s-10 also. 2.8 litres of HP and torque!!! Not.

The CJ pulled fine-- most of the time.. but when there was anything that was unplanned (i.e. somebody brake checks you or you're not paying good attention), then it became a scary handful.. Short wheel base became a detriment quick... Overall the s-10 was a better (safer) tow rig, though way, way, way underpowered.

How far's he tow it?? From lake house to ramp is my guess..

All I can go off of is that, he shows up to the ramp or vdrive deal and tows out of the park with it!
Very nice and healthy sounding!

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Was seriously considering a new Tacoma v6 but have not heard anything solid about their towing capabilities? anyone tow with one (19' jet)?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Was seriously considering a new Tacoma v6 but have not heard anything solid about their towing capabilities? anyone tow with one (19' jet)?
Thanks
again, ive got another buddy that tows his 21' carrera open bow with a crew cab v6 tacoma up a pretty seriouse grade (comming out of indio on the I-10) and he says it does fine. hes got trailer brakes though.

·
Apache Lake Monger
917 Posts
Anybody towing in the hills with a 4.3 liter V-6 Automatic Chevy Truck? Found a nice one to replace our Suburban.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks
Todd I use to tow my19 Liberty with my 4dr taco with a 6" lift and 37" tires and it did fine! I would carry all my stuff and a 55 gal drum! Towed fine with no problems! 75 mph

1 - 20 of 38 Posts