Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Willow Valley / Palmdale
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to tow behind my fifth wheel camping trailer. What is required? Any one here do it?

I believe you need a Class A license. I would go for a non-commercial class A license.

Can you take the driving part of the test with a standard pickup and 5th wheel trailer or do you need something larger?

· The HMFIC
1,711 Posts
to pull doubles in cali you absoulty need a real class a with doubles endorcement and you have to be less that 65 or 75 ft not sure the noncommercial class a/rv endorsment will do nothing for you in this case. the other thing that is overlooked by almost the entire state is that to pull a fifth wheel you need the non commerical class a and this is also for coaches that are over 40 ft i am a class a heavy duty tow operator and if you have more questions, bring it i will help you all i can

555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to pull doubles in cali you absoulty need a real class a with doubles endorcement and you have to be less that 65 or 75 ft not sure the noncommercial class a/rv endorsment will do nothing for you in this case. the other thing that is overlooked by almost the entire state is that to pull a fifth wheel you need the non commerical class a and this is also for coaches that are over 40 ft i am a class a heavy duty tow operator and if you have more questions, bring it i will help you all i can
Sounds like my wife will just have to sleep in a tent.

· The HMFIC
1,711 Posts
I would be under the limit. My truck is a short bed. Trailer is only 27 feet. I want to tow my Manx buggy which is about 12 feet long.
will the buggy be trailered??? if not you will have to install some sort of electric brakeing mechanism cause one of the rules of pulling doubles is both trailers need brakes. time for a larger fifth wheel toy box:)devil your buggie would fit great in my 37and a half footer:)devil

555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will the buggy be trailered??? if not you will have to install some sort of electric brakeing mechanism cause one of the rules of pulling doubles is both trailers need brakes. time for a larger fifth wheel toy box:)devil your buggie would fit great in my 37and a half footer:)devil
Yea I know. We went this weekend to the Manx Big Bear Bash and had a great time. The only issue is we could not bring our Fifth wheel. Cabins suck. I am looking at options.

· Premium Member
357 Posts
class a is a must but what most people forget or just ignore is the fact that the 2nd trailer and or vehicle must have eletric trailer brakes chances are you would never be checked buy if you were involed in an accdent and did not have them you better have a huge umbrela on your insurance policy because you will loose everthing. lol!!!!!!!:D

555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
class a is a must but what most people forget or just ignore is the fact that the 2nd trailer and or vehicle must have eletric trailer brakes chances are you would never be checked buy if you were involed in an accdent and did not have them you better have a huge umbrela on your insurance policy because you will loose everthing. lol!!!!!!!:D
No I would not want to do it illegal or take any chances. Sounds like the best way would be to just get rid of the existing trailer and get a toy hauler. I do not think the tent idea will fly. No where to blow dry my wifes hair or run the hair curler

· Registered
3,734 Posts
Yep...total length not to exceed 75', I believe...

· You who rock I salute you
3,207 Posts
It's 65 feet total in Calif.
Middle trailer has to be a 5th with brakes, and bigger/heavier than the third (last) trailer.

Tow vech has to be rated to tow the entire length's gvw's added up.

If stopped, act cooperative,,, and honest.

· New here
4,028 Posts
That's true. 75 feet would be a permit load and only allowed on certain roadways - as designated by the permit.

But, the GVW really comes into play. A dually would be the first step to hauling more stuff. Whether it be bigger toy-hauler (pretty much anything over 33' is already over 3/4-ton limits) or hauling something behind a smaller TT. Insurance is really cracking down on not covering accidents where the weight limits were exceeded.

· Never Enough
941 Posts
I'm confused?:confused:

I know we're talking doubles/triples combination with the 5th wheel set up but I've got a 37' RV and my boat and trailer is right at 30' so does that mean I'm hauling illegal being 67'ish total length (by the way I do have a commercial class A but I don't think that makes a difference with the non-commercial vehicles).?.?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.