Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
HOT SAUCE HERE
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gary,

Just curious -- what would you prefer to run? The 848 or a new TPI with the 5liter Whipple detuned to 900ish? Seems like the detuned motor would barely be working -- increasing longevity. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hey Gary,

Just curious -- what would you prefer to run? The 848 or a new TPI with the 5liter Whipple detuned to 900ish? Seems like the detuned motor would barely be working -- increasing longevity. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Patrick
The detuned 5.0 would be the way to go if you could swing the $$$$. Thats what it always comes down to. The motor in the pic below is essentially an 848 with a 5.0 liter on it. A couple minor differences, but the longblock is EXACTLY the same. There is a $15K difference between the two.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
I would like to elaborate on this topic for a second. I would not compare the 848 to a 5.0 motor. The 848 was built for the customer that was looking for an 800+ hp motor with room to grow. The 848 can make 950 with a MOAC intercooler, another poound of boost and a program change. I understand it's not an 848 anymore, but the entire pan to intake does not change, which makes it pretty easy to do. I don't like to sell "maxed out" engines. Thats why my "948" motor has a 5.0 liter Whipple on it. It gives it room to grow without the customer buying a whole new bigger engine when he get's used to the power he has. I have never had a customer say they should have bought LESS power:)

·
HOT SAUCE HERE
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to elaborate on this topic for a second. I would not compare the 848 to a 5.0 motor. The 848 was built for the customer that was looking for an 800+ hp motor with room to grow. The 848 can make 950 with a MOAC intercooler, another poound of boost and a program change. I understand it's not an 848 anymore, but the entire pan to intake does not change, which makes it pretty easy to do. I don't like to sell "maxed out" engines. Thats why my "948" motor has a 5.0 liter Whipple on it. It gives it room to grow without the customer buying a whole new bigger engine when he get's used to the power he has. I have never had a customer say they should have bought LESS power:)
That's exactly what I was thinking - good to know. BTW - $15K, wow, is most of that just the difference in the MOAC intercooler and the whipple itself?

Roln 20s

·
Rubbing is Racing!!
2,837 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking - good to know. BTW - $15K, wow, is most of that just the difference in the MOAC intercooler and the whipple itself?

Roln 20s
ouch...huge difference for the bigger blower

Personally I was surprised at the cost of the polished whipple kit in the first place:)sphss

The pictured motor is gorgeous!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts

Roln 20s
The 5.0 blower kit is quite a bit more than the 3.3l kit because there is a lot more there. The MOAC is an added expense, and there are more custom fittings/hoses with the MOAC. The 5.0 has 10 injectors and has a different wiring harness, as well as a isolated IAC block with 2 IAC units(little air pumps). There is just quite a bit more work with the 5.0 motor throughout the whole build, including the final programming/set up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts