Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start making a top plate for my edelbrock tr. The plate will be flat 1/2 al plate (no raised area for the carbs to sit on) so i'm going to need some kind of spacer. I did a short search and read a few opinions on spacers but I'm wondering what the thoughts are on my application since a stock top plate for edelbrock basically has spacers built into it. Should I use an open spacer to more resemble a stock top, a shear plate, a 4 hole spacer, or is there a better mouse trap? Carbs are 4150's

Thanks, Don

·
just a ski boat with bark
2,811 Posts
I'm going to start making a top plate for my edelbrock tr. The plate will be flat 1/2 al plate (no raised area for the carbs to sit on) so i'm going to need some kind of spacer. I did a short search and read a few opinions on spacers but I'm wondering what the thoughts are on my application since a stock top plate for edelbrock basically has spacers built into it. Should I use an open spacer to more resemble a stock top, a shear plate, a 4 hole spacer, or is there a better mouse trap? Carbs are 4150's

Thanks, Don

Well here's a link to what I did. http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=7753&highlight=billet

IMO the taperd 4 hole spacer design kicked butt in real world response and pull.

·
CANT RE MEMBER
1,159 Posts
Squirt,
I Was Going To Post Pictures Of A Couple I've Done, A 3 Carb Top Half, And A Top For 4500s Canted To Line Up With The Runners, But After The Pictures That Carnivalride Posted I Would Be Embarassed To.
But Yes, Have Ran Spacers (nos Plates, Open Centers) But Liked 2" Plates With Anti-reversion Holes The Best

·
2,811 Posts
Carnivalride is your intake painted or powder coat. Looks good.

Tim
Thanks, it's painted, smoothed it up and recontoured the flanges that meet the heads. Shoot it with ecthing primer, then an acrylic urathane (PPG Concept).

·
2,811 Posts
Squirt,
I Was Going To Post Pictures Of A Couple I've Done, A 3 Carb Top Half, And A Top For 4500s Canted To Line Up With The Runners, But After The Pictures That Carnivalride Posted I Would Be Embarassed To.
But Yes, Have Ran Spacers (nos Plates, Open Centers) But Liked 2" Plates With Anti-reversion Holes The Best

Post away no need to be embarassed. I was going to put a twist on these but it caused some interference with the mount hole so I took the easy way out and just ran them as you see them.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Very nice work indeed.

Sleeper CP :D

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
That's really nice work Loren, but I'm wondering why you didn't do more to line up the carbs with the runners?
I wish I had pictures of the inside of the top of the TR on my 467. I used the stock Ede. 4500 top, but had probably a full day or more of grinding and shaping right under the carbs trying to help the disrtibution.
There are a number of spacer types on the market. Check with Wilson, and I think Darin Morgan was showing me one a few years ago (when he was with RM) that was a shear plate with an adapter/spacer made to use together that he said worked very well. If you're making your own flat top plate, a shear plate isn't a bad idea, and give some thought to the orientation of the carbs to the runners below. I think 1/2" is a little thick on the plate, though. Most are 1/4.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Very Nice!! :)devil

I am building one similar to that for my Dart tunnel ram. It only has 1/4 rise and the rest extends down into the plenum, and the carbs mount at a slight angle to better line up over the ports. Same basic concept though.
Warp, are you angling the tops of your carb pads? Linkage gets fun when you start turning the carbs...:D

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Loren, did you dyno that top against a stocker? Just curious. It looks very effective.:)devil
I see you added a spacer on the intake...did you need more plenum volume?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you're making your own flat top plate, a shear plate isn't a bad idea, and give some thought to the orientation of the carbs to the runners below. I think 1/2" is a little thick on the plate, though. Most are 1/4.
I decided to use 1/2 inch for 2 reasons. The Edelbrock only has 8 bolts and I thought 1/4 might bow. And it would leave more material to drill and tap for mounting things

·
2,811 Posts
Very Nice!! :)devil

I am building one similar to that for my Dart tunnel ram. It only has 1/4 rise and the rest extends down into the plenum, and the carbs mount at a slight angle to better line up over the ports. Same basic concept though.
Thanks warp, I had to have height for linkage on the front 750 and I also wanted the plenum volume.

That's really nice work Loren, but I'm wondering why you didn't do more to line up the carbs with the runners?
I wish I had pictures of the inside of the top of the TR on my 467. I used the stock Ede. 4500 top, but had probably a full day or more of grinding and shaping right under the carbs trying to help the disrtibution.
When I tried to rotate the carbs to line up it caused interference with some of the mounting holes. I also wondered if the 9 or 11 degrees (don’t remember which) would cause binding issues with the linkage. I guess I don’t have a picture of my plenum but here’s a “runner shot”.

Loren, did you dyno that top against a stocker? Just curious. It looks very effective.:)devil
I see you added a spacer on the intake...did you need more plenum volume?
No dynoing, the comparison was this induction set up vs my old single plane set up. Funny thing is it picked nearly 500rpm on the flash and its pulling to 7000rpm much quicker. Since I used 750’s I wanted the plenum volume and that is also my regulator bracket. The way my response is I will probably experiment with an additional ½” spacer next year to see if that helps or hurts ET/MPH.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts