Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently rebuilding my trailer and I'm installing all new wheel bearings. What is the best "Marine" wheel bearing grease that I should be using?

Thanks
Jay

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
I use morey's RED grease or mobile 1 synthetic. i have never had a bearing failure. The main thing is that you keep them greased :)

·
Administrator
11,647 Posts
I use only the Neo Synthetic Red Z-12 grease. I switched to it about 12 years ago and have had zero bearing failures. I used to have quite a few. I use it in all my vehicles, trailer bearings, shaft seals, everything that gets greased. We sell if you need just send a PM.

It is probably very similar to what 396 recommends above.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
That avatar creeps me out every time I see it. It's just staring at me! And it even blinks!

·
2,925 Posts
I use only the Neo Synthetic Red Z-12 grease. I switched to it about 12 years ago and have had zero bearing failures. I used to have quite a few. I use it in all my vehicles, trailer bearings, shaft seals, everything that gets greased. We sell if you need just send a PM.

It is probably very similar to what 396 recommends above.

That is very good grease as well. Whatever you use, just make sure that it is "EP" extreme pressure. Dont buy cheap grease! Spend the extra $4-5 on the better stuff. You will notice that bearing falures will go down unless they are BCA brand. They are going through a major recall right now and majority of the part numbers are for GM vehicles.

·
2,925 Posts
<------parts guy for 13 years;)

·
2,925 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
:D

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I use this:

The bearings are BARELY warm to the touch, even after braking in the summer. Whenever we stop in Barstow, I always touch the hubs to look for a possible failure. Always cool enough to keep your hand on.

Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease provides excellent protection against rust, corrosion and water washout. It's suited for wheel bearings, ball joint suspensions, steering linkages, and king pin and chassis lube points.

Benefits:

• Excellent resistance to rust and corrosion.
  • Good shock loading protection.
  • Excellent resistance to water washout.
  • Outstanding lubrication over a wide temperature range.

·
2,925 Posts
The bearings are BARELY warm to the touch, even after braking in the summer. Whenever we stop in Barstow, I always touch the hubs to look for a possible failure. Always cool enough to keep your hand on.

Thats it! Thats some kick ass grease. Autozone sells it;)

·
No Sandbar To Far
3,276 Posts
+1 for Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease.:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks fellas, I'll go with the Mobil 1 Synthetic. I'll be using Timken bearings also.

Spit, I know you were looking into some led trailer lights a while back. What are some websites that have you found that have some?

Rex, do y'all carry trailer items also?

Thanks y'all

Jay

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I also like it because it is easy to get. As mentioned, Autozone, Walmart, Kragen, PepBoys.

There are, I am sure, even better greases out there but I don't think you can beat this for quality, availability and price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts