Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need some help or advice, please.
I have a Competitive Trailer, and I need to replace the inside fender walls, or whatever they're called.
I pulled one of the old ones to use as a pattern, but it fell apart in my hands when I removed it. I took a piece of heavy cardboard, mocked it up, and traced out the inside pattern, and enough flange area for the fasteners. I'm assuming that's 3/4 Marine or Outdoor use plywood that was there before.
The old ones were covered in Black Astro Turf, and I don't know if you can get that stuff anymore. Might have to use some type of carpet to replace it if I cant find the turf, (I liked the turf).
Fasteners...Where do you get them at ? These kind of look like a 5/16 carriage bolt, but the head is flat, and is larger, and has 2 holes for screws to keep it from turning once mounted.
I know you guys have done this job before, so any advice to do it the correct way, or easier or better, would be greatly appreciated.
I didn't include any pictures, but if you need them, say the word and I'll go take some.
Thank you for your time,

Mod

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would get some HDO or MDO plywood 1/4 or 3/8” you could cover it with fiberglass to protect it from water then cover the side next to your boat with carpet.
That's a good idea, but I don't know how to do fiberglass. How about the HDO/MDO plywood and a few layers of coating or sealer, and then re-carpet it ? Do you think that would hold up ? Thank you for your post.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I used 1/2" marine plywood, covered by foam and vinyl upholstery on the boat side and painted black on the tire side. They have held up for 15 years that way. I used stainless T nuts embedded into the wood and stainless button heads from inside the fenders to attach.
Rectangle Font Parallel Software Screenshot

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used 1/2" marine plywood, covered by foam and vinyl upholstery on the boat side and painted black on the tire side. They have held up for 15 years that way. I used stainless T nuts embedded into the wood and stainless button heads from inside the fenders to attach.
View attachment 1045131
Another great idea. The T-Nuts would keep me from having to drill 2 holes in each Elevator bolt to secure it. Simple.
Thank you for your post also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Need some help or advice, please.
I have a Competitive Trailer, and I need to replace the inside fender walls, or whatever they're called.
I pulled one of the old ones to use as a pattern, but it fell apart in my hands when I removed it. I took a piece of heavy cardboard, mocked it up, and traced out the inside pattern, and enough flange area for the fasteners. I'm assuming that's 3/4 Marine or Outdoor use plywood that was there before.
The old ones were covered in Black Astro Turf, and I don't know if you can get that stuff anymore. Might have to use some type of carpet to replace it if I cant find the turf, (I liked the turf).
Fasteners...Where do you get them at ? These kind of look like a 5/16 carriage bolt, but the head is flat, and is larger, and has 2 holes for screws to keep it from turning once mounted.
I know you guys have done this job before, so any advice to do it the correct way, or easier or better, would be greatly appreciated.
I didn't include any pictures, but if you need them, say the word and I'll go take some.
Thank you for your time,

Mod
Hey 482,
I just did mine for my Sanger trailer. Kinda pressed for time right now but I'm going to include my cell # and if ya want, give me a call later and I'll do what I can to walk you through the process I used used 3/4" cabinet plywood and clear epoxied the heck out of it, by the time I got done with that they were almost too pretty to cover, lol. All stainless fasteners and I used 1/4-20 for size. No real stress on the wood. Also if ya have face time I will walk you around the trailer and show you what I did, and the fasteners I used. If you call, leave a voice mail message with your number and I'll call you back, I get a ridiculous amount of spam calls so I don't answer calls I don't recognize. I'm in Central California, Pacific Daylight Time, are you located, Virginia?
Ray Speetzen
925-708-8368

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey 482,
I just did mine for my Sanger trailer. Kinda pressed for time right now but I'm going to include my cell # and if ya want, give me a call later and I'll do what I can to walk you through the process I used used 3/4" cabinet plywood and clear epoxied the heck out of it, by the time I got done with that they were almost too pretty to cover, lol. All stainless fasteners and I used 1/4-20 for size. No real stress on the wood. Also if ya have face time I will walk you around the trailer and show you what I did, and the fasteners I used. If you call, leave a voice mail message with your number and I'll call you back, I get a ridiculous amount of spam calls so I don't answer calls I don't recognize. I'm in Central California, Pacific Daylight Time, are you located, Virginia?
Ray Speetzen
925-708-8368
Thank you for your post, Ray. That's kinda sorta what I did. I had to make a pattern because my old wood was shot. I bought a sheet of 3/4 exterior plywood, traced them out, cut the panels, marked the holes for the hardware, and now I'm in the process of putting a bunch of coats of clear outdoor polyurethane on them. Bought nice outdoor carpet/mat from Lowe's to cover it with. Decided to go with the stainless steel t-nuts like Heatseeker recommended . I'll have to order those. Nobody around here has any in stock. All in all, it should be alright once I get it done.
Thank you for your help !

Mod

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Let's finish the thread. Here's my pattern, and a rug/mat I got from Lowe's. It's made out of recycled water bottles if you're into that, I got it because it was cheap, and looked good.
Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring studio couch

Then I cut up a perfectly good sheet of 70 dollar plywood and got these out of it.
That's the first out of 4 coats of polyurethane for each piece.
Wheel Tire Tread Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

While I was in here, I pulled the hubs, packed the bearings, checked the seals, cleaned the inside of the fenders, and painted everything black. (Before shot)
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Wheel

Then I wrapped the boards and stapled everything on the wheel side. Cleaned the holes, and pre-fit the hardware.
Wood Rectangle Flooring Road surface Floor

Seems I can't rotate the picture, but this is how it turned out. All in all, I think it looks just fine.
Hood Tent Sleeve Tarpaulin Bumper

I don't see how anybody could do this job and make money off of it. I got 150 bucks in just parts alone. Then make a pattern, cut them out, drill for the hardware, prep and seal them, cover them...
It's a time consuming job !
Thanks for all your ideas, and following along with the thread.

Mod

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts