Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have or know where I can find this style of coupler for my trailer. It bolts flat to the top side of the channel. I've googled the manufacturer numerous times and come up empty handed. I can't use the type of hitch that slides over the channel tubing because the channel outside diameter width is 3 1/2" and the largest width I can find is 3". If I can't find this style or one that will work I'm gonna have to start cutting and welding and I don't want to do that this year:D

If anybody can offer some suggestions let me have em

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
We're in the same situation. We are converting to the newer style hitch, that drops on the ball rather than sliding into the ball. Some cutting a welding will be required, but I'm lucky to have friends that do off-road fabrication.

·
Owner/Crew Chief
443 Posts
Back in the 70's CalWest Trailers used to use a lot of those on boat trailers ... They were in Fresno then ... Don't know whether their still in business. There is a Cal West Trucks & Trailers in Sacramento ... they may be the same outfit (?) ... you could always call them and ask.

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Below is a quote from a thread in V-drives where that style hitch was discussed. I say contact "lucky" and see what you can find out. BTW, what is wrong with yours?

I can get those hitches for like 30 bucks ( Off the top of my head ) at [email protected] industrial in Ukiah cal with Two bolt holes so you can chrome it and make it faster ....:D

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Below is a quote from a thread in V-drives where that style hitch was discussed. I say contact "lucky" and see what you can find out. BTW, what is wrong with yours?

Its just worn. Lets just say its seen many of river trips:D. And after I was in a wreck towing the boat home last october I figured its better safe than sorry.
I have the boat off the trailer right now and I'm redoing the trailer so I thought I better start at the front and move my way to the rear replacing everything that needs replacing, the hitch happened to be the first casualty:)

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back in the 70's CalWest Trailers used to use a lot of those on boat trailers ... They were in Fresno then ... Don't know whether their still in business. There is a Cal West Trucks & Trailers in Sacramento ... they may be the same outfit (?) ... you could always call them and ask.

Good info. The hitch is stamped with Malaga Maid Mfg. Fresno, CA.

I sat on the computer searching for the last week and nothing comes up. I'm about ready to chew my fingers off :D

I thought it would be a no brainer replacing it with a more up to date one until I measured the channel and realized "thats an odd width" :(:(

You gotta love a board that has more info than google can provide:D:D

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Good info. The hitch is stamped with Malaga Maid Mfg. Fresno, CA.
I think that is the same brand on my trailer(a Competitive).

I spent quite a bit of time several years ago trying to find one of these for a friend's trailer. Came up empty. That trailer has since been replaced.

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that is the same brand on my trailer(a Competitive).

I spent quite a bit of time several years ago trying to find one of these for a friend's trailer. Came up empty. That trailer has since been replaced.

That idea crossed my mind.... Then the cost was brought to my attention:D:D

A little elbow grease, 30 pack, and some friends and the old trailer is new again;)

I pm'd Lucky. Hopefully he can help. Thanks again for the info.

Richard

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats part of the reason I never did anything with it .. I hated that thing :|err

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I figured that as soon as I couldnt find that style of hitch:D:D

BTW - Trailer is no longer brown. Yellow is much prettier :D;)

·
655 Posts
I've had 2 of those on boat trailers. A CHP buddy told me they are no longer legal so I doubt that they are even being made anymore

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im partial to Orange........:)hand

I thought about that too:D

I decided that the least amount of color on the boat was yellow so it was a better choice.

Shouldn't you be partial to blue now;) If you take that thing out to Irvine I'll be sure to intro myself in person:)hand

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had 2 of those on boat trailers. A CHP buddy told me they are no longer legal so I doubt that they are even being made anymore

Lucky here on the boards might have a hook up up North and he's checking for me. It would suck if they are illegal because they're easy to hook up especially if your by yourself. Do you know why they're not legal anymore? Seems like a safe hitch to me.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Just go to the next size ball and tighten up the fit! :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just cut my trailer up today and installed a new coupler. It was kinda a pain because the trailer is 3.5 inches and the coupler is only 3 inches. My buddy and I had to cut and section the coupler to fit. Then we welded the whole thing up underneath, through the holes, and the parts we had to cut to spread the coupler. Finally, we grinded it all smooth and put some random paint on it so it won't rust. All and all took about 1 1/2 hours, but mostly because the old one was more difficult than anticipated to remove. If you can weld, I would recommend replacing yours with the newer style that you can find everywhere.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts