Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I put this in the correct section.
I have a Competitive trailer with a Hondo Runner Bottom on it. I need to put a pivot trailer jack with wheel on it. I'm getting older and it's killing my back to pick it up by myself. I bought a Reese with a side crank but the top part of the jack sticks up too far and would hit the nose or bow. You know how low these things sit on the trailer.
I can't be the only one who has had this problem. What should I do, what would you do ? I would appreciate your help and advice, and pictures too.
Thank you very much,

Mod

·
Registered
236 Posts
I looked over my trailers section of pictures and found this picture and the owner has removed one of the "hand" grabs and moved the jack forward.
You mite see if this would help clear the nose.

You would still have one hand grab if the kids are around.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Full of thoughts (or something) If your handy with metal or have a welder friend, make a 3 inch long receiver, with hole. Second make a square plate the size of the swing jack attach plate (to bolt jack to).
Last cut a 5 or 6 inch piece of 2 x 2 tubing to fit receiver with hole. Weld receiver to front of trailer to clear nose of boat perpendicular to the length of the trailer. Weld the plate to the end of the 2 x 2 tubing. It would then be removable and less obtrusive.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked over my trailers section of pictures and found this picture and the owner has removed one of the "hand" grabs and moved the jack forward.
You mite see if this would help clear the nose.

View attachment 1043766
You would still have one hand grab if the kids are around.
That's a good idea. I never thought of removing one of the hand grabs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Full of thoughts (or something) If your handy with metal or have a welder friend, make a 3 inch long receiver, with hole. Second make a square plate the size of the swing jack attach plate (to bolt jack to).
Last cut a 5 or 6 inch piece of 2 x 2 tubing to fit receiver with hole. Weld receiver to front of trailer to clear nose of boat perpendicular to the length of the trailer. Weld the plate to the end of the 2 x 2 tubing. It would then be removable and less obtrusive.

View attachment 1043767
Another good idea. Thanks for taking the time to draw that up.
That looks just like the Reese jack I bought. See how tall it is on the upper section above the plate where the crank is ? Is there another jack manufacturer that makes a lower profile jack that you know of ?
Thanks again for your help, Brother. I appreciate it !

Mod

·
Registered
236 Posts
May I suggest getting in touch with E trailer. and explain what you want using this industry standard sketch. Yes they do make the upper section as short as 4 inches, (found on Northern Tool web sight) .

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
May I suggest getting in touch with E trailer. and explain what you want using this industry standard sketch. Yes they do make the upper section as short as 4 inches, (found on Northern Tool web sight) . View attachment 1043779
Thank you for the diagram. I'll check that website out...and also the heads up on Northern Tools. There is one of those a Town over from me. I'll ride by there in the next couple of days and see what they've got in stock.
Thank you again for your help. I really appreciate it !

Mod

1 - 7 of 7 Posts