Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished wiring the trailer, and was wondering if i need to add a license plate lamp ? I have to go get it registered , and out of my G/F yard A.S.A.P:|err

I don't remember seeing them on any of my other trailers before but........

I want to pass the first time...... This will be reg in AZ :D

Thanks.......

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Well, you can ignore the plate light, but, the LEO folks wil have a chat with you, or 2, or 3, or untill you iluminate it. You may be able to dodge a citation if the light happened to be burned out (maybe a "fix-it-ticket"), but, no provision at all, is a sure write-up.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Even if you got it registered without it,

it would give Those pesky LEO's a reason to pull you over.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
California law requires it...not sure about AZ. Put one of those white LED lights on there, makes the plate light up bitchin. Also, beware, cali requires that you have red reflectors also visible to the rear..unless your taillamp already has an internal reflector. In other words., it ift's parked on the side of the road blacked out..someone coming with headlamps should be able to see the reflectors. My weekend warrior had a recall on this very thing....they didn't put reflectors on at the factory.
CVC 24607 every vehicle subject to registration under this code shall at all times be equipped with red reflectors mounted on the rear as follows

(d) when more than one reflector is required (which is the case in your trailer) at least one shall be mounted at the left, and one at the right, respectively at the same level. Required reflectors shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches, and not higher than 50 inches (now the lower part, y ou may violate but who'll really check) ..etc etc

also, make sure there's reflectors on the side of the trailer as well. Not a big deal till you've come off the lake after a few coctails and johnny law spots ya!

CVC 24601 either the taillamp or separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a WHITE light the rear license plate..and make it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear.

sorry for all the boring details..but you guys are pros on motors and shoes and jets n shyt..i'm pro at this stuff **:)**

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Anybody know anything about Kentucky law? My trailer doesn't have a license plate or even a mount for one, and I def. don't have a license plate light. Do I need any of this stuff? Why does a trailer even need a license plate? It's always towed by another vehicle, which is required to have a plate.

Thanks.:)

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Anybody know anything about Kentucky law? My trailer doesn't have a license plate or even a mount for one, and I def. don't have a license plate light. Do I need any of this stuff? Why does a trailer even need a license plate? It's always towed by another vehicle, which is required to have a plate.

Thanks.:)
I'mm gonna tell you to start at the Kentucky DMV to find licensing laws, but, Kansas has a weight limit. Any trailer (loaded), weighing less than 2,000 pounds, requires no registration.

I am very close to the limit, but suspect I am over, so I register mine anyhow.

An aluminum block ZL-1 and I'd prob. be OK. :D

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
186.650 to 186.700 define how trailers are registered, fees, plate designs, etc. (what a morass to dig thru. Sheeeeesh!)

Quote from 186.675:
(2) The provisions of KRS 186.650 to 186.700 shall not apply to privately owned and operated trailers used for the transportation of:
(a) Boats;
(b) Luggage;
(c) Personal effects;
(d) Farm products, farm supplies, or farm equipment;
(e) All-terrain vehicles as defined in KRS 189.010(24);
(f) Wildlife as defined in KRS 150.010(41) that the owner or operator of the trailer has obtained while hunting; and
(g) Firearms or other supplies used in conjunction with hunting wildlife.

It would appear to my eye, that the legaleze says boat trailers are not registered in Ky.

Do confirm with a call to your local DMV burocrat office. ;)

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
186.650 to 186.700 define how trailers are registered, fees, plate designs, etc. (what a morass to dig thru. Sheeeeesh!)

Quote from 186.675:
(2) The provisions of KRS 186.650 to 186.700 shall not apply to privately owned and operated trailers used for the transportation of:
(a) Boats;
(b) Luggage;
(c) Personal effects;
(d) Farm products, farm supplies, or farm equipment;
(e) All-terrain vehicles as defined in KRS 189.010(24);
(f) Wildlife as defined in KRS 150.010(41) that the owner or operator of the trailer has obtained while hunting; and
(g) Firearms or other supplies used in conjunction with hunting wildlife.

It would appear to my eye, that the legaleze says boat trailers are not registered in Ky.

Do confirm with a call to your local DMV burocrat office. ;)
Sweet, Kentucky rules!!!!!:)devil No noise regulations and no need to register boat trailers.:D

Thanks Smokin, yeah I hate dealing with all that bureaucratic bull***** too.:)

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Another thread jacked by HJ. :mad:
Bahner found out what he needed to know, and I didn't want to start another thread cause I get bitched at for that too. Don't get your panties in a bunch there bud.:)hand

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Yes, and he still calls his son a scum bum.
Junior, When we git home, I'm gonna punch yo momma right in her mouth, 'cause there ain't NO WAY, you came from my loins." :D

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts