Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got word from a Yuma local that LEO's were checking for and citing people without trailer approved tires over at Squaw Lake. Anyone not running trailer specific tires had any issues with this?

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Wow! Even CA doesn't have a law THAT specific! All the tire has to be is load-rated for the lbs and have designated minimal tread-depth for steering (4/32) and drive(s) (2/32).

Never hear of a trailer-specific tire law.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Wow! Even CA doesn't have a law THAT specific! All the tire has to be is load-rated for the lbs and have designated minimal tread-depth for steering (4/32) and drive(s) (2/32).

Never hear of a trailer-specific tire law.
Wow!! California actually doesn't have a law that another state HAS? I'm writing my congressman. But i can't do it via my cell phone while driving because of the cell phone law...and even if i could, the glare through the window's the law prohibits me from tinting is too much...DAMNIT!:|err

As far as citing for non=specific trailer tires...wow..that's a humdinger. There are some tires that are rated for "any position" like the michelin xps rib...but on the sidewall it doesn't have the "ST" prefix. I wonder if they're up on their game on that!

Weight ratings...maybe..non trailer tires..that's wild! I changed the original tires on my fifth wheel because they didn't even add up to enough weight that the trailer was rated..empty! I did it mainly so if i got stopped it's one less thing i'd have to worry about.

One trick you should do if you're near Yuma is pull a single jet ski trailers, but put 19.5" trucker dually tires on it...see if they feel that's safe ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts