Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Props to Barstow Brake & Tire . After two blowouts on tires that are less than
a year old called them from side of road and they had maxxis in stock. So we three wheeled it in yesterday about three and they had us on the road with four new in 45 minutes. Plus a fair price.

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts

·
custom boat lover
498 Posts
Where your bad tires Carlisles?
That is about all carlisles trailer tires are good for Is A garranty it will blow out and damage your fender and Trailer and some times even your trailer lights in that area. Man I hate those tires, around late 03 thru 05 I believe just about every boat we sold had those tires on it and more then most of them had a blow out between ca and the river and if you where one of the lucky ones that did not blow a tire then they would be bald in no time. Some trailers would last around 5-6 trips to the river be for it would go bald.:(:(

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Alignment

As I've stated before, trailer tire wear and blow outs can usually be attributed to mis alignment of the axles. 1/2 degree of error will result in 350 FEET of scuffing per MILE. Also, tire inflation is critical...I built some heavy duty trailers, (30+) with a GVW of 10K and all were shipped with Carlisle tires. We also discovered most of the torsion type axles were off, way off. We rejected those axles and used only "straight" ones. I've used several sets of Carlisle tries with zero failures. I did hear about a casing problem they had in the late 90s early 2000s, but the current tires are as good as any others....AND NO I have no connection to Carlisle dealers....Ray

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, it sounds like thousands and thousands of trailer axles are misaligned and therefore causing tire blowouts. Its like an swine flu epidemic of boat trailers.
Funny that the the tires are mostly carlisle don't you think?

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Wow, it sounds like thousands and thousands of trailer axles are misaligned and therefore causing tire blowouts. Its like an swine flu epidemic of boat trailers.
Funny that the the tires are mostly carlisle don't you think?
Also note that changing brands has also aligned your axels property automaticly.

Just a note, my trailer still has the oringinal Carlise's on it. Never a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
There has been more threads about Carlisle tires then you can believe. In my issue with those tires, I must say the West Coast Rep for Carlisle, Extreme Trailers and Carlisle all handle the issue with professionalism and put the customer 1st. We had the trailer inspected 2 times by 2 different companies, measured alignment and even did a weight distribution analysis to insure the weight was evenly distributed. Everything checked out perfect.

I personally think the problem with Carlisle tires comes down to only certain sizes not the entire product line. Every company has had a bad batch of something and for Carlisle I think it was their 235 - 60R -15's. I personally believe their side wall structure for those tires is toooooooo soft thus they can't handle the weight they are rated for causing the tread separations.

Overall Carlisle has made more good tires than bad. So I don't think it's fair to put all Carlisle tires on the do not use list just some specific sizes.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I repeat this in every carlisle tire thread. There are 2 places they make the tires. Canada and china, guess which ones are failing. :(:(

I have had the canadian version for 6 years now and never had a problem. I will most likely replace them before any big trip this year as 6 years is awhile on a set of single axle tires for safety concerns.

fwiw, the price difference was about 3-5 bucks a tire when I purchased the current set I have.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Also note that changing brands has also aligned your axels property automaticly.

Just a note, my trailer still has the oringinal Carlise's on it. Never a problem.
I can tell you I bought a brand new 32 gooseneck Pace trailer in 1995, came with four Carlisle’s. We raced a lot and still do but I would bet we went through 3 to 4 of them a year, one year we lost three going to Tucson. Then two years ago on my way home from Tucson again and after I had just put new brakes all the way around on the trailer I blew another Carlisle, but this time it took out the brake wires at 1 A.M, and I had to have the kids home for school and said at that moment (while under the trailer fixing the damage) I don’t care what it cost we are getting good tires. Two years later with four Denman’s E load I really don’t even have to check the PSI as it stays the same. Been to Denver twice and all over the western U.S at 110 degrees without a trailer tire problem after switching brands. I would have to say you and maybe a few others are very lucky if you have not had any problems with Carlisle tires.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
I can tell you I bought a brand new 32 gooseneck Pace trailer in 1995, came with four Carlisle’s. We raced a lot and still do but I would bet we went through 3 to 4 of them a year, one year we lost three going to Tucson. Then two years ago on my way home from Tucson again and after I had just put new brakes all the way around on the trailer I blew another Carlisle, but this time it took out the brake wires at 1 A.M, and I had to have the kids home for school and said at that moment (while under the trailer fixing the damage) I don’t care what it cost we are getting good tires. Two years later with four Denman’s E load I really don’t even have to check the PSI as it stays the same. Been to Denver twice and all over the western U.S at 110 degrees without a trailer tire problem after switching brands. I would have to say you and maybe a few others are very lucky if you have not had any problems with Carlisle tires.
With all I have read over the last years, yes I'd say I've been very lucky. These days it's keep in Havi and doesn't make any trips more than 3 miles. If I was to make a trip just for safety sake I would change them out.

·
custom boat lover
498 Posts
There has been more threads about Carlisle tires then you can believe. In my issue with those tires, I must say the West Coast Rep for Carlisle, Extreme Trailers and Carlisle all handle the issue with professionalism and put the customer 1st. We had the trailer inspected 2 times by 2 different companies, measured alignment and even did a weight distribution analysis to insure the weight was evenly distributed. Everything checked out perfect.

I personally think the problem with Carlisle tires comes down to only certain sizes not the entire product line. Every company has had a bad batch of something and for Carlisle I think it was their 235 - 60R -15's. I personally believe their side wall structure for those tires is toooooooo soft thus they can't handle the weight they are rated for causing the tread separations.

Overall Carlisle has made more good tires than bad. So I don't think it's fair to put all Carlisle tires on the do not use list just some specific sizes.
You are right the company was their to help out every time even steped up and paid for all the damage to the trailers, and yes for us it was certain sizes 14,s and 15's that where on the trailers we sold. And we did the hole alignment test on a lot of them with the help of some friends that are boat trailer manufacturer,s [REP] All was good. But now it seems like from around mid 06 till now we are still running the same size trailer tire with less problems from the past so they must have made a change some where. The newer tires do look different now so it just may be from canada and not china.:)bulb

·
Registered
49 Posts
As I've stated before, trailer tire wear and blow outs can usually be attributed to mis alignment of the axles. 1/2 degree of error will result in 350 FEET of scuffing per MILE. Also, tire inflation is critical...I built some heavy duty trailers, (30+) with a GVW of 10K and all were shipped with Carlisle tires. We also discovered most of the torsion type axles were off, way off. We rejected those axles and used only "straight" ones. I've used several sets of Carlisle tries with zero failures. I did hear about a casing problem they had in the late 90s early 2000s, but the current tires are as good as any others....AND NO I have no connection to Carlisle dealers....Ray
Ray you are right but there is already a class action sute against Carlisle due to this problem, in this case it is the tires they are junk. Hell we have had them blow out sitting on the spare tire holder on the trailer and not even on the ground and those tires were new never been used,

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Dates on tires

Ray you are right but there is already a class action sute against Carlisle due to this problem, in this case it is the tires they are junk. Hell we have had them blow out sitting on the spare tire holder on the trailer and not even on the ground and those tires were new never been used,
Recently there was a news article about "date codes" on new tires. It seems a lot of the new car blow out/roll over accidents got the attention of the NTSB. A boat trailer and a boat are seldom made at the same place, or at the same time. It is possible these "new" tires were, in fact, old, sun baked tires sitting in a lot waiting for a boat to go on them. As I said, I have no interest in any particular tire brand, (or oil filters either, old Fram threads), and have had several tread separation issues with Firestones on a motor home. I guess I'm just lucky with the latest set of Carlisles, THIS season. We'll see how they do next year..........Ray

PS: For years I've used "car" tires on boat trailers without any issues. Now, if you mention "trailer" most tire shops won't sell you car tires, just the expensive trailer treads and most of those are bias plys...........

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
I repeat this in every carlisle tire thread. There are 2 places they make the tires. Canada and china, guess which ones are failing. :(:( Carlson-jet

Where on the tire does it say that?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Where on the tire does it say that?
The white sticker/label on mine when I bought them as well as the sidewall. I have noticed the china on the sidewalls of some I have looked at the last couple of years when I kept reading these posts about problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
so i guess if China can't kill our pets or us with there food then they are going to get us with there tires. when are we going to learn.:)hand

1 - 19 of 19 Posts