Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have two boat/trailers that were purchased with Goodyear Marathon trailer tires installed (one dual axle and the other triple). In reading previous posts concerning trailer tires, they pretty much fall in line with my experience with the Marathons - POS! I've had one blow out and three tread seperations. I noticed one tire bulging and replaced it with the spare - while the bulging tire was on the spare mount it blew out within two weeks. I couldn't believe it! No load on the tire and the sidewall completely blew out. I always check my air pressures before hitting the road, so I know that has never been an issue. Anyways, I have heard good comments on the Greenball Towmaster and was considering going with that product. Any bad experiences with the Towmaster? I see that they have several different series (seems most are related to tire size) - I am looking at the ST (special trailer) product. Certainly can't beat the price. I've also heard about a brand called Kumho. Any positive comments with that brand? I know this is the place to go for opinions and comments - good and bad. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
we run the goodyears and have good results..I replaced then this year before desert storm and all is still good..They are rated for 80mph (it's how fast I was going by CHP standards)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
had good luck with goodyears on my toyahuler and will replace with the same soon.

For the boat trailer i am using car tires been good for 5 years.Trailer specific tires its a good idea to replace every 4 years no matter what.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seeing the way that the tires slide sideways, especially with the triple axle at the boat ramp while making the turn, I wonder if trailer specific tires have stronger sidewalls

·
Registered
50 Posts
seeing the way that the tires slide sideways, especially with the triple axle at the boat ramp while making the turn, I wonder if trailer specific tires have stronger sidewalls
Yea trailer tires usually have stiffer side walls and run a higher pressure then car tires. I have run LT truck tires before. I have goodyear on the trailer I have now and keep and close watch on them. I have heard or read nothing but good comments on the Greenball tires. Are the Goodyears 14" - 15" or 16" tires you had trouble with? Also do yo know the date of MFG for the tires?

Tire issues suck. Hopefully no damage to anything.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i always run LT tires or light truck tires run the highest ply rating you can get and buy top of the line in a good brand check the side wall for manufacture date nothing over 1 year old 6 months would be better pump them close to max pressure then check when hot then drive like your hairs on fire and dont look back

·
The HMFIC
1,711 Posts
alot of tires are 6 ply i just got some 8 ply good year marathons this year. i cant believe youve had such bad luck with your marathons. my boat trailer and my 5th wheel have marathons and i have not had a prob with separation or bludgeing. i personally love the marathons ive tried others with bad results and have had the most sucess with the marathons

·
Dreaming of snow
1,046 Posts
We have Greenballs on two of our dump trailers. One is a 10k and the other a 15k. Also have them on the dually. The trailer tires have been great so far. Also, on our dually they come with a 3 year warranty for anything that can happen with a full replacement, not a prorated warranty. Since we are constantly haulling to the dump we pick up nails and screws. Beengreat so far.

·
You who rock I salute you
3,207 Posts
Trailer tire pressure is everything.
Keeping it constantly monitored and correct.

Best place to buy tires is Americas/Discount.
They are the only tire store we know of that offers a really good stock warranty and an colossal, optional, very cheap, extended warranty on trailer tires.

Get the highest load rating you can,, even if they have to order them and it's a one day wait.
Well worth the wait.

You'll feel the vastly improved difference too when you tow with the higher load rating tires.
Tire Pressure, Tire Pressure, Tire pressure is the whole dealio.
You are pissing in the wind if you aren't conscience about correct inflation.

Marathons have been fine on our light weight trailers, but on the heavier stuff Greenball all the way folks.
Marathons blow like cherry bombs eventually on trailers over 8K GVW.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Trailer tire pressure is everything.
Keeping it constantly monitored and correct.

Best place to buy tires is Americas/Discount.
They are the only tire store we know of that offers a really good stock warranty and an colossal, optional, very cheap, extended warranty on trailer tires.

Get the highest load rating you can,, even if they have to order them and it's a one day wait.
Well worth the wait.

You'll feel the vastly improved difference too when you tow with the higher load rating tires.
Tire Pressure, Tire Pressure, Tire pressure is the whole dealio.
You are pissing in the wind if you aren't conscience about correct inflation.

Marathons have been fine on our light weight trailers, but on the heavier stuff Greenball all the way folks.
Marathons blow like cherry bombs eventually on trailers over 8K GVW.
I totally agree with the Americas/Discount Tires, I get all my tires from them and have done for the past 10 years. I've also used their warranty a couple of times and there is NO HASSLE! I got a brand new replacement on both tires, no questions asked!

Also I just got all new Carlisle tires for mine and the installer told me to keep the pressure up at 55psi!

·
New here
4,028 Posts
Working in our family-owned tire shop, I can't tell you how many GY Marathons I replaced WELL before their tread life was up. When I bought the boat, it already had Marathons on it. One blew on the way home from Scottsdale. Another one blew on the first trip to Laughlin. I tried to give them an honest run. Couldn't stand it. I put on six 8-ply Towmaster Vs. That was 4 years ago. Other than scuff-wear from turns, they still look new.

For value and warranty, I don't think Greenball Towmasters can be beat. In all the years we have sold them, I have seen only one or two that we had to warranty. I took SEVERAL off that had given a full tread life.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I've got goodyear marathons on all my trailers. They have worked excellent for me. Always check psi. never exceed load ratings. After a blowout and tread separation on my toyhauler with towmasters on the same trip, just topped pressure off before the trip too.

They were standard towmasters from whatever Carson trailers installed I don't know what ply or rating they were?

I put 4 new GM on and haven't looked back. I've heard quite a few stories about trouble with GM's but I wonder if it is a problem with the tire or the people using them.

Remember when all those firestone failures were happening with ford explorers. Another separate investigation found that tire pressure or lack there of was the number 1 reason the tires were failing.

Who knows, I check my tires before every trip and I've been good. To each their own.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Every trip i take with my toyhauler i always check the tire pressure and top off.I dont think many do that and just drive off,Same goes for loading on toyhaulers i am sure many dont realize they are at or above the weight rating.Had the goodyears for 3 years so far.

Mine are the d rated ones

·
New here
4,028 Posts
One problem GY had early-on was warehouse stacking. Michelin made this mistake also, where we also had several blow-outs.

Generally, tires are stacked on their sides, in columns, when waiting to be shipped to wholesale/distributors. So, say they are stacked in columns of 8. The top part of the tier is nice and fluffy. Not much weight on them. Now, get to the bottom of the stack and they have been supporting all of the upper tires on their SIDEWALLs. The bottom tires have been squashed almost flat from the weight. This tends to move the belts around inside of the carcass. Or, the other theory is that it puts a crease or two or ten in the carcass - creating weak spots. Warm/hot day, heavy load, the weak spot(s) gives out.

So, that theory explains why some people have great service from them and others not so much. Depends on WHERE your particular tires were in the stack - and for how long.

Michelin recognized the problem, circa 1994, and have not had much problem since.

Greenball has always stored tires horizontally. I toured one of their facilities years ago and IF they happened to stack tires, they were only 4-high. Smart peeps.

You'll notice in tire shops, the tires are generally lined up in racks HORIZONTALLY. We try to avoid come-backs, so treating the tires as good as possible is kinda important. We can't UNDO what has been done prior to our hands on them, but can do as much as possible to make sure the defects don't come from our handling.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.