Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often have you or do you change your tires. I have a 2004 and am on my third set as of today. WTF? The first batch had bad valve stems and blew because of that and they basically just sucked. The second set are cracking non stop. I have tried Trail American and tow masters. Not really getting glowing reviews from me.

· Registered
1,548 Posts
I learned the hard way........if one blows, buy 4! ;)
Was that 4 for the price of one??

And for tires i use passenger car tires on my boat trailer been using them 5 years so far.They are rated high enough for my trailer boat combo and arent as sensitive as trailer only tires.I had tow masters on before and they wore out fast all of a sudden and it aint an alignment thing cause my cuurent tires still look like new after 5 years.

Toyhauler another story its alot heavier and gets trailer tires that i replace every 4 years no matter what.When one goes the others soon follow.

· Lavey Me Alone
1,404 Posts
When one goes the others soon follow.
That's been my experience.....

I am running auto radials also. Not because I want to really, but because my Extreme trailer has a the "low profile" package, and that's all that'll fit w/o raising the fenders. Looks cool and all, I just think bias-ply is better for trailers, due to the side loading of tight turns. It's not the weight, they are rated for the weight (barely), it's the side-loading and twisting tight turns (at the ramp for example) that destroy radials.

· Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Just got a blow out on the way out to Havasu recently.. Changed the tire on the 40, felt like I was on the Sun... I purchased 4 new tires in Havasu, they were almost 4 years old. I've been told every four years they should be replaced, they get old and start to crack. So, every 3-4 years replace them..

· Registered
600 Posts
Ya, just blew one coming back from Elsinore last monday, they where brand new 200 miles on them. I think i'm gonna keep two spares... the just in case factor. Nothin like overkill when your in Derest Center.:D

· Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Ya, just blew one coming back from Elsinore last monday, they where brand new 200 miles on them. I think i'm gonna keep two spares... the just in case factor. Nothin like overkill when your in Derest Center.:D
Not a bad idea.... I was thinking the same thing.. Once you get one flat, then you're thinkin' oh shit, when's the next one comin? :)

· You who rock I salute you
3,207 Posts
What load ratings are you buying, and are you absolutely heroic about checking the tire pressure,, all the time?

E rating is essential, but D's will be ok.

Do you have the steel wheels with mini rust spots at the joints?
If so you may have a thousand mile leak, enough to kill off your tires.

I change the wheels and tires.

· Registered
1,548 Posts
One thing i have read regardiing radials is even though they are rated as say E rated they are not actually 10 ply tires.

Bias ply tires are rated by how many plies they have.Radials are less but suppose to be as strong as the older style tires.

I dont think many know this.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What load ratings are you buying, and are you absolutely heroic about checking the tire pressure,, all the time?

E rating is essential, but D's will be ok.

Do you have the steel wheels with mini rust spots at the joints?
If so you may have a thousand mile leak, enough to kill off your tires.

I change the wheels and tires.

I am fanatical about tire pressure on the trailer and motorhome. Really. Now, one down and I bought 4. :|err

· Colts fan & Stoker owner
7,834 Posts
Me too and thats why I run nitrogen in all my tires.

I am fanatical about tire pressure on the trailer and motorhome. Really. Now, one down and I bought 4. :|err

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.