Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting new treads and wheels on my trailer this winter. It already has 9" wide fenders.

What is going to be better 14" wheels or 15" wheels and why?

Was thinking of 235/60/14 or 15 tires. That is the size that Extreme uses when they do a low profile option on their trailers

What is a good brand for this application? BFGoodrich? Goodyear?

Trailer weight is 1100 lbs trailer boat is around 2200 lbs so lets say under 3500 lbs total.

Anyones input would be cool.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Those are both tires you would have a hard time finding if you were out of the BIG city. Call a few shops and see if they stock either. If you are going to run them I would keep two spares if I was on the road.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
I'm putting new treads and wheels on my trailer this winter. It already has 9" wide fenders.

What is going to be better 14" wheels or 15" wheels and why?

Was thinking of 235/60/14 or 15 tires. That is the size that Extreme uses when they do a low profile option on their trailers

What is a good brand for this application? BFGoodrich? Goodyear?

Trailer weight is 1100 lbs trailer boat is around 2200 lbs so lets say under 3500 lbs total.

Anyones input would be cool.

Thanks

Don't go much bigger I have them on my trailer, and it will float.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
In the FWIW category , a year or so back I stepped up and bought actual STG trailer tires for the big boat and got rid of the low pro's It tows like nothing I've ever experienced now !!

·
About 500' AGL
2,470 Posts
I say go with some 13" 100 spokes and call it a day. I'm sure Finnegan has some left over from his mini truckin days....or mayb Busby...hil:)

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tom, I've always had trailers with marathon trailer tires, unfortunately they won't fit under these fenders even the 205/75-14... Trying to figure out my options without getting new fenders.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My Ellis trailer has 9" fenders and came with Mastercraft Avenger's, P235-60R14 on 8 1/2" wide wheels. The tires fill up the fenders real nice, but don't rub either. The trailer also has what Ellis called "the wide & low package", if that means anything?

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
i have 215/60/r14 belted radial trailer tires. the guy at big0 suggested khumo's, so that's what i got. they've got between 60-70k on 'em, never have had a problem... boat tows better with these than the last set i had...

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Trailer tires do pull better than car tires! Due to the sidewall construction and ply rating. Stops the slight sway! 14" are available but harder to come by also. My .02 WT:)devil

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Ellis trailer has 9" fenders and came with Mastercraft Avenger's, P235-60R14 on 8 1/2" wide wheels. The tires fill up the fenders real nice, but don't rub either. The trailer also has what Ellis called "the wide & low package", if that means anything?
any pics?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
any pics?
Sorry, the boat is in Havasu, I'm in So. Cal. I'll look at my pic's this evening and see what I have and I'll let you know. I will be in Havasu over Xmas if you can wait till then? Also, I was thinking; the placement of the fender on the trailer, and offset of the wheel, will make a difference as to how it clears as well. So just because we both have 9" fenders and the same tires doesn't mean they will clear/look the same. If you can wait till Xmas, and you know what measurements you need, I'd be happy to get them for you, along with the pic's.

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
My old trailer had 185/50/13 BFG's on it. Any of you guys know how hard it was to find one of those??? VERY!!
Deffinatly get a tire that is common and looks good as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quickjet, if you ever have any tires you are having a hard time tracking down, definitely check out https://www.kenjones.com. They have been able to find tires for me for equipment that I thought would be impossible to find. Definitely worth checking out.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sorry, the boat is in Havasu, I'm in So. Cal. I'll look at my pic's this evening and see what I have and I'll let you know. I will be in Havasu over Xmas if you can wait till then? Also, I was thinking; the placement of the fender on the trailer, and offset of the wheel, will make a difference as to how it clears as well. So just because we both have 9" fenders and the same tires doesn't mean they will clear/look the same. If you can wait till Xmas, and you know what measurements you need, I'd be happy to get them for you, along with the pic's.
Hey Steve,
I got those from my son, Tony.
He is a tire and wheel wholesaler. If you give him the tire size and make he can give you exact dimensions.
BTW: Happy New Year dude

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hey Steve,
I got those from my son, Tony.
He is a tire and wheel wholesaler. If you give him the tire size and make he can give you exact dimensions.
BTW: Happy New Year dude
Hey Bob, good to hear from you. Actually, the trailer I was mentioning was for my placecraft, not the cp. I never heard anything from widowmaker so I assume he's got it handled. Happy New Years to you as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts