Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question.. On my trailer i had a bearing melt down and replaced the hubs. I have been fanatical about checking them and keeping them greased... Can i over grease the bearings/hubs/spindle?

Time taking doing this is minimal.. Rather spend time preventing shit then fixing shit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are you running bearing buddies? I just keep em greased and no probs, if you over grease it will just push through the seal.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you running bearing buddies? I just keep em greased and no probs, if you over grease it will just push through the seal.

My hubs have zerg fittings on the back side so the grease gets pushed forward... Oh yeh baby!!!

But then there is my issue. I see grease on my rims which makes me think im over doing it.. However not sure if it is better to over or under grease...

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
switch to a synthetic grease, it will provide lubrication
even when wet. I dont think you can overgrease them.

One trick I was taught ...install your seals backwards
let the grease out... stop water from coming in..
this may help from getting the grease on the outside of your rims.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
if you put 'em in the water when they're hot after a long tow, the rapid cooling will create negative pressure in the bearing housing and pull water in. if you're going to drop something in right after towing awhile, hit the zerks/buddys with a couple shots right before you put it in the water. that will help keep the water out.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
switch to a synthetic grease, it will provide lubrication
even when wet. I don't think you can overgrease them.

One trick I was taught ...install your seals backwards
let the grease out... stop water from coming in..
this may help from getting the grease on the outside of your rims.
Yep I'm using synthetic marine bearing grease. no issues so far I'm just gun shy after the last incident.. thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts