Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dumped the motor in the boat and got everything hooked up and fired for the first time on the trailer. Noticed when punching the starter button to engage the cylenoid, the prop shaft was spinning. Checked the shifter to ensure that is was in neutral (Park, Reverse, Nuetral, 2nd, and 3rd) - it was. Didn't make sense. Put it in park - it's a Turbo 400. Then it didn't spin when I started. Started up the motor, it ran, started to check the timing. However, the transmission started feeling warm. Didn't make sense, so I shut her down, dried the boat down, and put her away since I was running out of time before needing to hit the road for San Fancisco.

Has anyone seen this before? Next weekend I'll head to my parents and rip the tranny out and get her to the shop. The transmission worked great the last time that she ran. All I did was drop the pan, changed the filter and put a new filter in her. I put Amsoil transmission fluid in her to, which I'm not too excited about loosing that.

I will note that when the motor was running, it would stall due to the load of the transmission after running for a minute or two. Figuring this is definately a transmission issue, would like to understand what's going on though.

Thanks for any guidance or insight.

Sean

·
Steady Rollin
1,148 Posts
From what i'm reading, thats all normal behavior if you are running without a torque converter.

Without a TC running it in park lets some power get put to the clutches, since there is no TC to absorb it. Same goes for running in neutral, without a TC some power still gets sent to the propshaft.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
From what i'm reading, thats all normal behavior if you are running without a torque converter.

Without a TC running it in park lets some power get put to the clutches, since there is no TC to absorb it. Same goes for running in neutral, without a TC some power still gets sent to the propshaft.
What sintax said plus the fact that in a boat the only cooler is the water! Uless your'e trailer is under water things will build heat and build it rather qwick. M

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Sounds normal to me. You will get a little power transfer in neutral. Not good on the strut bushing on the trailer. Run in park so the shaft doesn't turn unless you plan on keeping a hose on the strut bushings. Keep in mind things are turning in the trans regardless of whether you are in gear or not and this will create heat. Warm to the touch is nothing on a T400. When running they get hot enough where you don't want to touch. (well over 140ºF).

If the motor stalled while running in neutral and you have a rubber strut bushing you may have killed the bushing and it may have grabbed the shaft. Just a thought. Not enough info to really diagnose well. If it stalled in park my guess is it was not from the transmission given you had no problems last time out. Normally transmissions break under power, not on the trailer.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the information. I think that you just saved me a week of work from ripping the tranny out, bringing it to the shop and re-installing it. The tranny didn't get that hot, so I think I'm ok there. We're playing with the timing, since I pulled the MSD to prime the oil pump, check mechanical gauges under the dash. It sounds good, but the stopping may be do to needing to better seperate the spark plug wires with spreaders. Also, noticed that their is blow by on the valve cover breathers - more than I would like to see. Oil pressure is up around 80 psi when starting up.

Thanks again - part of me is being a little paranoid and trying to understand what is going on. Sean.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
If you have blow by at idle it is likely just condensation burning off (steam). Your dieing at idle issue could also be fuel (as in too much) fouling the plugs, or the idle just not quite high enough.

·
It's good to be alive
1,526 Posts
When you put the drive coupler into the trans did you make sure it engaged with the pump? What was the play in the spacer between the drive plate and the drive coupler?

·
Maxwell Smartass
353 Posts
If i remember correctly it's supposed to be around 0.080". The prop turning in neutral is normal, that's what you have park for, just remember once the motor is running you can't shift back INTO park from any other gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts