Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. When do we need a transmission. I was thinking of putting one in a 18-19 Flat or runner bottom BBC apx 600-800 hp. A car trans is very heavy. Thinking of doing it. I have some 400's and I think I have one power-glide left. What would work better. Also what do you use for a torque converter? I was going to eliminate converter and bolt it direct. So thoughts and ideas please. Have a nice and safe weekend. Later.........:)hand

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
I have a PG with a short tailshaft configuration, no converter, about a 12" driveline into a 10 degree VD. I basically only use it to go from drive into neutral because my vd is covered up by seats. I dont use reverse because idle on my TR is too fast and would most likely swamp it. 1st gear is so low it can only be used at idle, good for marinas, but I dont do marinas too often. Its balanced well, works pretty good and no complaints for now.

·
Registered
399 Posts
This should be good again. I know I have asked alot of questions:)bulb, and information and opinions :(:( keep coming. :)hammers

The velvet drives and pargagons from information and opinions:(:(, are rated for about 550 HP, so pushing HP overthat is questionable on design purposes.

I am switching form a PG FWD-N-REV to a Turbo 400, for getting close to 800HP and having dock manner gear. Buts its in a sanger mini day cruiser with lots of room.

An 18-19 flat is not much room for seating configuration and depth to mount trans.

You really have to look how you would use the boat, I know if I went back to an 18 flat, and a 600-800HP motor, A direct drive would fit the bill:)devil

Try searching transmissions in the forums and you will probably get several threads, hope this helps, and good luck getting out there for summer:)hand

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Not meaning to thread-jack, but I have been wanting to apply some info towards transmissions.

I am currently converting my 1965 Impala SS to a 4L80E trans (electronically-controlled TH400 internals, 4-speed overdrive) with a 427. I know this trans is WAY too heavy for most guys with smaller V-drives that want to stay light, but for a cruiser I see some interesting benefits.

Although FOUR speeds are a bit much for a boat, it is still more control over the entire range and essentially makes one boat four DIFFERENT boats. My main idea for really FAST boats is - the stand alone controllers have inputs for steering-wheel-mounted "paddle" shifters or up/down shift buttons. The trans can be run in "full manual" and shifts can be "tapped" up and down without ever taking a hand off of the wheel.

Again, probably WAY overkill for most boats, but just thought I would get it out there in case it seemed to fit anyone's needs.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I've used an Art Carr TH400 since I put the turbo motor in the boat.
I personally wouldn't own a Vdrive without a trans.

Since the weight has always been part of these discussions I just weighed my trans on the bathroom scale. 148# including the oil but not including the Hughes direct drive plate that bolts to the flex plate.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Probably zero!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Evilforse

:)i have used the th 400,s since about 1968 with no problems, mostly in v-drive day cruser,s & some with a ton of h.p. I had the tran,s built w reverse manual valve bodies & no park! Yes 1st gear is usles excepet for the5 mph zones! I,m pretty sure this would apply to the ford & mopar guy,s also [ just so i dont piss somebody off]:d ok i out smarted myself with the lil dimarco hydro rather than stepin up to a scott owens or lenco i went with the short pg & it works great as long as i forget about 1st gear! The pedal shifter i made works great just hit the right & left pedal at the same time! If i can help ya give me a call! Andy

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I use all three speeds of the trans every time out.
There are no wake zones every place I boat.

Tuning it so I can drop it right into 3rd gear from a 900 rpm idle with 60% gears and without touching the gas pedal was a challenge.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I run a 400. Love it but would add one point.

There is no neutral. Prop is always spinning, more than just a bit.. I "drive" around the ramp area in neutral when i'm killing time at docks waiting for the truck. Slow circles, cruisin' around etc, but always moving..

Only issue is on the trailer.. I can't run the boat, test, check timing, etc. Pita in my opinion.

I know why you don't want park (false parks would suck!!!), but I would recommend keeping a way to disengage the v-drive when on the trailer. Then it would be perfect!!!Mine's buried in upholstery.. Definitely on the list of improvements though..

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
There is no neutral. Prop is always spinning, more than just a bit.. I "drive" around the ramp area in neutral when i'm killing time at docks waiting for the truck. Slow circles, cruisin' around etc, but always moving..
My trans did that the way it came from Art Carr.
After the most recent rebuild it does NOT move the boat forward in neutral.

Something in the rebuild clearances (or lack of) must cause the prop to spin in neutral.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
What Mark said above. I love the Park feature for changing props, running on the trailer. I use a small plastic plug in the Rex type shifter to block out the park detent when running. In neutral on the Schiada, the shaft turns slightly but I can stop it with my hand, carefully! Might try a good synthetic fluid in your trans. I use the tractor heavy duty hydraulic stuff in all my automatics, available at Napa.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Trans

Do yourself a favor and spend the coin on a owens or lenco ! They are compact , reliable , and will handle just about anything you will bolt to it ! These items are not cheap but you can find them used and the service / rebuild is cheaper than at auto trans ! Not to mention you can dump it into gear at higher rpm to holeshot fast ditch pump boats!

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
Hi guys. When do we need a transmission. I was thinking of putting one in a 18-19 Flat or runner bottom BBC apx 600-800 hp. A car trans is very heavy. Thinking of doing it. I have some 400's and I think I have one power-glide left. What would work better. Also what do you use for a torque converter? I was going to eliminate converter and bolt it direct. So thoughts and ideas please. Have a nice and safe weekend. Later.........:)hand
If it's a lake boat with modest HP like you're talking about running, you don't really need a trans. It doesn't take much time to learn how to deal with docks and trailering the boat with just an in/out and no reverse. Trans use up HP, add weight and take up space, all of which you'd usually prefer not to give up in a smaller boat.
Usually, you don't need a low gear in a small flat, but I did talk to a guy a while back that liked to run bigger gears than he could pull with the HP he had. He used high gear in the trans as kinda an overdrive to lower engine RPM at fast crusing speeds. It worked for him.
Once you get to something bigger like a 21'+ daycruiser a glide or TH400 is nice, especially with big HP and gears in the v-drive. When you got 50's in the box, the low gear is nice to get through 5 MPH zones or coming up to speed. Either a glide or a TH400 can be built to easily handle 2500 HP+ plus you have reverse.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Do yourself a favor and spend the coin on a owens or lenco ! !
Is there a neutral ?

Before I bought the TH400 I asked a well known pro racer about a lenco for my lake boat and his response was, "you don't want one of those"

What are the negatives to a Lenco ?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Trans

A lenco clutch has a nuetral / engage function, a two speed lenco is a separate case that needs to be mated to the clutch , the lenco requires air ( co2) to engage , the owens requires air ( co2) to disengage ! Im not 100% but i do believe that owens makes a clutch /2speed in one case but please do not hold me to that ! In a lake application with respectable hp , i would run a owens and gear and prop it correctly ! The clutch deal is also easier on the v drive dogs ! But it is definatly in gear when activated ! If you want convience ( auto trans with reverse ) if you want performance ( clutch /trans ) just my .02

1 - 20 of 38 Posts