Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building my own transom adapter, the plate i'm using for the main peice is 3/16" thick. I have about 3/16" or so clearance around the majority of the pump minus a few cuts for the jetaway ears and what not. I plan on making it modular so i can pull the pump easy. For the plates that bolt to this plate and press up against the pump how thick should they be? I have 1/8" aluminum, it seams fine but if i can get away with 1/16th i think it would look better.

·
steelcomp was here
26,527 Posts
Shaun,
1/8" is usually plenty. Here's a couple examples.
This was the first version on my Bahner:

The second and final was when I decided to go to Calgo steering:

Lots of time with cardboard making templates. It would have been a lot easier if I had done the second one before the suction hsg. was powder coated.:)sphss

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I've done 3/16, 1/4 & 3/8. IMO, 3/8 though heavier, is far superior when it comes to preventing leaks, though my boat is a 21 footer and probably sees a little more chop and therefore more stress on the transom. I keep the clearance as tight as possible around the suction housing. Hand hole is all the way outside.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
If your going that far, the AT kit has the reverse cable seal incorperated in it, available from your favorite vendor.
PART # TK5001

1 - 9 of 9 Posts