Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Could I make one of those flat plate transom covers that I see on a lot of the boats here, for my boat? It would make bowl and impeller work a lot easier down the road. Just to clarify, this is not a question of whether or not I can make one, because that wouldn't be a problem, and it would be free for me, this is about whether or not it would work. I don't think a flat plate would be very practical because it is not set back as far as a lot of the ones on here (well it's not set back at all). But, what if I come out to where the plate goes right behind the water inlet (right about where that scratch is in the paint) and the hand hole cover would still be inside the boat. Basically, I would be making a regular looking transom, but with much shorter sides and a pump shaped hole instead of a round hole and it would be a 2 piece cover. Just a thought as I was looking at this picture I took tonight. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Here's the picture that inspired all this. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Yes, you can. Lot of work though and not really worth it IMO unless you do the setback first.:D

Really though, if your transom is flat(check with a straight edge) Keep the stock transom adapter, you dont need any silicone on the gaskets(use some grease instead), that way removal of the transom adapter is easy.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you can. Lot of work though and not really worth it IMO unless you do the setback first.:D

Really though, if your transom is flat(check with a straight edge) Keep the stock transom adapter, you dont need any silicone on the gaskets(use some grease instead), that way removal of the transom adapter is easy.
I didn't use silicone on the gasket. I put silicone all the way around after the transom was bolted in. Grease? How would that work? Thanks.

It might be worth it if my impeller gets a big ding in it because then I wouldn't have to worry about breaking the water seal on the boat. Or if I want to change my bowl out to a slit bowl, which I really want to do, but can't do it right now. All I would have in it is a bunch of time, unfortunately the only time that I have a bunch of spare time is in the summertime, when the boat is supposed to be in the water all the time. Damn! I want to get paid to work on my boat!:D

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I didn't use silicone on the gasket. I put silicone all the way around after the transom was bolted in. Grease? How would that work? Thanks.

It might be worth it if my impeller gets a big ding in it because then I wouldn't have to worry about breaking the water seal on the boat. Or if I want to change my bowl out to a slit bowl, which I really want to do, but can't do it right now. All I would have in it is a bunch of time, unfortunately the only time that I have a bunch of spare time is in the summertime, when the boat is supposed to be in the water all the time. Damn! I want to get paid to work on my boat!:D

Thank you.
If your transom is straight & the adapter fits flush you dont need any silicone. Use some marine wheel bearing grease instead. Dont know why it works, it just does. Or if you want to go to the work to make a set of proper fitting plates, have at it.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 11 of 11 Posts