Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
are these 2 the same in a legal sense? or do you have to run an "all around" light pole? how high does the light pole have to be?
I believe it is like 42 inches above the highest point on the boat which would make me need a 48 inch because of the wind screen

·
Displaced Azian
783 Posts
I could be wrong here,, (as I usually am) but if memory serves me correctly, the pole light is what is called an "anchor light" and is not the same as a transom light.

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
Here is the AZ requirement:

An all-round white light (if vessel is less than 39.4 feet long) or both a masthead light and a sternlight. These lights must be visible from a distance of at least two miles away on a dark, clear night. The all-round white light (or the masthead light) must be at least 3.3 feet (one meter) higher than the sidelights.

·
Crazy Eights
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could be wrong here,, (as I usually am) but if memory serves me correctly, the pole light is what is called an "anchor light" and is not the same as a transom light.
i know they are 2 different lights, im asking in a legal sense, is a transom light sufficient for a rear white light or is it manditory to have a light pole?

·
Crazy Eights
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

An all-round white light (if vessel is less than 39.4 feet long) or both a masthead light and a sternlight. These lights must be visible from a distance of at least two miles away on a dark, clear night. The all-round white light (or the masthead light) must be at least 3.3 feet (one meter) higher than the sidelights.
thanks, thats what i needed to know ;)

·
Registered
378 Posts
thats 3.5 feet!! that doesnt sound right at all.
found this under boat navigation

Placement of Navigation Lights
Boats under 23' may carry a 360° lantern or flashlight in lieu of running lights. Also, international regulations allow sailboats under 65.6' (20 meters) to display a single masthead tricolor navigation light while under sail. All-around lights must be a minimum of 1 meter (39 3/8") above the red/green sidelights on boats under 12 meters (39.4 ft).

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
i know they are 2 different lights, im asking in a legal sense, is a transom light sufficient for a rear white light or is it manditory to have a light pole?

Mandatory to have a light pole that is visible 360* is the simple answer.

Hopefully Boatcop will be along shortly to offer more clarification on it as there are some variables, such as where you're boating, as I recall.

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
Mandatory to have a light pole that is visible 360* is the simple answer.

Hopefully Boatcop will be along shortly to offer more clarification on it as there are some variables, such as where you're boating, as I recall.
Actually, no. The little piece of shit boat I have now has a forward facing white light on the top of the windshield, and a rearward facing white light on the transom. Pretty sure that it meets the masthead/sternlight requirement

·
Crazy Eights
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i havent been out night cruising in years....but i remember as a kid our mast light was blinding....not in the sense it was too bight, but the glare off the boat made it impossible to see anything around you. it seemed safer driving without it. ...not that we did that...we would shut the lights off and float and once your eyes adjusted to the dark, you could see much more of your surroundings.

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
Actually, no. The little piece of shit boat I have now has a forward facing white light on the top of the windshield, and a rearward facing white light on the transom. Pretty sure that it meets the masthead/sternlight requirement
The way I'm reading it, with the 39" clause in there, it wouldn't. However, size may come into play on this one as well... ;)

Lots of variables on this, which is why I said the simplest thing would be to go with the white light on the pole visible 360* to stay out of trouble. :D

·
Nordic 35' Flame
529 Posts
I have a masthead light and a sternlight. The masthead light is on a 3 way switch, On/Off/On so that while underway, it shines forward and the stern light and nav lights are also lit. While anchored, you flip the switch the other way and it's a 360 white light, stern and nav lights are off.

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
are these 2 the same in a legal sense? or do you have to run an "all around" light pole? how high does the light pole have to be?
I dont' know the exact code, but i think a 360* lite and they won't bug you. Have you seen the LED ones that the baller boats have? I think one of those might cut down on glare. I admit, mine makes it tough to see at night too. I turn it off to get a bearing a lot of times, then turn it back on.

Ballers, how are the LED lights at nite, would they work on smaller boats when the light is within a few feet from the driver?

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
Ballers, how are the LED lights at nite, would they work on smaller boats when the light is within a few feet from the driver?
Most of the newer masthead lights they sell (like at West Marine) have a collar on the bottom to keep the light from shining down. Since the masthead (and tall 360 lights) are well above your head when you are driving (seated), it keeps the light out of your eyes better than the old ones....even if they are mounted close to the driver.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
i havent been out night cruising in years....but i remember as a kid our mast light was blinding....not in the sense it was too bight, but the glare off the boat made it impossible to see anything around you. it seemed safer driving without it. ...not that we did that...we would shut the lights off and float and once your eyes adjusted to the dark, you could see much more of your surroundings.
Brad if you have a stern light on the boat already you need to figure out a way to turn it off.. Or even disconnect it.

If you have the round 360, and the stern light on you will get harassed by the popo..

On a side note, do not EVER turn your lights off at night unless the boat is docked. People floating down the river with their lights off, are usually lower on the food chain then people driving down the river with their lights on if you know what I'm sayin.

RD

·
Crazy Eights
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brad if you have a stern light on the boat already you need to figure out a way to turn it off.. Or even disconnect it.

If you have the round 360, and the stern light on you will get harassed by the popo..
interesting...thanks for that info...i was going to install both (stern light would be more of a swim step light)...if i end up doing it, ill put it on its own seperate switch.

On a side note, do not EVER turn your lights off at night unless the boat is docked. People floating down the river with their lights off, are usually lower on the food chain then people driving down the river with their lights on if you know what I'm sayin.

RD
this was out in the middle of havasu back in the day....but i know what youre saying, i wouldnt ever shut my lights off anywhere on the parker strip....thats just nuts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts