Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 19' Bahner that has a rotted out transom, mainly around where the exhaust tips were, but pretty sure the whole transom is rotted... Any pointers/tips/advice? Ive done some glass work and it looks pretty easy... any more to it that removing the rotted wood, and glassing in new wood? Any ideas what it would cost to have this done? Just weighting out my options at this point... Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I just got done going thru what you are about to go thru. On my Rogers, the exhaust tips that were installed before I bought the boat were not properly installed and the wood around the tips rotted bad from years of leaking. Last summer I took the boat out over 15 times like this and it was a major pain in the ass! I was always worried about it sinking. I ended up doing 2 bilge pumps (1 automatic and 1 manual) Anyways, this winter I decided to go w/ OT headers and I took the boat down to Havasu to get the holes filled and the wood repaired. The proper way of repairing it is to pull the engine and pump, grind out ALL of the old wood (rotted and not rotted) and replace the wood and then glass over that. It's pricey but like I said it's the correct way of doing it. The shop gave me a much less expensive option but I didn't feel comfortable going that route. How bad is your transom wood? On one side, mine was so bad that I had to install a piece of dimanod plate so the swim step nuts had something to bite in to.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The hardest part of this IMO is the "grunt work of tear out" ,We will be starting a similar deal on a Rogers in a week will have some pics and information for you if it would help Tom

·
Registered
794 Posts
My biggest question, is when you add the new plywood, do you just use resin to between the wood and outer glass? any type of adhesive?
JMO, I would layup a layer of mat and cloth between the wood and transom. And use clamps and a 2X4 to hold it up.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
JMO, I would layup a layer of mat and cloth between the wood and transom. And use clamps and a 2X4 to hold it up.
Agreed, but with no cloth, just 6oz mat and clamp her down. Then finish it off with more mat then a nice cloth layup.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Hemet, do your'e self a favor and get hooked up with sher-fab in Ontario Ca. they have a web site and know more about glass work and how to do it right than alot of people. they sell everything from aerosil to wax paper for fiberglass work! I agree with everybody here about H/D resin "don't go there" Call the guys at sher-fab and talk to brian(he knows boats) I am not related in any way just know who knows! Good luck and ask them about wood prep! It might surprise you! Mark

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hemet, do your'e self a favor and get hooked up with sher-fab in Ontario Ca. they have a web site and know more about glass work and how to do it right than alot of people. they sell everything from aerosil to wax paper for fiberglass work! I agree with everybody here about H/D resin "don't go there" Call the guys at sher-fab and talk to brian(he knows boats) I am not related in any way just know who knows! Good luck and ask them about wood prep! It might surprise you! Mark
X2 they are great people over there! Great prices too. If brian can't help you ask for AJ.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Benneteau of france trained us to soak a thin set resin into the wood then glass it over. they also requested that all thru hulls be either glassed in or sealed with 3m 5200 during instalation...... with that being said I seen them pull a dealership for not doing that

1 - 20 of 22 Posts