Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does PB have any folks that compete ?? If so, how long ? what type of bike are you riding presently ??, and what length events ??

Thanks, Scott:)hand

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
Does riding dirtbikes, floating in Humbug, and shooting assault rifles at beer cans count??? :)sphss:D

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
One of the guys my better half works with competes all the time. He routinely places in the top 3 for his age group. He's a pretty mellow guy, and in great shape. He's 43.

·
Got Any Pix?
425 Posts
I do. I've only done sprints and never trained for the swim (my kriptonite). But I still have lots of fun. Because of a knee injury I haven't done on in almost a year but hope to do 3 by the end of this year. I ride a Bianchi 928. Not a tri bike but I'm not that serious about it.

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
I raced road bikes successfully for several years and I had a friend who liked to train with me. Dude went on to compete in several ironmans. That fawker could run like the wind. He'd kick ass on the swim, watch everyone go by him on the bike, and then when it came time for the marathon he'd crush em as guys were puking and shitting themselves on the side of the road.
Good fun.

Cool thing about the big Ironmans in Florida and Hawaii is that everone has a transponder and friends can follow them and get times online.

·
Stihl Kicking
415 Posts
i am kind of a triathlete. in the morning i run a 3 mile course, followed by a 6 mile bike ride. in the evening i run another 3 miles followed by a swim in the pool. i was strictly a treadmill runner up until few weeks ago when my treadmill blew up on me while i was on it. then i had to learn how to run on the road again. i don't have any plans to actually do a triathlon but i do have some 5 and 10ks scheduled. well as long as my 47 year old knees hold up.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I race road bikes. I went from 218 at 6'1" from March of last yr to 154 and about 4% body fat. I raced as a VERY successful jr and then stopped riding for 17yrs. I just got back into it and absolutely love it.

I have been racing about every weekend. I have racked up a lot of top 3s. I just moved up a catagory. I am racing in Bakersfield in two weeks to do the District Championships. I should win if I can drop everyone on the hill and stay away the remaining 20 miles.

Racing has basically consumed my life. I ride 18-22hours a week and 300+ mile weeks are not uncommon during training.

I am definitely no tri guy though. I hate running and my swimming is below par...LOL.

Here I am about a month ago at a giant race in Dana Point. I took 2nd.

·
"BOUGHT NOT BUILT"
8,077 Posts
I race road bikes. I went from 218 at 6'1" from March of last yr to 154 and about 4% body fat. I raced as a VERY successful jr and then stopped riding for 17yrs. I just got back into it and absolutely love it.

I have been racing about every weekend. I have racked up a lot of top 3s. I just moved up a catagory. I am racing in Bakersfield in two weeks to do the District Championships. I should win if I can drop everyone on the hill and stay away the remaining 20 miles.

Racing has basically consumed my life. I ride 18-22hours a week and 300+ mile weeks are not uncommon during training.

I am definitely no tri guy though. I hate running and my swimming is below par...LOL.

Here I am about a month ago at a giant race in Dana Point. I took 2nd.

watch out for shopping carts... heard they foc u up!!

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I too race road bikes. My claim to fame is winning the Redlands Downtown Crit as a cat4. Moved up to 3's, and now I'm just "packfill".

·
Registered
912 Posts
I too race road bikes. My claim to fame is winning the Redlands Downtown Crit as a cat4. Moved up to 3's, and now I'm just "packfill".
I was a 2 as Jr. I now started out as a 5 again. Although I am 36, I still like to race with the youngins. I will do a lot of masters next season. I just took all three jerseys at Ventura including the sprinters, KOM and the leaders the first stage. My finishing average crit speed was only second to the Pros last weekend although there race was quite longer. I lost everything the next day. I was off the front with another rider and we missed the turn. Lost 5 min behind the pack. Terrible day. LOL That's racing.

My season has been great. I have managed top 5s in pretty much every race.

Keep up the riding. You will be smashing everyone in no time. That tends to happen when you move up to a cat to a lot of riders. Redlands is no slouch!!!! You didn't win this yr I am assuming?? Jamie Lanza took it this yr as a 4. He just became a 3, he is fast as shit!!!

How much a week are you training? Is your training structured? Power, or coach?

Where do you race? We will have to hook up.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I was a 2 as Jr. I now started out as a 5 again. Although I am 36, I still like to race with the youngins. I will do a lot of masters next season. I just took all three jerseys at Ventura including the sprinters, KOM and the leaders the first stage. My finishing average crit speed was only second to the Pros last weekend although there race was quite longer. I lost everything the next day. I was off the front with another rider and we missed the turn. Lost 5 min behind the pack. Terrible day. LOL That's racing.

My season has been great. I have managed top 5s in pretty much every race.

Keep up the riding. You will be smashing everyone in no time. That tends to happen when you move up to a cat to a lot of riders. Redlands is no slouch!!!! You didn't win this yr I am assuming?? Jamie Lanza took it this yr as a 4. He just became a 3, he is fast as shit!!!

How much a week are you training? Is your training structured? Power, or coach?

Where do you race? We will have to hook up.
I think I won in 05 or 06. Trying to get going again after a knee injury from the dirt bike. I'm only riding about 10hrs a week. We do most of the local socal crits. I have a 17 yr old jr that blows me away anyways. He's our focus right now and is the road racer. Training is not really structured. We do the local rides, Montrose, Bud's, and Rosebowl, to keep it fun. Where do you ride?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think I won in 05 or 06. Trying to get going again after a knee injury from the dirt bike. I'm only riding about 10hrs a week. We do most of the local socal crits. I have a 17 yr old jr that blows me away anyways. He's our focus right now and is the road racer. Training is not really structured. We do the local rides, Montrose, Bud's, and Rosebowl, to keep it fun. Where do you ride?
Cool. You have to keep it fun. Sometimes, I just get worked over from riding so much. I do love it though and I am in the best shape I have been in for 15+ yrs.

My wife and I live in Henderson NV. Although we travel to SoCal, Central and Nor Cal almost every other weekend.

My knees are in rough shape, but that is why I ride bikes and don't run. Besides that, running sucks...LOL.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have raced TT and road races and usually do the bike leg in a few tri,s .I currently own a Cannondale road and TT Bike which are up there with the best brands .

Through circumstance i rode a" Leader " a very inexpensive frame for the quality ,i put up with the snide comments untill i won a few TT,s on it well worth a look ,Built in the USA ,just search them out .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does PB have any folks that compete ?? If so, how long ? what type of bike are you riding presently ??, and what length events ??

Thanks, Scott:)hand
Hey Scott,

I did a tri last year. I did the Malibu Classic and plan to do it again this year. I am 41 and hadn't done much in years but really enjoyed the training and doing the event. I used to ride a lot in college and I use the same old Cannondale, not pretty but it gets me there.

I don't plan to do anything much over the Olympic distance as I don't care to run much more than 6 miles and swimming much more than the Olympic distance is not in my plans.

I do stay involved in the sport as I keep up on what people with paralyzed arms are doing, I am an old ski racer with a bum arm. I created an arm sling for "us" one armed gimps to do sports, so I talk to lots of the people who are doing tri's with one arm. In fact, they just formed a USA Physically Challened Triathlon team and one of the girls on the team uses my sling.

I am sure a few people here would remember Tommy Knapp, he used to ski race with one arm and was great. He does tri's and is a board member for the Challenged Athletes Foundation (CAF), which helps people with disabilities get involved in sports, I mention this because he is really involved and I know he does a bunch of tri's with old ski racers. Also if you are so inclined to help a fantastic charity, check them out here: http://www.challengedathletes.org/ While you are there, give a few bucks to help someone get active.

Dan

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
Many years ago I used to compete in the Coors Biathlon Series (before they changed the name to Duathlons) and used to do okay in my age group. Rode a Bruce Gordon custom bike that I had built for me. My strong point was always the run though. Used to be a good runner until a bad back put an end to that. Ran a 10k almost every weekend, an occasional half marathon, and a couple of full marathons. Avoided triathlons as I wasn't a good enough swimmer to feel competitive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts