Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of sanding my boat and i don't truely know how to remove the rub rail. I was using brute force. I believe it's pop riveted, and when I pry on it the heads pop off. Any trick of trade I'm missing?

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Drill em out. Reinstall with ss Screws not pop rivets, and in new holes (silicone the old holes up). I have all types of popular RR if you need when time comes.

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts
I'm in the process of sanding my boat and i don't truely know how to remove the rub rail. I was using brute force. I believe it's pop riveted, and when I pry on it the heads pop off. Any trick of trade I'm missing?
Remove the rubber and then drill out. U may need to drill at an angle if the rivets spin.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Wow! I guess you could just rip the RR off the boat.... yes a drill is the tool of choice, and also another way to reinstall the RR is using rivets. typically I have never had new RR fall into the same holes....EVER! Also, if/where possible, you can attach a small washer to the back of the river and I assure you, it will never come loose, unless it gets manipulated.

TRG

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drill em out. Reinstall with ss Screws not pop rivets, and in new holes (silicone the old holes up). I have all types of popular RR if you need when time comes.
Thank you for the quick responce, I will keep you in mind when i do buy some.

Last mohican -"Salvage that rail if you can. It is about $100 a stick and another $100 to ship it."

Wow didnt know that, they are wadded up in a pile... Thanks anyways man. :shock:

TRG
Wow! I guess you could just rip the RR off the boat.... yes a drill is the tool of choice, and also another way to reinstall the RR is using rivets. typically I have never had new RR fall into the same holes....EVER! Also, if/where possible, you can attach a small washer to the back of the river and I assure you, it will never come loose, unless it gets manipulated

ya lol just brute force... drill worked out 10000x better think ill avoid rivets to save the next person the pain in the ass :thumb:​

1 - 8 of 8 Posts