Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Kragen the other day it was time to change the oil in my 99 Yukon. I have always used the grey Fram Tough Guard filter and Valvoline semi-synthetic Max Life for the last 60k or so. Kragen was out of the Fram so I tried the K&N. The K&N was twice as much, but appeared to be much sturdier and nicer built. So I fired up the truck took it for a spin and I gained 7-12psi across the board. From idle to hwy speed pressure was much improved and seemed to rise faster with rpm increase. In the morning or on a cold start I have been hearing what sounds to be a lifter or loose rocker sound and that is gone now.

I never had an issue with the $7 Fram but K&N for the win in all the vehicles and toys from now on.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
Went to Kragen the other day it was time to change the oil in my 99 Yukon. I have always used the grey Fram Tough Guard filter and Valvoline semi-synthetic Max Life for the last 60k or so. Kragen was out of the Fram so I tried the K&N. The K&N was twice as much, but appeared to be much sturdier and nicer built. So I fired up the truck took it for a spin and I gained 7-12psi across the board. From idle to hwy speed pressure was much improved and seemed to rise faster with rpm increase. In the morning or on a cold start I have been hearing what sounds to be a lifter or loose rocker sound and that is gone now.

I never had an issue with the $7 Fram but K&N for the win in all the vehicles and toys from now on.
Increased pressure doesn't always mean an increase in flow...it all depends where the sender is located (before or after the filter). If it's before the filter, a pressure DROP would indicate an increase in flow (decreased restriction). However, since your lifter noise seems to have disappeared, yours is probably located downstream of the filter, which would show a pressure increase for an increase in flow.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've never used a K&N filter, but i can tell you Fram filters are absolute JUNK compared to other filters out there. you could have probably put the cheapie Kragen brand filter on and seen an improvement. i cut open a standard Fram next to a standard Wix, and it was like night and day.
you might as well stick a roll of toilet paper in a can and bolt it on.

·
custom boat lover
461 Posts

I'm looking at a project truck. Its got 170,000 miles. Here's the issue.

When you start it up, it has a loud tick or tapping sound, I think its a valve train noise. usually after it starts the noise goes away but sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you drive it a couple miles and the noise goes away.
Oil pressure is good according tho the dash gauge.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.
My 98 1/2 ton GMC 5.7 made a valve train noise at start up after a few years of me owening it from new and I changed the oil every 3000mi using castrol 15-40 and a purolator oil filter most of the time or a ac delco filter, and the sound was only there when I ran the purolato and at that time I did not think about the too different filters I was using, So when I went by the dealer and showed him the noise he said what filter are you using and at that time it was the purolato, He said put in the a ac delco filter with a anti feed back valve and the noise will go away He said you do not have enough oil at the filter at start up and it takes some time to refill it and in the mean time you will have that sound. I went right to the shop and put in a ac filter "only"
and to this day I still have not heard that sound on my truck after lisening to it for around too years before the new ac oil filter fixed it for me

·
I'm No Expert
3,051 Posts
Increased pressure doesn't always mean an increase in flow...it all depends where the sender is located (before or after the filter). If it's before the filter, a pressure DROP would indicate an increase in flow (decreased restriction). However, since your lifter noise seems to have disappeared, yours is probably located downstream of the filter, which would show a pressure increase for an increase in flow.
ok... you wrote all of that basically trying to make him second guess himself... until the end. But then fail to tell him that the stocker fram filters are crap? Jeez...

Blue, It's well known all over these forums and the net (not that it's saying much) that those fram filters are crap. Stick with a good filter, so far it sounds like the K&N, Wix/Napa (i use) and Baldwin filters are good filters.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,625 Posts
ok... you wrote all of that basically trying to make him second guess himself... until the end. But then fail to tell him that the stocker fram filters are crap? Jeez...

Blue, It's well known all over these forums and the net (not that it's saying much) that those fram filters are crap. Stick with a good filter, so far it sounds like the K&N, Wix/Napa (i use) and Baldwin filters are good filters.
Funny.
Funny how, every time I mention that "A lot of people say Frams are junk", I get 2 people who say "Gee, first I heard of that", and NO-ONE who says "Yep, I had trouble with 'em".

Still, damned rare to find anyone who ACTUALLY can document a case of "failure due to Fram", think I saw one over the years.

Not one has happened in my family for as long as I've been breathing, to my parents, or to me.

I do use K&N's, now, as of the last 5 years only.

Good filter, and easy to use, especially with that 1" hex on the bottom. I don't even know for sure where my band wrench is at the moment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.