Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are they worth it? My boat has trouble planing when full of people and gear, so I thought adding the tabs might help. What is a good brand? Where to go in havasu to install?
I have a cat, I saw a cat in havi that mounted them above the tunnels. Is this better? I was thinking they should go as far over as possible. Obviously I don't know much about them and any insight would be appreciated.

Thanx

·
Floatin dirty
4,837 Posts
They recently installed a set of tunnel tabs on a Lavey deck boat and I heard that it made a very noticeable improvement in planing. It also allowed for the boat to remain on plane at a much slower speed for wake boarding and tubing. Boat took off flat with no bow rise at all. The mercs at $4200 installed. I would like to get them but thats a pretty high price to pay. It is also easier on your drive for planing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Tabs are a great addition to almost any boat. Hulls are optimized for certain speeds and water conditions. Tabs let you tweak the "hull shape" for conditions outside of that window. I bought a set and went to install them but my swim step, ladder, and exhaust made it near impossible. Still trying to figger out how to get a set on there.

They make great beer drinkin' seats, too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have a set of Dana marine tabs im trying to sell. we use one as a center tab and then removed it. it was on the boat for half of a summer. the other one is still in the box. its a complete set with everything but the indicator cables. if your intrested let me know. im asking $1500
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
i have a set of Dana marine tabs im trying to sell. we use one as a center tab and then removed it. it was on the boat for half of a summer. the other one is still in the box. its a complete set with everything but the indicator cables. if your intrested let me know. im asking $1500
Chris
Cris how u been.are those sp1600

·
"BOUGHT NOT BUILT"
7,952 Posts
are they worth it? My boat has trouble planing when full of people and gear, so I thought adding the tabs might help. What is a good brand? Where to go in havasu to install?
I have a cat, I saw a cat in havi that mounted them above the tunnels. Is this better? I was thinking they should go as far over as possible. Obviously I don't know much about them and any insight would be appreciated.

Thanx
cant go wrong with the dana tunnel tabs

·
It's what we do
709 Posts
Dana makes tabs designed for deck boats. The mount flange is very small to fit under the step on the outside sponsons.

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,854 Posts

Thanx
These aretunnel tabs. Different than trim tabs which you are talking about. They actually work opposite. Trim Tabs you adjust automatically and will help planing etc. You can also adjust one at a time for turning. Example trim the left one down when turning right and it will help the boat lean to the inside like a V-bottom. When down they will pin the nose when up they will let the bow carry, but they will scrub some speed even all the way up. These are the expensive ones.

The ones you saw are tunnel tabs. These are fixed on the tunnels and are adjusted via turnbuckle. They do help with planing and they actually extend the running surface of the boat. I had these on my last cat and were awesome. They will take away any porpoise and when adjusted down they help hold/pack the air and carry the bow on cats opposite of trim tabs. They do not allow the air to escape the tunnels. You can get these from Dana for $700-$800 and they are very easy to install.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I have the Dana trim tabs on my Magic deckboat & they are great when you have alot of people on the boat. They also help alot when the weight is not the same as in the port tank is empty and there's a fat guy on the starbord side. To me they are worth the money

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you decide to get the adjustable (hydraulic) types PLEASE be careful where you mount the buttons to adjust them. Put them in a place where noone could accidentally bump
them. Ulike a v bottom, the effect of these tabs can be hazardous to your boats health
if you bump one of them down by accident at about 60 mph, that boat could get dangerous and could hook violently and rollover. So make sure that the controls are put where noones knee or elbow might accidentally bump them. Ideally it would be great if
someone could find a way to install them and make them be disabled after so many mph?

Keith Sayre
Nordic Boats

PS--Tim or you could simply put a smaller prop on when you've got a weekend with lots of people on the boat, or you could lose some of that 800 lbs of stereo that you have in the boat!

G

·
If you decide to get the adjustable (hydraulic) types PLEASE be careful where you mount the buttons to adjust them. Put them in a place where noone could accidentally bump
them. Ulike a v bottom, the effect of these tabs can be hazardous to your boats health
if you bump one of them down by accident at about 60 mph, that boat could get dangerous and could hook violently and rollover. So make sure that the controls are put where noones knee or elbow might accidentally bump them. Ideally it would be great if
someone could find a way to install them and make them be disabled after so many mph?

Keith Sayre
Nordic Boats

PS--Tim or you could simply put a smaller prop on when you've got a weekend with lots of people on the boat, or you could lose some of that 800 lbs of stereo that you have in the boat!
Thanks Kieth, great advice.

·
Banne'd
2,426 Posts

Thanx

I recall seeing a good bit of info on tabs for CATs in the Cat tech section.

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you decide to get the adjustable (hydraulic) types PLEASE be careful where you mount the buttons to adjust them. Put them in a place where none could accidentally bump

Keith Sayre
Nordic Boats

Keith you know I love you, but this is just wrong:D:D

BTW thanx for the advice I will keep it in mind

Thanx for all the response, I seem to end up with tons of stuff in the boat and don't wanna mess with props. The boat is very hard to plane sometimes and I just wanna correct the problem. I don't have the problem previously stated with one tank being empty and the boat leaning real bad, but when both tanks are full everyone always sits on one side and it leans real bad.

H.M. are those tabs made for a deck boat? I have a built in swim step. The mold of the step goes all the way down to the bottom on both sides, is there room to mount these? In the pic what is the grey switch looking thing next to the pump?

Thanx

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
[/COLOR]

Keith you know I love you, but this is just wrong:D:D

BTW thanx for the advice I will keep it in mind

Thanx for all the response, I seem to end up with tons of stuff in the boat and don't wanna mess with props. The boat is very hard to plane sometimes and I just wanna correct the problem. I don't have the problem previously stated with one tank being empty and the boat leaning real bad, but when both tanks are full everyone always sits on one side and it leans real bad.

H.M. are those tabs made for a deck boat? I have a built in swim step. The mold of the step goes all the way down to the bottom on both sides, is there room to mount these? In the pic what is the grey switch looking thing next to the pump?

Thanx
The sp1600 from dana have a off set so they clear the step.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What you are needing are "Sponson tabs" the Dana SP1600 are made for your application, they are a great product. You may also want to consider a mechanical tab indicator to know the position of your tabs.

You will gain alot of adjustibility to your ride in all types of water, load conditions, but you may loose a little on top 1-2 mph. I know the Magics did, even in the full up possition.

The tab shown by H.M. will not work for you.The additional gray device shown is a electical trim sender.

PM- Me if you need any help with your installation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
tabs

the tabs are 12"wide 21"long and 9 1/4"high. yes that is an electric trim indicator that goes to a dash mount led lighted guage. these were not made for any particular boat. their just tabs with the notch in them for the drives.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.