Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone leave their truck in havasu year round, and use it maybe 2 times a month? Do you have any problems with the seals and rubber drying out? I would think it is the same as the boat but just thought I would get some input. It would be in a carport not a garage.

Thanx

G

·
does anyone leave their truck in havasu year round, and use it maybe 2 times a month? Do you have any problems with the seals and rubber drying out? I would think it is the same as the boat but just thought I would get some input. It would be in a carport not a garage.

Thanx
For the most part, my Lightning has been garaged at my house in BHC since 06. No problems.

·
Former HB visitor
837 Posts
My F-350 stays in Havasu in a garage. I don't think you have to worry about seals if its used every couple weeks. My truck has been out for a year now. No problems. I have friends that are snowbirds that leave thier truck from May to October at Havasu and the seals did dry up. I believe regular use is the key.

Just my unscientific opinion.

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My F-350 stays in Havasu in a garage. I don't think you have to worry about seals if its used every couple weeks. My truck has been out for a year now. No problems. I have friends that are snowbirds that leave thier truck from May to October at Havasu and the seals did dry up. I believe regular use is the key.

Just my unscientific opinion.

I am afraid of messing up the truck, I would use it at least once a month if not more. I would like to leave it and drive the wifes more economical car since I don't need the truck at home.

·
Stihl Kicking
415 Posts
Its not a truck but we keep a 4 wheel drive astro van at the havi house year round. We don't even keep it in the garage, never had a problem.

·
Former HB visitor
837 Posts
I am afraid of messing up the truck, I would use it at least once a month if not more. I would like to leave it and drive the wifes more economical car since I don't need the truck at home.
Get some good tire covers and a good cover for the truck. I did that for a while and it was not a problem. I worried about the truck but it was fine.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I have been keeping my truck there for years(9) I usually bring it home in the winter to do winter yard work and stuff. I have only had an axle seal leak but not sure the storage time really had anything to do with it.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
We kept our Ram 3500 there for a couple of yers now, no issues.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
The only problem that I have had is with the battery in my Jeep. Two years in a row it has had to be replaced after being gone for about 3-4 months. All the other batteries have been fine just the Optima in the Jeep...

Steve

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only problem that I have had is with the battery in my Jeep. Two years in a row it has had to be replaced after being gone for about 3-4 months. All the other batteries have been fine just the Optima in the Jeep...

Steve
ya I was gonna ad a battery tender too it.

It sounds like I should not have an issue, its a four year old truck and I don't want to ruin it. The only reason I keep it is to pull the boat in and out of the water. We never drive it when we are in CA. so I figure why not leave it in AZ. just don't wanna hurt it, I don't plan on ever replacing the truck.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
is the truck in question a diesel????? you should not leave diesels sitting for extended periods of time its not the seals you have to worry about in a diesel its the turbo system the fins can rust and there is no room for error in the turbo.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a Suburban out there, the problems I have have had were the rubber valve stems dry rotting, about 3 or 4of them. The window seals are brittle, But it starts up and goes!

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is the truck in question a diesel????? you should not leave diesels sitting for extended periods of time its not the seals you have to worry about in a diesel its the turbo system the fins can rust and there is no room for error in the turbo.
I can see that being a problem If I only went to the river twice a year but since we go at least every other weekend I don't think this is an issue.;) I also don't see moisture being a huge issue in the Mohave dessert:D

·
Lil' Hellyun
3,238 Posts
I have left my diesel Excursion out there year round for nearly 4 years with no problems....we do the same thing and drive it at least twice a month....good luck.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I can see that being a problem If I only went to the river twice a year but since we go at least every other weekend I don't think this is an issue.;) I also don't see moisture being a huge issue in the Mohave dessert:D

I take it you dont visit in the winter much. Its freakin cold!!!!:D

I would find a trusted neighbor to go over once a week and fire it up, If your not going up for a month.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
I take it you dont visit in the winter much. Its freakin cold!!!!:D

I would find a trusted neighbor to go over once a week and fire it up, If your not going up for a month.
I leave my Tahoe in the garage all winter long due to my snowbird being there. I just un hook the battery and put some gas treatment in the tank. Haven't had a problem yet. :)sphss

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.