Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing a truck in AZ, private party. I have a property in Havasu and plan on registering to that location; however I'm a CA resident and plan on bringing the truck to CA with AZ plates.

My questions are, could I be faced with some issues. Would I have to get insurance in AZ and just let them know the truck will be occasionally in CA at my residence. How would I determine if the truck has all of the CA emissions stuff on it (desiel) if I ever wanted to sell it down the road to a CA resident.

Thanks, any info would help.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and the current lien holder is Ford Corp, and I plan on paying cash. I would like to do all the registration the day I pick it up and drive it back, but I can't walk into Ford Corp to pay off the rest and get title. So how does this work. I feel a bit uncomfortable sending payment to bank without truck in my possession.

thanks

I'm looking at purchasing a truck in AZ, private party. I have a property in Havasu and plan on registering to that location; however I'm a CA resident and plan on bringing the truck to CA with AZ plates.

My questions are, could I be faced with some issues. Would I have to get insurance in AZ and just let them know the truck will be occasionally in CA at my residence. How would I determine if the truck has all of the CA emissions stuff on it (desiel) if I ever wanted to sell it down the road to a CA resident.

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
I am pretty sure that to register it in az, you will need to have an az id at a minimum. You will also be forced to get az insureance for it...

as for the emissions issues, I dunno...

·
skiing Parker since 1960
645 Posts
I just registered my 1992 dodge dually last friday here in Parker, was gonna cost $252 in Calif., cost me $41.................that's FORTY ONE DOLLARS, WITH a calif drivers liscence. While there I did have to insure it here in AZ, BUT, I also got an AZ ID card with my Parker house address, that was $10.............I'm now eligible to register my Cheetah deckboat as an AZ resident for $35 vs. $275 as a "non-resident"

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
As long as it has over 7500 miles it is considered used and bringing it into ca will be no problem as we don't have smog on diesels at the moment. registering it with a lien holder should be no problem as when it is payed off they will send you the pink, but do not pay the person you are getting it from the amount owed to the finance co make it payable to them and also make sure they know you bought it from the prior owner, and get a payoff amount good for XX number of days. if you keep the cali dl and you get caught driving it or some rat turns you in you get a nice little fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The wife had to get a AZ DL to register our boat as a AZ resident 5 years ago. Don't think they would accept just a ID back then.
We have her Tahoe and my truck registed in AZ now. I had to get a AZ DL to keep from getting busted driving in CA with AZ tags.

·
Huntington Beach Havasu
2,092 Posts
I have my Jeep registered in AZ and bring it back to California every so often but I was told if I get pulled over driving it with AZ plates and a California DL I would get a fine.

·
@ The Islander
4,182 Posts
I have my Jeep registered in AZ and bring it back to California every so often but I was told if I get pulled over driving it with AZ plates and a California DL I would get a fine.
Same here. My truck is registered in AZ and spends 8-9 months a year there. Am I supposed to reregister it here in Nevada for the 3-4 months a year it's back here?

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts

You can get AZ registration on your vehicle, no problem, if you are an out-of state resident. If a motor vehicle is kept in Arizona for over 7 months, it's pretty much required.

BUT! If you are a CA resident and drive a vehicle owned by you on CA roads for any length of time or for any reason it must be registered in CA. If you are caught driving YOUR vehicle in CA with out of state plates, you will be cited (maybe arrested), the vehicle impounded, and required to pay fines, fees, back taxes, penalties, interest, towing, storage, etc.

I am pretty sure that to register it in az, you will need to have an az id at a minimum. You will also be forced to get az insureance for it...

as for the emissions issues, I dunno...
See above. No AZ ID card is required. Nor is emission tests, unless the vehicle is kept in the Phoenix, Tucson or Prescott metro areas.

I just registered my 1992 dodge dually last friday here in Parker, was gonna cost $252 in Calif., cost me $41.................that's FORTY ONE DOLLARS, WITH a calif drivers liscence. While there I did have to insure it here in AZ, BUT, I also got an AZ ID card with my Parker house address, that was $10.............I'm now eligible to register my Cheetah deckboat as an AZ resident for $35 vs. $275 as a "non-resident"
Sorry, Denny. But in order to qualify as an AZ "Resident" for boat registration, you have to actually LIVE in AZ. That means voter registration, income tax, driver's license, etc. Owning property and an AZ ID card doesn't cut it anymore.

The wife had to get a AZ DL to register our boat as a AZ resident 5 years ago. Don't think they would accept just a ID back then.
We have her Tahoe and my truck registed in AZ now. I had to get a AZ DL to keep from getting busted driving in CA with AZ tags.
You can't have a driver's license in 2 different states. If you get an AZ license, you have to surrender your CA license, and vice-versa. To keep both is considered fraud.

You are a RESIDENT of where you actually live, are registered to vote, pay income taxes, work, hold a professional license, send kids to school, pay in-state fees for school tuition, etc.

Anyone trying to push themselves off as a "Resident" of any other state other than where they actually LIVE, is committing fraud. They may get away with it for a while, but it WILL catch up with them eventually, and cost them more (in the long run) than whatever savings they may realize from the fraud.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You can get AZ registration on your vehicle, no problem, if you are an out-of state resident. If a motor vehicle is kept in Arizona for over 7 months, it's pretty much required.

BUT! If you are a CA resident and drive a vehicle owned by you on CA roads for any length of time or for any reason it must be registered in CA. If you are caught driving YOUR vehicle in CA with out of state plates, you will be cited (maybe arrested), the vehicle impounded, and required to pay fines, fees, back taxes, penalties, interest, towing, storage, etc.

See above. No AZ ID card is required. Nor is emission tests, unless the vehicle is kept in the Phoenix, Tucson or Prescott metro areas.

Sorry, Denny. But in order to qualify as an AZ "Resident" for boat registration, you have to actually LIVE in AZ. That means voter registration, income tax, driver's license, etc. Owning property and an AZ ID card doesn't cut it anymore.

You can't have a driver's license in 2 different states. If you get an AZ license, you have to surrender your CA license, and vice-versa. To keep both is considered fraud.

You are a RESIDENT of where you actually live, are registered to vote, pay income taxes, work, hold a professional license, send kids to school, pay in-state fees for school tuition, etc.

Anyone trying to push themselves off as a "Resident" of any other state other than where they actually LIVE, is committing fraud. They may get away with it for a while, but it WILL catch up with them eventually, and cost them more (in the long run) than whatever savings they may realize from the fraud.

Alan I do spend over 50% of my time in Parker now, should be full time shortly after Christmas and yes I did have to surrender my CA DL when I received my AZ DL. I am not trying to fool anyone. Its just that my CA DL and truck registration was due for renewal so I went ahead and did it in AZ.
I am registered to vote in AZ. I'll worry about the income taxes when I have some income, I do pay propertry taxes in AZ. Hal :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so maybe it's better to just pay the high taxes in CA. I know as of now CA does not do smog on desiels; however I know they do have more emisions crap on them than most states. Would I have a problem registering an AZ truck without CA emisions crap on it in CA.

Thanks

·
Registered
526 Posts
Have 2 trucks Reg. in AZ. but live in Cal. IF you get pulled over in Cal. with an AZ. Reg. Veh. But a Cal. Drivers Lic. you will be fined the original regestration amount as a fix it ticket trust me I know. And you will be required to have AZ. Ins. Just get a AZ. Lic. while your there, then your covered, but if you get pulled over just dont tell them you've been working in Cal, That will also render the same fine as above..

·
Registered
944 Posts
I don't know about getting pulled in CA with an AZ truck, but I just registered my truck, boat and trailer in AZ with a CA DL. I also used a CA mailing address. I am a renter in Tucson and spend about 1/2 of my time there, in any given year it could be a bit more or a bit less. I also keep a car here and it too is registered the same way, with a CA mailing address. I just went to the MVD and told them I was splitting my time between the two places, but the vehicles, car, truck, boat & trailer would be in AZ most of the time.
We plan on using the boat next summer in CA a few times (Bear Lake, Tahoe, etc.) and if stopped I will have to take my chances. Although I think I am totally legal since the rig spends 99% of it's time in AZ. Can CA effectively ban me from their roads under threat of penalty? My CA vehicles are registered in CA and my AZ one's in AZ, that does not mean I can't cross the state line with them......

BTW they all are insured in the state they are registered in.

·
No Longer Recovering
916 Posts
Although I think I am totally legal since the rig spends 99% of it's time in AZ. Can CA effectively ban me from their roads under threat of penalty? My CA vehicles are registered in CA and my AZ one's in AZ, that does not mean I can't cross the state line with them......

BTW they all are insured in the state they are registered in.
There's been a few detailed threds on this topic... best to do a search for it. The short is you're not legal when you drive that AZ rig into CA

·
No Longer Recovering
916 Posts
Have 2 trucks Reg. in AZ. but live in Cal. IF you get pulled over in Cal. with an AZ. Reg. Veh. But a Cal. Drivers Lic. you will be fined the original regestration amount as a fix it ticket trust me I know. And you will be required to have AZ. Ins. Just get a AZ. Lic. while your there, then your covered, but if you get pulled over just dont tell them you've been working in Cal, That will also render the same fine as above..
IM JUST SAYING: what if one was to forfit a CA licence getting an AZ licence AND then go back to CA and say they lost the CA licence and get another... I KNOW ITS ILLEGAL... but do states keep tabs on this stuff?? Will CA know if you just got an AZ licence?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Same here. My truck is registered in AZ and spends 8-9 months a year there. Am I supposed to reregister it here in Nevada for the 3-4 months a year it's back here?
NOPE..you are fine...Metro has a lot of other things to deal with than stopping one of a few hundred thousand out of state license plates just to check on driver (remember you are in a transplant town, hundreds if not thousands move in and out every month)...if you drive like you are supposed to you will be fine...
Now NHP is another story...just drive like a responsible person and they will not even notice you...

·
@ The Islander
4,182 Posts
NOPE..you are fine...Metro has a lot of other things to deal with than stopping one of a few hundred thousand out of state license plates just to check on driver (remember you are in a transplant town, hundreds if not thousands move in and out every month)...if you drive like you are supposed to you will be fine...
Now NHP is another story...just drive like a responsible person and they will not even notice you...
OK, thanks for the info.

·
R U or U R?
1,829 Posts
IM JUST SAYING: what if one was to forfit a CA licence getting an AZ licence AND then go back to CA and say they lost the CA licence and get another... I KNOW ITS ILLEGAL... but do states keep tabs on this stuff?? Will CA know if you just got an AZ licence?
Evidently states do not keep tabs on this as I have an AZ license and CA just sent me a renewal for the one I gave up. I sent it in so I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, so I'm gona register it here in CA, I guess I need to get the truck weighed. Has anyone had to do that, and maybe fudge a bit with the weight. The lady on the phone from DMV said just take it to a truck scale and get it weighed, but they don't verify the truck being weighed. hmmmm.

·
"BOUGHT NOT BUILT"
8,077 Posts
here is the real deal...if you have a nevada drivers license.. and the truck has
az plates... you have to go to DMV and get a movement permit to drive on
nv roads.. the cop can and will confiscate the plates off your truck, and can also
have it impounded... if you have nev. plates, nev dr license, and the boat has
AZ plates on the trailer....same thing ... and while they're at it say

BLOW THIS TILL I TELL YOU TO STOP

1 - 20 of 27 Posts