Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody noticing out there? I've been monitoring a few things around the web and the news, and it garnering attention. Fuel sales are reported 50% down in some locations. If this goes good, and guys feel the strike keeps going, I hope you stocked up. ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I say good for them! I'm glad I don't own a diesil truck, and even worse I can't belive I'm happy paying $3+ per gallon for gas, but I can imagine filling those big rigs at $4.50+ for diesel. I think it was a setup from the start. When gas went up everybody jumpped to the diesel bandwagon, and the oil companys took notice... :(

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
I wish the truckers would shut this Country down for a few weeks.
Lets see what the FAT-CAT politicians have to say then. Not that it will personally bother them with their FAT salaries and pensions...not like they know what it feels like to give up a $100+ at the pump or be without health insurance!:|err

·
U Member, Member?
639 Posts
I say good for them! I'm glad I don't own a diesil truck, and even worse I can't belive I'm happy paying $3+ per gallon for gas, but I can imagine filling those big rigs at $4.50+ for diesel. I think it was a setup from the start. When gas went up everybody jumpped to the diesel bandwagon, and the oil companys took notice... :(
DIng Ding Ding....we have a winner Johnny, tell him what he's won ! :)grn:)hand

Fock yea!! strike on.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I've been saying the same thing. I can hear them in the meeting room right now,"buying diesels, ha we'll show them"

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
fuel cost for a semi are .60 a mile , I think the country is going to wipe out the independents and the deep pockets will survive ! End Result ... it's yet another control game and we the consumers will yet again pay out our ass . wellfare is the only way to get cash back , it's looking better and better :)bulb

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
fuel cost for a semi are .60 a mile , I think the country is going to wipe out the independents and the deep pockets will survive ! End Result ... it's yet another control game and we the consumers will yet again pay out our ass . wellfare is the only way to get cash back , it's looking better and better :)bulb
Can you say "Fuel Surcharge"

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
speaking of which cale- i have heard of some business itemizing the bill of a product to include fuel surge ( by unit ) not built into the price . so watch your sale items - you may think you are paying 1.75 for a 2x4, till you get your finial bill :D bastard

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,870 Posts
yes we do at 41% right now !!!! is that not off the hook ?
It is crazy. I remember when I started in the industry 7 years ago we would add 4.5% for the FSC. It has gotten out of hand. I am seeing a big increase in moving freight via the rail than over hte road.

Mike

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
I didnt notice anything different on the highways but sure hope it helps although think will cost us all more in the long run.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I really didn't notice much of a difference here in Fontana where my shop is and Fontana is the biggest trucking hub in the country. Since I'm in the industry, I support their cause but one day is not going to make much of a difference IMO.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
And this was the answers from the top 5 Oil CEO's to lawmakers today, more or so "Piss off wankers" we deserve every dime, even at the expense of the American economy, wonderful:mad: NSF

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. lawmakers on Tuesday took oil industry executives to task for booking huge profits on record gasoline prices while not investing more in renewable energy to help wean the country off foreign oil.
ADVERTISEMENT

Congress dragged in executives from five international oil companies to explain why they should not forfeit $18 billion in tax breaks after posting profits of $123 billion in 2007.
Executives from Exxon Mobil (XOM.N), Chevron Corp (CVX.N), ConocoPhillips (COP.N), BP Plc (BP.L) and Royal Dutch Shell (RDSa.L) testified before the panel in a spectacle not seen since Congress investigated energy price spikes in the wake of the 2005 hurricanes that blasted the vast oil infrastructure along the U.S. Gulf Coast.
"The American people deserve answers and it is time for Big Oil to go on the record about these record prices," said Rep. Ed Markey of Massachusetts, a long-time oil industry critic and chairman of the House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming.
U.S. average pump prices have risen steadily since the beginning of 2008 and this week hit a record $3.29 a gallon. Gasoline could eclipse $4 a gallon when the peak summer driving season starts, according to some forecasts.
Rising pump prices have put additional pressure on a U.S. economy already beleaguered by an imploding housing market and recession fears as oil company profits have surged.
Executives from the companies said factors beyond their control had driven prices up -- mainly crude oil prices that have leapt over five-fold since 2002 to a record $111.80 a barrel last month.
"Given that the largest contributor to the cost of gasoline is crude oil, this has translated into record-high gasoline prices," Peter Robertson, vice chairman of No. 2 U.S. oil company Chevron, said in testimony. Crude oil costs account for about 70 percent of the price of gasoline.
Democrats were eager to blame rising oil prices on the executives, though House Republican leader John Boehner mocked the hearing as a "politically motivated, made for TV" event.
"Your approval rating is lower than ours and that means you are down low," said Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, Missouri Democrat. "Whatever happened to shame?"
In questioning, Markey grilled Exxon senior vice president Stephen Simon on why the biggest U.S. oil company was not investing more in renewable energy sources after logging a 2007 profit of $40 billion, the biggest in U.S. corporate history.
"Putting more money into something does not necessarily equal progress," Simon said, pointing to a $100 million investment Exxon has made with Stanford University for clean energy research.
"That just doesn't work," Markey said, challenging companies to put 10 percent of their annual profits toward renewable energy sources. "OPEC has us over a barrel and you say you're going to study the issue for another 10 years."
Markey supports legislation that would strip about $18 billion in tax breaks from the five biggest U.S. oil companies and put funds toward planet-friendly energy alternatives like wind and solar.
Such legislation has passed the House of Representatives twice, but has stalled in the Senate amid resistance from energy companies and their Congressional allies.
"Imposing punitive taxes on American energy companies ... will discourage the sustained investments needed to continue safeguarding U.S. energy security," Simon said.
Markey said lawmakers will likely call oil executives up to Capitol Hill again in coming months if gasoline prices don't fall.

"They are going to be the winners of the most frequent visitors to Washington contest," he told reporters. (Editing by Russell Blinch and Jim Marshall)RECOMMEND THIS STORY

Recommend It:

Average (154 votes)

» Recommended Stories

Full Coverage: Oil and Gas

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Keep in mind the taxes we pay per gallon to the state and to the fed is almost a $1 a gallon.

We also pay a sales tax don't we?

Brian

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We can get Congress to look into steroid use in baseball, but can't do shit about fuel prices. Amazing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I haul day old chicks for egg ranches , went to Nevada Missouri last week with 85000 chicks . Lakeview CA , to the ranch and back was 3360 miles in a 377 pete 48 foot trailer at 6 miles to the gal , I used about 560 gals the fuel cost was 2167.20 . And go back empty , most drivers on cb's were saying if goes up to 4.00 per gal they are going to shut their trucks down this it might happen if they have the balls to do it this time it was talked about 2 years ago but nothing happen they could shut the U.S , I guess we all will see the cost of everything keep going up . everything goes by truck .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts