Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the previous admin kicked the can and despite shutting down the gov last week, the boneheads in congress can’t seem to agree to anything except extremes, so Trump offered up his plan.

path to citizenship for law abiding (from now on) Dreamers
expands program to cover almost 1.8 mil eligible
in exchange
provides funding for “the wall”
restricts chain migration to immediate family (no grandparents or cousins)
cancels “diversity” visa and refocuses what would have gone to that program to the current backlog of visa applications already waiting.

What are people’s thoughts? To echo Jim’s comments earlier...kinda nice to at least have a leader leading with a proposal instead of the grandstanding at the capital.

What do you think?

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I believe the wall is a huge expense with little to offer. I could also see allowing Grandparents, parents, siblings and their kids, perhaps. I'm not a big fan of chain migration though.

·
83 Crusader - 468 BBC
2,525 Posts
So the previous admin kicked the can and despite shutting down the gov last week, the boneheads in congress can’t seem to agree to anything except extremes, so Trump offered up his plan.

path to citizenship for law abiding (from now on) Dreamers
expands program to cover almost 1.8 mil eligible
in exchange
provides funding for “the wall”
restricts chain migration to immediate family (no grandparents or cousins)
cancels “diversity” visa and refocuses what would have gone to that program to the current backlog of visa applications already waiting.

What are people’s thoughts? To echo Jim’s comments earlier...kinda nice to at least have a leader leading with a proposal instead of the grandstanding at the capital.

What do you think?

:))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp Giant Steps to MAGA! Provided the "path" is a "legal path" to citizenship and NOT AUTO AMNESTY. Limited "rights and benefits"" until full citizenship is earned and received.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Provided the "path" is a "legal path" to citizenship and NOT AUTO AMNESTY.

From what I read...5-10 years and limited...just like it takes everyone that did it legal to get settled, a job, learn English, pass the tests, etc...and stay out of trouble..(in other words, become productive, self sufficient law abiding people).

jim- letting grandma/grandpa, parents of adult applicants and adult kids IS chain migration. No one is saying they can’t come, but need to on their own merits, not simply because they are related to “so and so”.... kind of like it is in most every other country..,. Do you think we should do more?

·
83 Crusader - 468 BBC
2,525 Posts
From what I read...5-10 years and limited...just like it takes everyone that did it legal to get settled, a job, learn English, pass the tests, etc...and stay out of trouble..(in other words, become productive, self sufficient law abiding people).
Thx...
Good to know. :thumb:
MAGA!

·
Registered
5,853 Posts

jim- letting grandma/grandpa, parents of adult applicants and adult kids IS chain migration. No one is saying they can’t come, but need to on their own merits, not simply because they are related to “so and so”.... kind of like it is in most every other country..,. Do you think we should do more?

As usual, your understanding of chain migration appears flawed and based on the nonsense of extreme right-wingers trying to spew their hate, and you bought right in.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
The vast majority of these people already meet those criteria, and yet Trump is still going after them for deportation. Do you watch the real news and see the ones being interviewed. They speak better english than probably most on this forum and from their diction, they no doubt write better.
Time after time the Dreamers concern is being able to complete their college degree or even getting their Doctors license, and you talk about being productive and self sufficient.
What about the guy recently deported who had a chain of popular restaurants for years and married to an American woman, has kids born here and lived here 30 years. He's to old to be a dreamer. He's being sent back to someplace he doesn't remember, as he was 9 years old when brought here.

I'd bet most on here can't pass the test.

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
As with any wise businessman, he's seeking a win-win rather than an obama "We have the majority. We win. You lose", like obamacare clearly was.

Many things can be achieved by this.
In order to become a citizen, you will HAVE to profess your desire to become American.
You will have to learn about our history to pass the citizen test.
You will have to agree to pledge allegiance to our nation's flag. (not wave your own and burn ours)
You will have to meet stringent requirements and . . .

. . . if you don't, you are gone!

·
83 Crusader - 468 BBC
2,525 Posts
As with any wise businessman, he's seeking a win-win rather than an obama "We have the majority. We win. You lose", like obamacare clearly was.

Many things can be achieved by this.
In order to become a citizen, you will HAVE to profess your desire to become American.
You will have to learn about our history to pass the citizen test.
You will have to agree to pledge allegiance to our nation's flag. (not wave your own and burn ours)
You will have to meet stringent requirements and . . .

. . . if you don't, you are gone!
There it is.... :))THumbsUp:))THumbsUp
MAGA!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As usual, your understanding of chain migration appears flawed and based on the nonsense of extreme right-wingers trying to spew their hate, and you bought right in.
Please elaborate. You're ignorant assumptions about my personal experiences and how I have learned is intriguing..

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
I too think the wall is just a big waste of money.....My personal thought is that we need to modify the "birth-right" law to make it so that if you are here ILLEGALLY, your child does not automatically get US citizenship.....I have always thought that was just plain stupid! That would be cheaper (And as effective) as building a giant wall.

To me, building a wall is just too similar to what the Eastern Block did in Germany....(And yes, I understand that we are trying to keep people out while they were trying to keep people in.....)

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
That is the only talking point he has, they have. What liberals really want is to increase their voting base. Period!!! Nothing to do with being fair, etc. A lot of these laws were bipartisan, but just not enforced. Enforce the laws and the liberals are triggered.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I've thought about this from a slightly different perspective. While campaigning, Trump was much more hard core on illegal immigrants living here in the U.S., and in part, is one of the issues that helped him get elected. Since elected, President Trump has been able to cut a bunch of excessive spending, gaining revenue for projects without needing to ask the Dems to vote for it. I think, ( very smartly on Trump's part ), Trump now is willing to give amnesty to the 1.8 million, you know, "the art of the deal", to get the Dems to O.K. funding the wall. But here's the rub, the Dems are hurting, voter wise, if those 1.8 get amnesty, they may come away thinking " hey, Trump's not such a bad guy", and the Dems may lose a percentage of these DACA people to Trump...ON TOP OF not getting any more voters voting democrat coming in over the boarder, because of a stronger border and wall.
I don't think the Dems give two shits about the "dreamers", they just want and need more votes. It may seem like president Trump is backpedaling on this issue, but I think it's a calculated give and take for him. The Dems however, had better chose whose side they're on, America's or the Immigrant's, and make a deal. Anyway, that's what I think is going on.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
I've thought about this from a slightly different perspective. While campaigning, Trump was much more hard core on illegal immigrants living here in the U.S., and in part, is one of the issues that helped him get elected. Since elected, President Trump has been able to cut a bunch of excessive spending, gaining revenue for projects without needing to ask the Dems to vote for it. I think, ( very smartly on Trump's part ), Trump now is willing to give amnesty to the 1.8 million, you know, "the art of the deal", to get the Dems to O.K. funding the wall. But here's the rub, the Dems are hurting, voter wise, if those 1.8 get amnesty, they may come away thinking " hey, Trump's not such a bad guy", and the Dems may lose a percentage of these DACA people to Trump...ON TOP OF not getting any more voters voting democrat coming in over the boarder, because of a stronger border and wall. I don't think the Dems give two shits about the "dreamers", they just want and need more votes. It may seem like president Trump is backpedaling on this issue, but I think it's a calculated give and take for him. The Dems however, had better chose whose side they're on, America's or the Immigrant's, and make a deal. Anyway, that's what I think is going on.
nailed it.

74D32075-3920-4F86-8528-65692BFA044C.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts