Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some people are doing the pressure regulator stuff now...BUT...

using the shut off valve method, how do you 'tune' your water pressure?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
you CAN'T eventually the block will fill and pressurize, and if you're just using a gated valve, all your doin is slowing volume, not pressure;) best thing you can do is give the motor bigger water outlets than what's goin into the motor.

example:

you're feeding the motor with a 3/4 hose, then y-ing to 5/8ths' to the motor
well you should have 2 5/8th hoses coming out as well.that way the block can never really build much pressure, yet it'll see a volume of water. maybe a prob getting temp up that way though.,

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
I know some people are doing the pressure regulator stuff now...BUT...

using the shut off valve method, how do you 'tune' your water pressure?
Use a pressure regulator :D

Why is it always such a big deal to run a pressure bypass!?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you CAN'T eventually the block will fill and pressurize, and if you're just using a gated valve, all your doin is slowing volume, not pressure;) best thing you can do is give the motor bigger water outlets than what's goin into the motor.

example:

you're feeding the motor with a 3/4 hose, then y-ing to 5/8ths' to the motor
well you should have 2 5/8th hoses coming out as well.that way the block can never really build much pressure, yet it'll see a volume of water. maybe a prob getting temp up that way though.,
When I closed the valve some, I went from seeing 40lbs of pressure at about 4k to about 25lbs of pressure. I was not seeing much pressure at all at idle however, though water was still flowing out.

I am going to increase the size of my water lines from the intake out at the end of this season though.

Engine ran about 160degrees all day.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Use a pressure regulator :D

Why is it always such a big deal to run a pressure bypass!?

I agree.. I was able to rough set it on the hose and then when on the water running at WOT i was able to fine tune it.. Stays at 18 PSI WFO... easy peasy...

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
IMO gate valves at the jet are handy as a "failsafe" to shut the water off in the event of a line failure ,We dont "limit the water" to the motor we bleed off excess pressure and volume :)coffee Tom

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
The problem many boats will have (not all) by restricting the inlet volume is overheating at idle. This is why the bypass is generally a better solution. Restricting the inlet size while maintaining the same outlet size will result in reduced pressure too. Both running and at idle (the at idle part many times becoming the problem with steam pockets etc).

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
I am a strong believer in having a shutoff valve at the pump for emergencies. However, that valve should not restrict water to the engine under normal operation. Pressure relief is the way to go IMO. An oil pump doesn't have a valve restricting oil to the engine to limit oil pressure...it uses a bypass as well. Why would you do it any other way?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts