Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropping in my 468 bbc in my Tahiti 18ft soon,?kb prememium forged small domes, comp 274xm, gear drive, large oval port "291" heads. Around 10.1 comp is what the shop is going for. 500+hp with the head work and work done, on 91pump gas.Looking for 65-70 mph, turning around 5-5500rpm. I found a set of rebuilt 600cfm vac sec holleys and a set of calibrated rebuilt600cfm edelbrocks on ebay same price about 500$. I'm at a loss on how to go about setting up a good tunnel ram setup...any help is appreciated...pics...experience...anything is helping me out. Thanks. Carbs are my weak point.

Know of any nice clean good carb setups for a good price...let me know.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Carb

..carb selections I found and info. Allstate carbs remans

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
Back in the day , I use to run a tunnel ram on a mild BBC and it ran great with the Holley 600s . You can fine tune the Holleys .Good luck .

·
Registered
385 Posts
if you go with th eddys let me know what rods and jets they are saying are "calibrated". im in a mild 460 with similar build specs as your description. im running the eddys (as thats what was lying around) and they work well here. i had to do a jet and rod adjustment as they didnt work well off the shelf i believe im at 101 pri and 98 sec. cant remember the rod number though

Attachments

·
Blown, OHBA Member
2,811 Posts
Dropping in my 468 bbc in my Tahiti 18ft soon,?kb prememium forged small domes, comp 274xm, gear drive, large oval port "291" heads. Around 10.1 comp is what the shop is going for. 500+hp with the head work and work done, on 91pump gas.Looking for 65-70 mph, turning around 5-5500rpm. I found a set of rebuilt 600cfm vac sec holleys and a set of calibrated rebuilt600cfm edelbrocks on ebay same price about 500$. I'm at a loss on how to go about setting up a good tunnel ram setup...any help is appreciated...pics...experience...anything is helping me out. Thanks. Carbs are my weak point.

Know of any nice clean good carb setups for a good price...let me know.
I have never been a fan of "Eddies" or vac secondaries I think I would go with a couple of 650 DPs as the Tunnel rams, in my opinion aren't known for vacuum. I would also recommend loosing the gear drive, and find a good billet double row timing set. I have yet to see any good come from a gear drive set up. If you want it to whine, Blower whine is the way to go. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have an apache 18 i have a great tunnel ram setup that has been so dependable im redoing it for my new motor , now let me start of by saying most on here will say , awwww screw edelbrock u need holleys , not so , the apache did 88 to 92 all day long and i have time slips to back that up , i went with 2 1407 edelbrocks, pulled all the choke assembly off right out of the box, they come with 107 primarys and 113 secondary jets, i took the 107s out and put the 113s as the primarys, and bought 120s for the secondarys then took the stock stepup spring out , (they are color coded) i thing stock is orange , , and replaced it with the silver one which opens the secondaries sooner, its been a tried and true combo for 5 years ,its an animal off the line , (no stumbles or hesitation) just my 2 cents they are inexpensive and easy to work with ,, hope this helps .GET MECHANICAL SECONDARIES VACUUM WONT WORJ WITH TUNNEL RAM hence the 1407 part number

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys...I'm appreciating the input. Guy uptop asking for calibrations....^ this guy might of answered your question. He said what he did his calibrations at...I feel on the street eddies are great I have always ran them. I just haven't had a tunnel ram so It's a new adventure for me. Anything special need to be done on hooking them up..or just block all the plugs off ..? Any vacuum just have to be hooked up..?

·
Registered
436 Posts
i have an apache 18 i have a great tunnel ram setup that has been so dependable im redoing it for my new motor , now let me start of by saying most on here will say , awwww screw edelbrock u need holleys , not so , the apache did 88 to 92 all day long and i have time slips to back that up , i went with 2 1407 edelbrocks, pulled all the choke assembly off right out of the box, they come with 107 primarys and 113 secondary jets, i took the 107s out and put the 113s as the primarys, and bought 120s for the secondarys then took the stock stepup spring out , (they are color coded) i thing stock is orange , , and replaced it with the silver one which opens the secondaries sooner, its been a tried and true combo for 5 years ,its an animal off the line , (no stumbles or hesitation) just my 2 cents they are inexpensive and easy to work with ,, hope this helps .GET MECHANICAL SECONDARIES VACUUM WONT WORJ WITH TUNNEL RAM hence the 1407 part number
Damn! that thing is aired out!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks guys...I'm appreciating the input. Guy uptop asking for calibrations....^ this guy might of answered your question. He said what he did his calibrations at...I feel on the street eddies are great I have always ran them. I just haven't had a tunnel ram so It's a new adventure for me. Anything special need to be done on hooking them up..or just block all the plugs off ..? Any vacuum just have to be hooked up..?
i did read that. the 1407 is a 750cfm though. the 1405 is a 600cfm. i would assume its a bit different in jetting with almost 300cfm combined of more air

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i maile the reman company and aske the calibration on the 600cfm setup, ill pass the info along to ya

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
I'm not sure about what others have experienced, but while researching I found that gear drives are not good for sustained high RPM engines. Either a double roller or belt drive is better.
I like Edelbrocks, but on street applications. I like my Holley 600CFM Double Pumpers on my wife's boat.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have never been a fan of "Eddies" or vac secondaries I think I would go with a couple of 650 DPs as the Tunnel rams, in my opinion aren't known for vacuum. I would also recommend loosing the gear drive, and find a good billet double row timing set. I have yet to see any good come from a gear drive set up. If you want it to whine, Blower whine is the way to go. :D
x 2 ! my 2 650 dp's work great on my t/r . in my opinion vac sec are for trucks

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
.GET MECHANICAL SECONDARIES VACUUM WONT WORJ WITH TUNNEL RAM hence the 1407 part number
Edelbrocks are mechanical secondary? Who knew?
Any idea how many vacuum secondary carbs are out there working just fine on a T ram. Just because you lack the ability to set them up properly does not mean they won't work. They work just fine.
It MUCH easier to tune a vacuum secondary Holley to get the secondaries wide open than it is a Edelbrock AFB. Regardless of the part number.
Even the Edelbrock AVS carbs are easier to set up the secondaries than the Eprformer AFB clone.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
854 Posts
Any idea how many vacuum secondary carbs are out there working just fine on a T ram. Just because you lack the ability to set them up properly does not mean they won't work. They work just fine.
It MUCH easier to tune a vacuum secondary Holley to get the secondaries wide open than it is a Edelbrock AFB. Regardless of the part number.
Even the Edelbrock AVS carbs are easier to set up the secondaries than the Eprformer AFB clone.
:bangmyhead: Try one of each and let us know which one does better ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
vacuum gauge doesnt lie , plenty of know it alls on here boy, call you local carb shop , then again , your definition of working fine , and mine are obviously very far apart , , therein lies the problem , 50% of your vacuum is out the window with a tunnel ram , elementry

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The famous Holley-edelbrock fight! Lol, what I'm asking here now guys is how you have the setup working on the ram..are your holleys inline? Or sideways? What vacuums if any are hooked up, edelbrocks sit inline yes, but what vacuums "must" you hook up if any...pics of the setups would be great if you can get em. Thanks again guys, feel free to argue your points on the thread, it's still information to me!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As for the "gear drive" I don't see the problem, I have a buddy with a brodix 632 turning 7000+rpm naturally aspirated pushing 1038hp (dyno'd) he's running gear drive as well...? If mine don't hold up at 5500rpm well then there's something wrong. I've always ran gear driven big blocks. Once again that's opinion, another friend of mine don't like gear drive. I just happen to love em.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
vacuum gauge doesnt lie , plenty of know it alls on here boy, call you local carb shop , then again , your definition of working fine , and mine are obviously very far apart , , therein lies the problem , 50% of your vacuum is out the window with a tunnel ram , elementry
edelbrock 1407s are vac secondary. just sayin...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts