1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I broke down and got a Tunnel Ram, 325.00 couldn't pass it up. now I was thinking of two Holly 450's to put on top. anybody have pics of their set-up, Ideas on how to... do I need to keep the heat shield under the tunnel like it is under the stock manifold?

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
what are the potential gains of running a tunnel ram on a fairly stock engine, besides looking really cool.
.., how do they work?
if something that's going to spin 4,800. None. It will just look good.

I had a 418" smblk Ford built for my dad a couple years back I had John at C&J set-up the 450's for me..

S CP

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
And if you have a Tunnel Ram I have herd there are some guys that hang out at Lost Lake that won't race you :happy:

Sorry guys had to say it hil:)

:bananadance::bananadance::bananadance:

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
I am not a racer, don't care about leaving some HP on the table, don't care about spending days on a dyno, don't care about that last 300 RPM or so, and only run tunnel rams because that's what hot boats are supposed to have!!!

Mine actually do use them however.
My opinion is do it, there are some fine boats out there with 2 450s on them.

·
Distinguished Member
5,772 Posts
if something that's going to spin 4,800. None. It will just look good.

I had a 418" smblk Ford built for my dad a couple years back I had John at C&J set-up the 450's for me..

S CP
Yup... What Jon said!!

And if you have a Tunnel Ram I have herd there are some guys that hang out at Lost Lake that won't race you :happy:

OK TN, that was pretty good.....

It's been years since I did a TR on a stocker, but agree it's not gonna add much if anything. Put a TR on a stock 455 olds in a T-Bucket years ago for a buddy. Man what a pile of crap that deal was. :grin: The article may be applicable to stock applications as well but not on a real performance engine. Once you start getting up in HP a bit, a TR is nearly always good for 30-70 HP over a single 4-barrel in a 850+ HP motor. It's been tested on dyno's and tracks a ka-jillion times. Not sure what it would do on a motor in the 500-800 HP range, but bet it would help there too....

·
Registered
114 Posts

Ouch, that's going to leave a mark, Tennessee Boy! I've got a tunnel ram and I'm at Lost Lake and I know better to line up with most of these bad boys
:)st

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
well I broke down and got a Tunnel Ram, 325.00 couldn't pass it up. now I was thinking of two Holly 450's to put on top. anybody have pics of their set-up, Ideas on how to... do I need to keep the heat shield under the tunnel like it is under the stock manifold?
Heat shield? 455 olds

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Yup..

. It's been tested on dyno's and tracks a ka-jillion times. Not sure what it would do on a motor in the 500-800 HP range, but bet it would help there too....

Hot Rod magazine did an intake manifold test some years back on a 500+ hp smblk chevy. I think they tested 12 different intakes .... a couple of TR's they tested out performed the other intakes from mid-range to top end. They did very well on an engine that was well built but in no means a super hi-performance engine.

I'll see if I can find a link to the article.

S CP

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
what are the potential gains of running a tunnel ram on a fairly stock engine, besides looking really cool.
.., how do they work?
I have one that actually improves the performance of a stock engine. Google "Real Street Ram". Costs some money, but works like crazy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts