Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dual 450 holleys on my tunnelram. list #9776. mechanical secondary single inlets. right now they're currently setup inline.
I am planning to redo the linkage and turn them sideways.
Is there a benefit to changing out the bowls to the V style bowls?
Should i get the choke horn milled off?
is the enderle linkage the way to go?
If i convert the bowls over should i feed both bowls or still run the single inlets?
Im purchasing the clay smith pump and would like recommendations on a regulator. how many ports etc.
Current setup

·
just a ski boat with bark
2,811 Posts
Ok first off why do you want to turn them sideways? You have a nice looking set up there and I guess I don't see any gains in going sideways unless you just want to. I'm not against it just asking, my 750dps are turned sideways.

Enderle makes a nice linkage for the sideways carbs and it works well for me.

Milling the choke horns only gains about 20cfm per carb and you have 900cfm right now, with th eexhaust logs I wouldn't bother if it were mine.

being you only have 450s I don't see dual feeds being needed but they won't hurt. I can't answer your float bowl question I've only run the "cathedral" bowls sideways.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
simple answer is to make working on the carbs alot easier like jet changes.
to change the jest now involves pulling the whole assembly apart. out of pure laziness and not wanting to disassemble everything i ran rich the whole season.
Ok first off why do you want to turn them sideways? You have a nice looking set up there and I guess I don't see any gains in going sideways unless you just want to. I'm not against it just asking, my 750dps are turned sideways.

Enderle makes a nice linkage for the sideways carbs and it works well for me.

Milling the choke horns only gains about 20cfm per carb and you have 900cfm right now, with th eexhaust logs I wouldn't bother if it were mine.

being you only have 450s I don't see dual feeds being needed but they won't hurt. I can't answer your float bowl question I've only run the "cathedral" bowls sideways.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I have dual 450 holleys on my tunnelram. list #9776. mechanical secondary single inlets. right now they're currently setup inline.
I am planning to redo the linkage and turn them sideways.
Is there a benefit to changing out the bowls to the V style bowls?
Should i get the choke horn milled off?
is the enderle linkage the way to go?
If i convert the bowls over should i feed both bowls or still run the single inlets?
Im purchasing the clay smith pump and would like recommendations on a regulator. how many ports etc.
Current setup
To answer your questions,
You already know the benefits
Don't bother with the choke horns
Any of the sideways linkage kits seem to be the same
If you convert to center inlet bowls you'll hve to feed both bowls
The easiest way to feed all four bowls is with a four port regulator. Any of them will do for what you're doing...pick the one that looks the coolest or is easiest to mount.
:)hand

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
so your going to do all that 4 bowls,linkage , feeds,etc.,basicly try to make these be 4150's ,to make it easier to change jets???:)sphss

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so your going to do all that 4 bowls,linkage , feeds,etc.,basicly try to make these be 4150's ,to make it easier to change jets???:)sphss
When it's 100+ out would you rather spend over an hour disassembling your whole fuel system to jet your carbs or 15 minutes?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
When it's 100+ out would you rather spend over an hour disassembling your whole fuel system to jet your carbs or 15 minutes?
Why are you jetting this thing so much. When you get done with the boat, you re-jet you your car or truck.
I re-jet my deal once a year when we go to Burley Id. and change it back when we return.
Just looking for that very last HP?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Team CJ460
2,191 Posts
i feel your pain but my fix was just a hotter plug after i got mine dialed in. ican agree for having them sidewyas but im cheap and would rathe run my 660's inline and use the money for other parts.keep us posted

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Why are you jetting this thing so much. When you get done with the boat, you re-jet you your car or truck.
I re-jet my deal once a year when we go to Burley Id. and change it back when we return.
Just looking for that very last HP?
Still trying to tune it. I'll be the first to admit I'm still learning to tune

·
Registered
176 Posts
im gonna chime in here because this is something i have done to my last boat. i started out by putting the same set up (2 450 holleys) on my flat that where inline. when i did a cam change i upgraded the carbs to 660 center squirters that were all done up with duel feed bowls secondary metering blocks etc.... and mounted them side ways. plan on some added expense if your gonna turn them sideways for linage, changing the fuel system, etc... not to mention the upgrades you are talking about doing to a set of perfectly good carbs. the way i see it, by the time you replace the fuel bowls, add rear metering blocks (450's have metering plates in them from the factory), mill the choke horns, etc....personally, I would look for another set of carbs before i would invest the time and money into upgrading the 450's. you'll come out ahead in the long run and have a nicer set of carbs. imo, the 450's not a performance carb and upgrades to them are going to net you minimum gains. for the money to do the upgrades you have mentioned, i just don't see it being much more to find a nice used set of double pumpers and rebuild them.
i really liked my 450's, they where just a little to small for my 454 after i did the cam change and threw the dart heads on it.
if your turning the carbs sideways only to make it easier to do jet changes it's understandable but also a lot of money for only one thing. if i was turning the carbs sideways again ( especiallyafter i have already done this once) i would be sure to get the most "bang for the buck" with the work and cost involved. hope this helps. Mark

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Still trying to tune it. I'll be the first to admit I'm still learning to tune
Not the funnest carb to tune. No power valve, runs rich down low, leans out on top. No secondary shooter, but has mechanical secondaries. The mechanical secondaries may not seem like such a big deal with a carb that small, but when there are 2 they don't know they aren't a 900.

A set of 570 street avenger vac secondary would work much better. and they cost what, 300 new. How much is the float bowls complete not counting the linkage, or regulator.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Not the funnest carb to tune. No power valve, runs rich down low, leans out on top. No secondary shooter, but has mechanical secondaries. The mechanical secondaries may not seem like such a big deal with a carb that small, but when there are 2 they don't know they aren't a 900.

A set of 570 street avenger vac secondary would work much better. and they cost what, 300 new. How much is the float bowls complete not counting the linkage, or regulator.
My 450's have power valves. And they have been difficult to tune

·
New here
4,219 Posts
'Zacktly what I was thinking. If you're gonna UPGRADE ANYTHING, why not make it worth-while upgrade? Better idle circuits. Heck, better EVERYTHING circuits. Crisp and well tuned right out of the box. Yay though they might not quite be tuned for a tunnel ram on a small block, but they couldn't be THAT far off for his setup.

The vac secs would just take care of themselves with NO tuning, per se. Might change springs to make them play together happier, but those have EXTERNAL covers to change springs quickly.

PLUS, this would allow for future mods - if you decide to pump the motor up some more and get rid of the logs.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll check into it. Appreciate the input. I do plan on doing some motor work very soon.
'Zacktly what I was thinking. If you're gonna UPGRADE ANYTHING, why not make it worth-while upgrade? Better idle circuits. Heck, better EVERYTHING circuits. Crisp and well tuned right out of the box. Yay though they might not quite be tuned for a tunnel ram on a small block, but they couldn't be THAT far off for his setup.

The vac secs would just take care of themselves with NO tuning, per se. Might change springs to make them play together happier, but those have EXTERNAL covers to change springs quickly.

PLUS, this would allow for future mods - if you decide to pump the motor up some more and get rid of the logs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts