Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a wood deck flatty for skiing on my lake,four cyl max restriction law.Im thinking a 4 cyl Yanmar tubo diesel with direct drive.Most bare hulls seem to be under or around 1000 lbs this motor only has 125 bhp hp but its got over 200 ft lbs of torque.500 lb motor w/drive.Hull needs to go 36 mph with a adult slalom skier( deep water double boot starts) What do you guys think the odds of this working are.I ski behind a Sanger Barefoot(1100) bare hull with a 115 outboard and it goes over 50 when propped and rips you out of the water but I want a wood deck flatty!!!!!!
Thanks in advance.

· Registered
934 Posts
I want a wood deck flatty for skiing on my lake,four cyl max restriction law.Im thinking a 4 cyl Yanmar tubo diesel with direct drive.Most bare hulls seem to be under or around 1000 lbs this motor only has 125 bhp hp but its got over 200 ft lbs of torque.500 lb motor w/drive.Hull needs to go 36 mph with a adult slalom skier( deep water double boot starts) What do you guys think the odds of this working are.I ski behind a Sanger Barefoot(1100) bare hull with a 115 outboard and it goes over 50 when propped and rips you out of the water but I want a wood deck flatty!!!!!!
Thanks in advance.

If the Yanmar is like other diesels, you can add turbos and fuel and get lots more power in exchange for shorter life. These engines are designed for 20000 hours of low power life.

· Registered
652 Posts
If you go with a lighter hull...and lighter motor...you'll get better performance.

Wood deck, isn't an all wood boat, you could find a 16' rayson, put a 2.3 turboed Ford in it and go like stink. Lighter, cheaper, quieter.

Direct drive will use more space than a V drive. Direct drives seem to push through the water, V drives over.

Just some ideas...

· Just Me
4,104 Posts
Use the VW 1.9 liter turbo-diesel they put in the rabbits. They make around 140 HP and 250 lb/ft tq when warmed up a little and can turn enough RPM to give you some top end. The canadians had a mechanically controled injector pump for thier's which would eliminate the need for electronic injection control.

· Registered
1,486 Posts
If you go with a lighter hull...and lighter motor...you'll get better performance.

Wood deck, isn't an all wood boat, you could find a 16' rayson, put a 2.3 turboed Ford in it and go like stink. Lighter, cheaper, quieter.

Direct drive will use more space than a V drive. Direct drives seem to push through the water, V drives over.

Just some ideas...

There ya go. 300hp out of the Ford turbo is pretty easy. And if that isn't enough, check out what guys are doing to the GM Echotech motor. 500-600HP is very doable.

Darrell.

· Already miss the 310/562
13,480 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.