Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turbos had been sitting for a long time since they were rebuilt. They are the turbos that were on the banks system with the holes drilled through them. One of the turbos is smoking and last time out was actually dripping oil out the exhaust.

How do I know if the turbo is hurt of if it is just something with the return line?

·
1,814 Posts
My turbos had been sitting for a long time since they were rebuilt. They are the turbos that were on the banks system with the holes drilled through them. One of the turbos is smoking and last time out was actually dripping oil out the exhaust.

How do I know if the turbo is hurt of if it is just something with the return line?
were they brand spanking newly rebuilt or have you ran them at least once? if the rpm or cid is too big you could have hurt them immediately. pull in & out on the shaft, not up & down, it shouldnt move, maybey a micro ioda but thats it.
i had this happen many times. most likely the journal bearing .the thrust washer that rides against it machined some aluminum off the journal bearing & now lets the piston style ring out near the edge of the sealing bore & passes oil right past the ring. turbo power can fix it, he is in cameron park area of ca 530-677-2233 cliff. parts are hard to come by. he can the bearings out of bronze,brass? cant remember but tougher than the aluminum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts