Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are a few pics of the hot side I built, going to do the cold side in the boat when the air to water IC shows up soon. Still need to build the turbo supports off the back of the heads. Thanks for looking.

Travis

Attachments

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
That's looking real good.
It should be easy to make a simple heat shield to cover the header tubes.
That's A lot like the configuration that Mike W did.

It's good to see that guys are getting away from mounting the turbos over the valve covers. That always looked like bad engineering to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
That's looking real good.
It should be easy to make a simple heat shield to cover the header tubes.
That's A lot like the configuration that Mike W did.

It's good to see that guys are getting away from mounting the turbos over the valve covers. That always looked like bad engineering to me.
With the right headers you can lash the valves with out removing anything with the turbos above the valve covers Why do you say its bad engineering.
Most guys doing the turbo stuff do it this way, seems more the home built stuff mounts them way back. Just curious on your thoughts.
In my opinion looks cleaner above valve cover.

Those look like big turbos what are they? Should make good power. Card or efi?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mark! I am on threturboforums as snyper and I liked the way Mike did his set up so i kind of followed it. The turbos are Borg Warner S400's T6 1.10 ar on the turbine, guys are making 1600+ with a pair of these on a BBC. I went a little over kill with my set up for this hull but plan to upgrade to a better one next year.

The headers are 2 inch primaries with 3 1/2 collectors to the turbos, I went with a 900cfm C&S Dual needle and seat carb.

Thanks for the input guys!

Travis

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Valve covers

Then there is those guys who mount their turbos TO the valve covers . . . . . what's up with that!:)hammers:)sphss

Seriously, looks good TT540!:)devil

LSR

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
With the right headers you can lash the valves with out removing anything with the turbos above the valve covers Why do you say its bad engineering.
Most guys doing the turbo stuff do it this way, seems more the home built stuff mounts them way back. Just curious on your thoughts.
In my opinion looks cleaner above valve cover.
Would you say that the access to the valve train is better with the turbos mounted over the valve covers or behind them ?

I built my own because I hadn't found anything that looked like it made sense to me. When you are building your own, accessibility to all engine components is a factor in how you do it. You are not limited by the way someone else did it.
:)bulb ;)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am going with 8.75 to 1 on this set up, that with an air to water IC and the big turbos I should be seeing some big hp numbers on pump gas! :)

I also chose to build my own headers for a couple reasons, one because just what Mark pointed out. I could build them just how I wanted to in order to get to the plugs how i wanted and the valve train. The other is it saved me a ton of money wich is nice for those of us with not so deep pockets! :)

Mark,

If you get a minute I really need a cam speced for this set up if ya dont mind? Im having trouble picking the right cam as this is my first real boat engine, solid roller.

540 dart block
single plain intake
900 cfm C&S carb
2 inch primaries with 3 1/2 collectors
oval port cast iron heads, 2.19/1.88 on the valves
6500 rpm

Thanks if ya can help!

Travis

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hay Travis it all looking really sweet, Summer is comming. I think that you are going to spank the old CP. It's all going to be alot of fun anyways how much longer do you think it will take to get her all back together???

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brayden, whats up man! Not sure when it will all come togeather......probly mid june? Its been so cold here I am just not to motivated to crank on it. Also just tore the whole deck off the house and am building a new one around the pool, getting the pool open and putting all new grass in the back yard. LOL, to much shit going on like always! :|err

Travis

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
If you get a minute I really need a cam speced for this set up if ya dont mind? Im having trouble picking the right cam as this is my first real boat engine, solid roller.
Picking cams is not really my specialty but I would go with a 114 to 116 lobe center cam and keep the duration down to keep the overlap down.
I started out with a big cam and have progressively downsized.
Big cams put huge stresses on the valve train. After the engine ate lifters a few times I'm done with that.
Now I'm at a .630 lift and duration at .050 is around 250 degrees. It's a 116 lobe center. The turbos will make so much power that it's going to scream even if you had a stock cam in it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Would you say that the access to the valve train is better with the turbos mounted over the valve covers or behind them ?

I built my own because I hadn't found anything that looked like it made sense to me. When you are building your own, accessibility to all engine components is a factor in how you do it. You are not limited by the way someone else did it.
:)bulb ;)
Access to the valve train is extremely important but it can be done with headers that mount the turbo above the valve cover thats all i'm saying. You said it was bad engineering I just wanted to know why. I agree that gentrys are a nightmare to access the valve train but cmis are a very nice piece just a little pricey
I give you big prop for building your own stuff, I personally like the look of the turbos above the valve cover.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Picking cams is not really my specialty but I would go with a 114 to 116 lobe center cam and keep the duration down to keep the overlap down.
I started out with a big cam and have progressively downsized.
Big cams put huge stresses on the valve train. After the engine ate lifters a few times I'm done with that.
Now I'm at a .630 lift and duration at .050 is around 250 degrees. It's a 116 lobe center. The turbos will make so much power that it's going to scream even if you had a stock cam in it.
Very true. In my first TT setup I ran a big cam, because this is what the cam company suggested. I could never get it to work right. When I bought my "new to me" set up from Alexi at Boostpower we used ALOT smaller cam. It was explained to me that he could make more power using the smaller cam. He said they dyno tested this and they were surprised that when they would put a smaller cam in they would make more power.
Also, nice work TT540!

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Two Turbos Whats The Second One For Cold Air In The Beer Cooler Or Is It A Top Dropper

Haha whats up Mike!! I figured two would sound better as I scream by the loud high compression boats......;);)

Travis

·
Registered
189 Posts
Travis, Mike W here. looking good,lots of time getting those headers fabbed up,huh?I went with Don Bailey's recommondation for cam spec's.It was in the 730 lift range(he likes the lower cylinder pressure).Like Mark said,i may not of needed that big of a cam,but so far so good. I'm using the Crower Severe duty lifters,they looked good after 1 season but i still replaced them.Springs checked out good so well see how they hold up after another season.Post up some pics of the intercooler as you progress with it.

May want to consider moving the passenger side turbo over so it's behind the valve cover.Your gonna have good air flow @ high speed to 1 turbo but the other one is gonna be behind the intake,may not make a difference but if you have to start troubleshooting that's one less thing to worry about.Also it's gonna be getting hotter and more tubulent air,if you move it over you'll get a straight shot of cooler air.And it will be easier to work back their.May not be a problem at all,just me thinking out loud.Your gonna be more than happy when you here those turbos whistling.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts