Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a turbo be better off with its own oil system? Are their turbos that do not require an external oil supply? Do turbos have to be mounted horizontally, can they be tilted slightly or angled? Thanks,DEL.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Hi Chris,
It's best to tap into the engines oil system for the line to the turbo bearings.
The amount of oil that the turbo takes is very small. The feed lines are usually only -4 and there is an orifice in the fitting to restrict it down from that. Both pressure lines to my turbos come tee'd off the 1/8 npt port at the back of the block. The center axis of the shaft wants to be horizontal and the oil pressure line and drain want to be close to vertical. The drain is all gravity flow back to the pan so that is the main consideration.

Too much oil pressure or not sufficient drain back will make oil spill into the turbine housing and make a smoke cloud.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was wondering about this as the boat attitudes are bad enough but when you see some of the pullers reach 45 deg plus it made me curious.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts