Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like a clean simple turbo instalation. The draw thru set up looks best to me but I realize that more power can be had if the fuel does not go through the turbo.

How could I use the older style draw thru system with the intercooler on top of the intake manifold with an EFI system?

Are there any drawbacks to running 2 throttle bodies rather than carbs? what about wastegates and blow off valves.

Can someone explain how this would work?

·
No Sandbar To Far
3,276 Posts

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Get the "Maximum Boost" book and read up on this.
What you're asking for is somewhat contradictory.

Turbos systems and EFI are seldom going to be simple looking.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Get the "Maximum Boost" book and read up on this.
What you're asking for is somewhat contradictory.

Turbos systems and EFI are seldom going to be simple looking.
that fast easy efi system with the 4 injector throttle body sure looks clean and we'll handle boost now wont it? we touched on that in another thread, thought someone mentioned they could handle 10lbs of boost now???? maybe it was yb:)sphss

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
who is the author of Maximum boost?

My question is how do I run a throttle body on an old draw thru system so I can make the intercooler placement look clean by placing it on top of the engine.

I see blow off valves on most turbo efi systems...how do I run throttle bodies in place of carbs on a draw thru system?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts

My question is how do I run a throttle body on an old draw thru system so I can make the intercooler placement look clean by placing it on top of the engine.

I see blow off valves on most turbo efi systems...how do I run throttle bodies in place of carbs on a draw thru system?
you dont:p if you're efi'n a old draw thru set-up, then you put the throttle bodies between the ic and turbos;) the bov will go between the throttle body and turbos.

corky bell is the author, and its a great read!!

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Corky Bell is the author.
All your questions will be answered in the book.

Even if you did go EFI putting the throttle body on the compressor intake would be a mistake.
There are only a handful of turbos that have a vaccuum seal on the compressor and they are usually smaller turbo's.

These are the cleanest way to do it,

If you need an intercooler put it on the floor behind the engine.

The low profile looks nicer IMO, this one looks nice too,

Who left those wads of black chewing gum on the intake manifold ?

I'm just in the process of changing my pile to the low pro look too,
How about this side draft 2 barrel setup ?

It only stands 5" above the manifold.
With E98 fuel I don't even need an intercooler anymore. :)devil

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
you dont:p if you're efi'n a old draw thru set-up, then you put the throttle bodies between the ic and turbos;) the bov will go between the throttle body and turbos.
Wow. I can't believe you posted that. So it can't be done. No way to put the air control before the turbos? Your kidding right? No only can you, but if you do, you no longer need the BOV. Not saying its better, saying it can be, and IS being done very successfully. The only reason I would perfer not put the air controller on the inlet of the turbo is if it is also introducing the fuel. But just controlling the air intake, piece of cake and it works just fine. You have to get your mind off the blow thru thing Impatient. There are more than one way to skin a cat when using EFI.

dnewps, there is no reason why you can't just remove the carb and replace it with a throttle body. It will work fine. It only a air controller. Same as the carb was. Only the throttle body doesn't have to meter fuel.
Go with the biggest throttle body you can get your mits on though. Because the air passing thru it will be a atmosheric pressure, not under compression like down stream. But no matter, it will still flow more air than the single carb deal did.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Administrator
16,876 Posts
I was hoping to put the throttle on the turbo inlet. Couldnt get any technical backup on it. And reason tells me it would probably lend to lag. How much?

Since the top fuel guys went away from hat throttles to a scoop and the throttles directly on the blower for quicker response. I will have to assume so.

Not that I am not going to try it some day. But have to use at least some proven methods to start with.

·
Administrator
16,876 Posts
What BOV is everyone using?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I was hoping to put the throttle on the turbo inlet. Couldnt get any technical backup on it. And reason tells me it would probably lend to lag. How much?

Since the top fuel guys went away from hat throttles to a scoop and the throttles directly on the blower for quicker response. I will have to assume so.

Not that I am not going to try it some day. But have to use at least some proven methods to start with.
I try not to look at what the TF guys are doing because their throttle response requirments are off my chart. My boat can't hit 100mph in a 100 ft. But as far as turbo lag itself, I don't see it unless the valve body is a long ways from the turbo. We have a saying in our industry, "If it can get out, it can't get in."
There may be a slight throttle response issue between throttle open, then closed, then open right away. But it will be slight.

In the early years of turbos at Indy, all of them were blown thru MFI deals and no BOVs. And they suffered from turbo stall anytime the throttle was closed. Smokey fixed that with the SBC program by moving the throttle to the inlet, and the impeller spins in a vacuum when the throttle is closed. Think about this. When the throttle is slammed on a down stream deal, unless the BOV has some controller on it that is driven by a throttle position sensor, the turbo will see at least the pressure the BOV is set for. But if not, that pressure will do all it can to stall the turbo. But if not, that pressure will do all it can to stall the turbo. With a upsteam arrangement, the turbo goes straight to a vacuum when the throttle is closed, and the impellor sees zero load. There is no air to load or stop the impellor.

Seriously doubt if you were to drive a boat with each arrangement that you could detect the difference between the two. Carb arrangments are a different deal. They have to have BOVs because draw thru carb deals suck(sic).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
. With a upsteam arrangement, the turbo goes straight to a vacuum when the throttle is closed, .
That's the problem.
Very few turbo compressors have a vaccuum seal on the compressor. Only one's that were made specifically for a draw through carb and their all small turbo's.

If you put a high vaccuum on one without a seal it will suck the oil out of the bearing housing.

The setup I used at the sand drags back in the 80's was a draw through carb.
When you slammed the throttle shut at high boost there was a big vaccuum spike and it had it's own unique sound when it slowed the turbo down REAL FAST.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
What BOV is everyone using?
I'm using a Tial Q blowoff. It supposedly flows more than any other valve on the market. Morris and alot of the street guys like the Big Red Procharger valve. But have you $$$ ready if you want one of those. They are a simple design. Just use a good brand as the E-Bay ones are not working. Paradise Racing gave me the best deal I could find on the Q. And Tial is top of the line stuff.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Wow. I can't believe you posted that. So it can't be done. No way to put the air control before the turbos? Your kidding right? No only can you, but if you do, you no longer need the BOV. Not saying its better, saying it can be, and IS being done very successfully. The only reason I would perfer not put the air controller on the inlet of the turbo is if it is also introducing the fuel. But just controlling the air intake, piece of cake and it works just fine. You have to get your mind off the blow thru thing Impatient. There are more than one way to skin a cat when using EFI.

dnewps, there is no reason why you can't just remove the carb and replace it with a throttle body. It will work fine. It only a air controller. Same as the carb was. Only the throttle body doesn't have to meter fuel.
Go with the biggest throttle body you can get your mits on though. Because the air passing thru it will be a atmosheric pressure, not under compression like down stream. But no matter, it will still flow more air than the single carb deal did.
That's the problem.
Very few turbo compressors have a vaccuum seal on the compressor. Only one's that were made specifically for a draw through carb and their all small turbo's.

If you put a high vaccuum on one without a seal it will suck the oil out of the bearing housing.

The setup I used at the sand drags back in the 80's was a draw through carb.
When you slammed the throttle shut at high boost there was a big vaccuum spike and it had it's own unique sound when it slowed the turbo down REAL FAST.
;) read what mark wrote bob, i knew that when i made that statement:)bulb gta lil mo experience in this area than you:p

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I'm using a Tial Q blowoff. It supposedly flows more than any other valve on the market. Morris and alot of the street guys like the Big Red Procharger valve. But have you $$$ ready if you want one of those. They are a simple design. Just use a good brand as the E-Bay ones are not working. Paradise Racing gave me the best deal I could find on the Q. And Tial is top of the line stuff.
the ebay 1's we got kept blowing the oring off the plunger, but wynton copied the q valve and has a 110 copy of it now:D no oring on the plunger, has a teflon type seat instead.

·
just a ski boat with bark
2,811 Posts
I'm just in the process of changing my pile to the low pro look too,
How about this side draft 2 barrel setup ?

It only stands 5" above the manifold.
Nice, no offense but I'm liking the looks of that a whole lot more than the intercooler you were running before. Hope it works out for you performance wise as if you need more power. lol :)devil:)devil

What kind of boost do you think E85 can run without an intercooler?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I believe he said E98. Which is as close to 100% as they can legally sell as fuel.

Before someone starts screaming BS beaware that you would be hard pressed to make 100% ethanol in a lab. Between the poison additive and water absortion, there is no 100% ethonal fuel. E98 just uses the gasoline as a poison.

That's the problem.

This is true.I only mentioned it because the OP already have a draw thru system, and I believe the question was if he could just replace the carb with a throttle body

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
Nice, no offense but I'm liking the looks of that a whole lot more than the intercooler you were running before. Hope it works out for you performance wise as if you need more power. lol :)devil:)devil

I like a inter cooler. I run fleets of diesel trucks and turbos do exploded from time to time, it will catch the shit before entering the engine :)bulb

1 - 20 of 61 Posts