Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turbo

I like the way the exhaust exits the side. I was thinking I would like to go out the side of the boat. Anyone make a new turbo that would work in a marine application under a hatch. Also, the pice that attches to the manifold, why is it int he shape of a v like that? Other s I have sen are flat and low profile?

·
Some guy
3,614 Posts
Banks made several different kits, calling them 550HP, 650HP, 725HP and 850HP, all used the same exhaust manifolds but different size bypass holes in the turbos, and different intercoolers. The twin radiator cooler in the photo is the better one, used on the higher horsepower kits. I don't recall any specific stated reason why the cooler had the "v" shape, but I assume there was some reason when they designed it.

I worked for Banks in the late 70's when these kits were state of the art.

·
Spot On Dee El...
688 Posts
Banks made several different kits, calling them 550HP, 650HP, 725HP and 850HP, all used the same exhaust manifolds but different size bypass holes in the turbos, and different intercoolers. The twin radiator cooler in the photo is the better one, used on the higher horsepower kits. I don't recall any specific stated reason why the cooler had the "v" shape, but I assume there was some reason when they designed it.

I worked for Banks in the late 70's when these kits were state of the art.
I have this setup, we've PM'd in the past, and I am making about 7.5 lbs of boost. Which setup would you guess I have, 550 or 650? If I want to put more boost at some point what is entailed?

·
Registered Parker Allstar
635 Posts
I've also had this setup. Everything is so crammed together, it looks like a complete cluster fock! You can run with a single carb, or dual carb which mine had.

And the new setup with the race aero system. Alot cleaner and way more efficient.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turbos

I have p1000 type exhaust manifolds and I think I can run turbos off of them. If I do twin turbos, into 1 carb, into the cooler, I think it can be done very clean and make some decent power. That motor in Shiftys jet that he sold looked pretty clean to me. I want to exit out the side for a few reasons.

·
Registered
762 Posts
If anyone wants or needs some Banks info, I have some old schematics for them. Just PM me a fax # and I'll send it over.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I've also had this setup. Everything is so crammed together, it looks like a complete cluster fock! You can run with a single carb, or dual carb which mine had.

And the new setup with the race aero system. Alot cleaner and way more efficient.

This one is 532 inches 15lbs of boost on 100 octane 1000 plus HP under a hatch, and is kinda stuffed into a small area also.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turbo Stuff

That lloks good. Not sure I need 1000hp, but 750 would be good. I would like to run pump gas and be able to air it out a bit. Sushi, hot saki and beer - gotta love it - good night

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Ive been running this setup for about 11yrs, it has evolved some , with new turbos, waste gates, greddy controller, better heads, cam , ect. But really works well. can turn up to 25psi , and also run 325 shot of nos.
If any of you guys decide to part with any of this stuff please let me know, I'd like to get my hands on one of those dual carb setups, as well as a spare set of the risers and a spare intercooler, thanks , Hass

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ive been running this setup for about 11yrs, it has evolved some , with new turbos, waste gates, greddy controller, better heads, cam , ect. But really works well. can turn up to 25psi , and also run 325 shot of nos.
If any of you guys decide to part with any of this stuff please let me know, I'd like to get my hands on one of those dual carb setups, as well as a spare set of the risers and a spare intercooler, thanks , Hass
Not knocking any of these set-ups at all but with modern technolgy the blow thru style carb has made many improvements over the years and is much simpler to install. For more info check out www.theturboforums.com They have a specific blow thru section. Steve Morris has been doing some of these with blower and turbo and has quite a few engines making 1700+

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hardin P-1000

Anyone have pics of the exhaust manifolds runnning turbos? I know of one Vector w/ an o/d like this but can't get pics right now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Pfm

I have p1000 type exhaust manifolds and I think I can run turbos off of them. If I do twin turbos, into 1 carb, into the cooler, I think it can be done very clean and make some decent power. That motor in Shiftys jet that he sold looked pretty clean to me. I want to exit out the side for a few reasons.
PFM use to have a system that used the p1000 style exhaust manifolds. Turbos mounted directly to the back of the exhaust manifolds and the carbs. were places between the turbos at the rear of the engine. Very clean set up. I may have some pics??

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seems like there used to be a lot more options, now nobody makes the new stuff anymore? That PFM system looks nice, one big carb, less stuff. Who made the actual turbo? PFM?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts