Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum. So first off, hello everyone.

Now business... I have a Formula powerboat in which I am thinking about putting a turbo system on. Anybody out there that makes a complete kit?

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
rs7337

Welcome to the boards!:)devil

My suggestion to you would be to research and read everything you can before spending the money. Find out exactly what you want before laying out a bunch of coin on something then finding something better. I started where you are, I looked for a complete system but found nothing I liked so I made my own. Started with two t-3's on a SBC/mechanical fuel injection and now run two t-3's and two t-4's. It runs so good I now need to spend the bucks on a good bottom end and heads . . . . I killed the stockie I started with this year but hey, it was fun while it lasted:D Now it's time to step it up:)devil

Scott

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
That looks like a one off kit with a precision air to water IC. Looks like a pair GT47-88's as well. That kit complete with headers, turbos, waste gates, bov, clamps and flanges, tubing, Fuel Injection system with a tune is an easy 10K with out all the engine mods......

How much do you want to spend? What are your Hp goals? Let me know your hp goals, cubic inch, how many rpm you want to turn it and I will do my best to help you along!!

Take care,

Travis

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Welcome to the boards!:)devil

My suggestion to you would be to research and read everything you can before spending the money. Find out exactly what you want before laying out a bunch of coin on something then finding something better. I started where you are, I looked for a complete system but found nothing I liked so I made my own. Started with two t-3's on a SBC/mechanical fuel injection and now run two t-3's and two t-4's. It runs so good I now need to spend the bucks on a good bottom end and heads . . . . I killed the stockie I started with this year but hey, it was fun while it lasted:D Now it's time to step it up:)devil

Scott
is this the shivershot boat? that thing is wicked:)devil i've been wantin to build a twin turbo 406 or 434 ever since i 1st seen it. got the longblock 406 in the works, gotta sell a boat before i go full tilt on it.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Scott
It would be a huge performance increase to remove the two small turbos and only run the two larger ones. The small ones are only serving to bypass exhaust gas pressure that is needed to feed the main ones.
A local guy with a 373 sbc and one turbo / efi made 1050 hp on the dyno at 28# boost. He had it in a pro street truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This boat was done by turbo technology in wa. I am usinug the pics for reference.

I am looking for around 800hp on low boost, and 1000hp turned up a little. Looking at a pair of 61mm with 76 trim hot side. turbos.
Will be on a 25' Formula with a 502.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
This boat was done by turbo technology in wa. I am usinug the pics for reference.

I am looking for around 800hp on low boost, and 1000hp turned up a little. Looking at a pair of 61mm with 76 trim hot side. turbos.
Will be on a 25' Formula with a 502.
I am runing a pair of Borg Warner S400's and would reccomend them for your application as well. They have a 75mm wheel and a T6 turbine. I would not use a T4 base turbine on a 502, to much Back pressure. The advantage to using Biger turbos is big hp on a pump gas tune due to less heat. tHE bw S400 turbos go for around $600 each and will make 1,000 on pump gas with a nice air to water IC and 12-14lbs of boost.

In a closed engine compartment you will also need water jacketed exhaust wich is big $$$$$. Here comes whitley has a pair on his deck boat and I think they are around $4,500 from CMI.

I love talking turbos first thing in the morning. :)devil

Travis

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Unchained

It would be a huge performance increase to remove the two small turbos and only run the two larger ones. The small ones are only serving to bypass exhaust gas pressure that is needed to feed the main ones.
A local guy with a 373 sbc and one turbo / efi made 1050 hp on the dyno at 28# boost. He had it in a pro street truck.
That is my plan, actually I set the system up to blank off the exhaust in any combo I want (two big/two small/one big one small/none) and see how it runs, but the old SBC never lasted that long. I will say, when it ran good, it hauled ass, especially with four. A big help has been video taping each run, the camara not looking forward but looking back at the boat from the bow . . . I have a dial-a-jet and some other stuff I can adjust and you can really see the differences on the playbacks. A new plant is in the works as I write this. I also set it up mocked up for our LSR car (intercooler, etc.) and will be making the changes to set it up for the boat and incorporate many things I have learned the last 2 years and pull stuff off I don't need. I did the twin's year before last, the quads last year and got it dialed, this year but have struggled with the engine (I thunk it finally realized what I was doing to it:)violent:D) . . . . this being my first flat, actually my first hot rod boat, the last couple years have been a learning experience filled with good and bad advice, lots of good times and many many new friends:)devil So I'll keep playing with Shiver Shot, the LSR car I have since sold, it had historical value as an old Bonneville Car from the 1970's and I could not get myself to cut it up. I sold it to a current record holder and it is now being restored in Salt Lake City. I will still eventually do a LSR deal, but it will be multi-engine or turbine powered lakester or streamliner. I just need to win the lotto . . . . . . :)sphss

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
not trying to thread jack, but what turbo's should i be looking at if i wanted to build a 1000hp 406 with say 25-30lbs of boost? i wanna do a single blow thru set-up, and i'm gonna build my own water to air i.c. set-up, it should do a good job bringing the intake temp down. be even nicer to just run big enough turbos and not have to i.c. , but i don't want any turbo lag.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
not trying to thread jack, but what turbo's should i be looking at if i wanted to build a 1000hp 406 with say 25-30lbs of boost? i wanna do a single blow thru set-up, and i'm gonna build my own water to air i.c. set-up, it should do a good job bringing the intake temp down. be even nicer to just run big enough turbos and not have to i.c. , but i don't want any turbo lag.
I get turbo / Hi tech performance mag and its amazing the size of turbos their putting on the small import car motors now. I saw a feature on a 6 cyl Supra engine ( 3 liter ) with two turbos about the size of the ones I have on my 540. They made 1500 hp with it. The turbos are so big that it takes ball bearings to help them spool up.
The turbos that came on the old Banks and Gentry setups are puny by comparison and are way too small on a big block IMO.

On a SBC I would go with something with a 94 mm or 102 mm compressor wheel at least. The two TV77 Garretts I run have 94 mm wheels.

How about a single Garrett GT47 or a Master Power GT45 ?
You can buy three Master Power turbos for the price of one Garrett but Garretts have the most years of proven performance.

I have'nt had any concerns with lag at all with EFI. I was told by a guru that lag is a function of the fuel system more than the turbo. Draw through carb setups are the worst for lag.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I get turbo / Hi tech performance mag and its amazing the size of turbos their putting on the small import car motors now. I saw a feature on a 6 cyl Supra engine ( 3 liter ) with two turbos about the size of the ones I have on my 540. They made 1500 hp with it. The turbos are so big that it takes ball bearings to help them spool up.
The turbos that came on the old Banks and Gentry setups are puny by comparison and are way too small on a big block IMO.

On a SBC I would go with something with a 94 mm or 102 mm compressor wheel at least. The two TV77 Garretts I run have 94 mm wheels.

How about a single Garrett GT47 or a Master Power GT45 ?
You can buy three Master Power turbos for the price of one Garrett but Garretts have the most years of proven performance.

I have'nt had any concerns with lag at all with EFI. I was told by a guru that lag is a function of the fuel system more than the turbo. Draw through carb setups are the worst for lag.
thanx mark, i'm really lost with all the mm talk etc. when it comes to turbos, only turbos i've ever worked on are factory units on vehicles.i've got 2 of the garretts that came off the 95 6.5 liter gm's that are in good shape. 1 of those would make 20psi on the 6.5liters, so i wonder if 2 of them on a sbc would do 30lbs? guess i need to go to the barn and dig em out, see if there's any model #'s on em. me and hass have been kicking the idea around for awhile and i sure wanna do it. shove it into a 300lb earl smith hull:)grn:)devil

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
On a 406 for a single set up I would run an S480 with the race cover, good for about 1400hp and sell for about 1,100 new. Go to Keven at CSU or Roger at C&s for a carb and buy an EV hat for the carb from Gordon at Superior Aitrflow.

Go to www.theturboforums.com for more info, and all those guys post their all the time as well as many, many vendors selling turbos and components.

Pm me if you need any help with the build.

Take care,

Travis

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
On a 406 for a single set up I would run an S480 with the race cover, good for about 1400hp and sell for about 1,100 new. Go to Keven at CSU or Roger at C&s for a carb and buy an EV hat for the carb from Gordon at Superior Aitrflow.

Go to www.theturboforums.com for more info, and all those guys post their all the time as well as many, many vendors selling turbos and components.

Pm me if you need any help with the build.

Take care,

Travis
thanx for the info travis. aren't the c&s carbs really pricey? i know barry grants aren't the best, but they have a 850cfm blow thru 4150's for 600 each on ebay. would something like that meet my goal of 1000hp? my neighbor is awesome at fabbin alum/ss and welds better than a robot can, he's gonna help me build the water to air i.c.. figured i could just get a cheap import i.c. , have my radiator shop cut it down, then build a water box for it, send both turbo's into it with it coming out just 1 outlet on the i.c. , send that over to the carb hat with the blowoff inline.i was gonna stroke the 400 into a 434 but there's enough weight spinnin , no need for more, 4.0 stroke sbc crank has to make some crazy harmonics as well.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You can buy a 1200hp rated air to water off ebay for $200!! Lots of people using them with great success. I wounldnt buy a bg carb at all, you can pick up a used csu or c&s for around $700 or have a new one built custom to your set up for $850....well worth the extra money, trust me. Remember if you go cheap on the carb or any of the fuel system that will only generate lots of headaches down the road for ya.

Use an aeromotive 132-02 regulator with a -10 feed and -10 return, with -8 feed lines to the carb. An aeromotive A1000 pump will get the job done.

If you are going to do twins I would reccomend a pair of the new master power T76's with the .68 turbine housings. They are $580 each shipped to your door right now.

I use X02 Racing products for my wastegates and Bov, great price and work very well! I would use two XO2 44mm wastegates $139each and one 50mm BOV $79. Both the wastegates and the bov comes with the v band flange and clamp.

Travis

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
You can buy a 1200hp rated air to water off ebay for $200!! Lots of people using them with great success. Travis
Thanks for that lead. I need a core and will check that out.
I price out a Bell core and it blew my hair back.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts