Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Renegade jet
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PFM twin turbo intercooled system and the carb plenum has a water hookup and I did not hook it up because I thought it would make the fuel to cold and cause puddling. However, someone was telling me they thought it might be to run warm water through to add heat and prevent puddling. What do you guys think? I ran the boat today at around 3k rpm just to make sure I had no leaks or anything stupid and the plenum was really cold even without being hooked up to the water.

·
Banned
742 Posts
I always ran the engine oil thru the carb box, to the turbos. It is "water/oil" jacketed, to prevent the throttle plates from FREEZING open! That carb and box can get so cold durring long WOT conditions that the throttle plates may actually get stuck/frozen OPEN.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I've been running mine dry for a couple years now with no problems, it used to have warm water coming out of the engine then through the carb box and finally exiting through the headers. I didnt see the need to "warm" the fuel then intercool it, so I plumbed around the carb box, also gets rid of a little weight from the additional water onboard.

How's that thing running ?

·
Renegade jet
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't had a chance to push it yet. I just took it out on sunday to hang at the sandbar. It is running and nothing seems to leak. I will take it out later during the week and run it a little harder and check the plugs and make some adjustments.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I haven't had a chance to push it yet. I just took it out on sunday to hang at the sandbar. It is running and nothing seems to leak. I will take it out later during the week and run it a little harder and check the plugs and make some adjustments.
got any pics of it yet?

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
There was a nice smoke plexiglass splashguard on there.
Did you get that with the boat ?

Attachments

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
Yea, I did, but I like the way it looks without it. The engine is also pretty far forward.

I liked mine without the splash guard too, but there was one time I would have liked to have had it on. The boat didnt look as good sitting on the bottom of the lake as it did on top of the water!

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
FWIW, I take waves over the top of the splash guard almost every time out.

·
Renegade jet
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may mock it up again with the new turbo setup and see how she looks, one of the local sandbars can get crazy and I will take a little water.

·
Some guy
3,619 Posts
I have a PFM twin turbo intercooled system and the carb plenum has a water hookup and I did not hook it up because I thought it would make the fuel to cold and cause puddling. However, someone was telling me they thought it might be to run warm water through to add heat and prevent puddling. What do you guys think? I ran the boat today at around 3k rpm just to make sure I had no leaks or anything stupid and the plenum was really cold even without being hooked up to the water.
I always ran the engine oil thru the carb box, to the turbos. It is "water/oil" jacketed, to prevent the throttle plates from FREEZING open! That carb and box can get so cold durring long WOT conditions that the throttle plates may actually get stuck/frozen OPEN.
so running from my filters to the carb box to the turbos isnt a good way?
I have seen it done many different ways. When I had my ski race boat, I did not run anything through the boxes, and that boat got run very hard for long distances. I never noticed any problems with "puddling" either, even though the boat served dual purpose and got run for fun on at Parker on non-race weekends too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have seen it done many different ways. When I had my ski race boat, I did not run anything through the boxes, and that boat got run very hard for long distances. I never noticed any problems with "puddling" either, even though the boat served dual purpose and got run for fun on at Parker on non-race weekends too.
thanks! you have been a huge help to me over the last 2 freakin years while ive been putting this thing together. now if i can get a big intercooler and wastegates ill be happy! do you think pertronix billet dist w the ignitor II is enough? or shuold i put my spare msd on. (really dont want to)

·
Registered
230 Posts
thanks! you have been a huge help to me over the last 2 freakin years while ive been putting this thing together. now if i can get a big intercooler and wastegates ill be happy! do you think pertronix billet dist w the ignitor II is enough? or shuold i put my spare msd on. (really dont want to)
I love turbos. :D Any pics of your setup on here? I am gathering parts to turbo my 19' daytona right now.

·
Some guy
3,619 Posts
I don't really know anything about Pertronix, I imagine it would work? Shoot, the original ignitions being used when all the Banks/PFM/Race Aero systems were really popular were Mallory dual point distributors!

I love turbos. :D Any pics of your setup on here? I am gathering parts to turbo my 19' daytona right now.

I do have almost a complete turbo system here, with the exception of no intercooler, including Banks style exhaust manifolds, risers with waste gates, T0 4 turbos and two carb boxes (dual carb setup). Turbos and wastegates will need some attention I think, other parts in good condition.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I do have almost a complete turbo system here, with the exception of no intercooler, including Banks style exhaust manifolds, risers with waste gates, T0 4 turbos and two carb boxes (dual carb setup). Turbos and wastegates will need some attention I think, other parts in good condition.
Thanks for the offer. I am going with a more unique setup, custom made.

What set up are you building for your 19?
4 bolt 427 with tweaked 049 oval ports, 9:1 compression, Comp cams roller setup - grind 300BR-14, HP525 style oval port EFI intake with LT1 style throttle body, Autronic SM4 ECU with wastegate control, Weldon fuel pump and regulator, custom stainless headers, PWR barrel intercooler, Tial 60mm wastegate, single giant Garrett turbo. Going to tune it for pump gas. Should be a lot more fun than the "tow truck" 454 that is in it right now. My money tree stopped growing though, so it is taking a while to get it together. The boat is still operational now with the 454.

I would love to see more of the turbocharged boats out there. I am starting to see a few more on here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts