Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What am I looking at to accomplish this idea?
I am assuming stronger internals, but what else? Can I build a turbo motor and add the turbos later? Can I run a single? Are twins better?
Thoughts comments or ideas please post up...

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
:)bulb

How big is that hatch?

Turbo's build heat...lots of it unless you can fully water-jacket the exhaust and the turbo housings and that's lots of $$$$$$$$

S CP :)bulb

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Asking around is a way to get opinions more than facts,

Suggestions,
1) Get a book and read up on the subject thoroughly first
2) Identify your goals, do you want to make 900 hp or 2000 hp ? Pump gas, race gas, E85, or Methanol ?
3) Identify your capabilites, can you fabricate some of the parts or will you have to buy something completed ?
4) Compile a parts list and costs before you start. How much do you have to spend ?

Look through some turbo build threads here and see how others did it.

All three of these have 2000 hp / torque capability,
http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-boats/74740-555cid-aluminum-turbocharged-engine.html

http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-boats/83355-another-all-aluminum-twin-turbo-jet-boat-project.html

I've run this EFI turbo setup in various forms for 8 years and hundreds of hours,
http://www.performanceboats.com/dyno/52723-540-arias-twin-turbo-efi-dyno-video.html

Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
What am I looking at to accomplish this idea?
I am assuming stronger internals, but what else? Can I build a turbo motor and add the turbos later? Can I run a single? Are twins better?
Thoughts comments or ideas please post up...
Need more info. What is the application? [boat size, hull type, drive?] What is your intended use? How much boost do you need/want? Can you build a turbo motor and add turbos later. Yes but the N/A engine will be a turd if compression ratio and cam is for turbo application. Can I run a single? Yes, but application and intended use will determine turbo sizing and number of turbos. A stock BBF will handle moderate amounts of boost providing you have forged pistons, well prepped rods, correct clearances and your tuneup is dead nutts on. Years ago I ran both a TT blow thru system and draw thru system on a 2 bolt block, cast crank, prepped CJ/truck rods and Speed Pro forged pistons making about 10 lbs [blow thru] 13-14 lbs [draw thru] of boost. Engine, bearings & cyls. looked like new when I retired it for a newer and better short block for the draw thru system and intercooler I currently run.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just looking for a way to pick up a extra 100 to 150 ponies. Looking at the expense of it it may not be fiscally wise.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
^^^

Budget off-set stroker kit at .030-.060" overbore with a 4.14" stroke. approx 508" with an alumi head.

S CP :)bulb

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright sleeper do you know of any proven recipes for this project. I have started some research and there seems to be more than one way to do this. So can you finish pointing me in the right direction...

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Psycotic, Sleeper is right. No body builds a turbo motor to gain 100-150 HP. You need to determine how much power you want r need, and plan a build around that requirement. You say you want to gain 100-150, but from what HP now? Are you talking about a 460, ore a 429?
Unless you can find a good used, cheap Gale Banks type set up, that you can put aon a good sound engine, then your probably better off building a nice N/A deal. The last thing you want to do is install a turbo setup on a worn out questionable engine.

There are a few very knowlegable Ford guys on here. You just need to determine how much power you want, or how much money you have to spend,size and type of boat, and what you main use is, and let them know.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with him completely. Money as little as possible and still be reliable. Would like to be between 500 and 600 hp reliably. I have been looking into the offset deal, lots of different ways to do it. I was hoping he had a proven setup was all. Its going into a mini day cruiser. If it ends up being too much I will buy an additional boat thats already done.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts