Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"If" you were to build a purpose built quick little drag boat a blow through engine that would leave well and run a decent # at a middle of the road amount of boost then you could adjust the boost up or down at the turn of a knob to make the boat run the # instead of messing with hardware changes and pulling tha pass. seat out or pulling extra fuel tanks or what ever else it is that these guys do to make up the difference.
For example , take a hypthetical 19ft picklefork , put a 565cid twin turbo deal with a blowthrough that has a good greddy controller taking care of the waste gates and pull this engine back to about 15psi of boost and see what it'd run, 9? 8.5? 8.0? who cares , pick a # , this is hypothetical, let say your trying to run an 8.0 and your first pass at the track is a 8.30 , all you'd have to do is dial in a couple more #s of boost and youd be there, no messing with the hardware or changing to a slower class,
same deal if you were trying to run an 8.50 and ran an 8.30 just pull a couple more pounds of boost out. Would sure be easier than jacking with the hardware or tune up to try to dial it in.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point! But haven't racers been doing that for years with blowers?? Just change the pullies??
and pulling back the timing and changing the pills then the sob usually pops&bangs all the way down the track, this is power that can be turned up & down from the drivers seat, no tools needed, with the greddy controller you can make the hit harder or softer also.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Some of you guys with running, tuned turbo boats need to get to a track and prove some of these points and see just how it works in reality and not on paper....

I have not even fired my deal up yet but hope to get it on the water soon and start testing with it. I built mine as just a fun toy and never intended on racing it or trying to prove something to anyone. I enjoy wrenching and trying new ideas. Hope I can make it to a track maybe next year just for the experience and down to the river where cs19, cycolne, mike D and all the boys hang out for a weekend!!

Some of you guys are taking this to far and getting away from the fact that we all should be learning from eachother and enjoying this web site!! If your boat is the baddest thing out there then show up to a race or meet on the river and let your boat do the talking.....

Later

Travis

276 Posts
and pulling back the timing and changing the pills then the sob usually pops&bangs all the way down the track, this is power that can be turned up & down from the drivers seat, no tools needed, with the greddy controller you can make the hit harder or softer also.
That would be bitchen. But whats the catch?? I like the turbo deal but there has to be some draw back. spool time, heat, sounds cool but at what cost? And what in the hell is a prune picker??:D

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be bitchen. But whats the catch?? I like the turbo deal but there has to be some draw back. spool time, heat, sounds cool but at what cost? And what in the hell is a prune picker??:D
No catch, just the coin it would take to set it up.

Oh and a prune picker is someone that would try to pick a prune:D

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Some of you guys with running, tuned turbo boats need to get to a track and prove some of these points and see just how it works in reality and not on paper....

I have not even fired my deal up yet but hope to get it on the water soon and start testing with it. I built mine as just a fun toy and never intended on racing it or trying to prove something to anyone. I enjoy wrenching and trying new ideas. Hope I can make it to a track maybe next year just for the experience and down to the river where cs19, cycolne, mike D and all the boys hang out for a weekend!!

Some of you guys are taking this to far and getting away from the fact that we all should be learning from eachother and enjoying this web site!! If your boat is the baddest thing out there then show up to a race or meet on the river and let your boat do the talking.....

Later

Travis
Great post.:)devil Looking fwd to seeing your build btw. I want a pair of hair dryers real bad.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is a name for someone who comes on these forums and litters them with their wealth of ignorance?
that would be widowmaker, its real simple if you dont want to read the thread and try to contribute then dont click on it smart guy.

·
Amber Racing Services
4,250 Posts
Isn't this the same thread ... or same style thread as many others?

This has been beat to death (turbos are better, blowers are better, nitrous is better, etc.).

And Hass, making it personal toward Widowmaker? Not cool ... he has just as much right to post up a redundant opinion as you do, right?

Let's just agree that boats are cool.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

Later

Travis

Be careful with that one, it takes a lot more than power to make a jet work and turn great numbers. In most cases it takes guys four or five seasons before they start being competitive.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
"If" you were to build a purpose built quick little drag boat a blow through engine that would leave well and run a decent # at a middle of the road amount of boost then you could adjust the boost up or down at the turn of a knob to make the boat run the # instead of messing with hardware changes and pulling tha pass. seat out or pulling extra fuel tanks or what ever else it is that these guys do to make up the difference.
For example , take a hypthetical 19ft picklefork , put a 565cid twin turbo deal with a blowthrough that has a good greddy controller taking care of the waste gates and pull this engine back to about 15psi of boost and see what it'd run, 9? 8.5? 8.0? who cares , pick a # , this is hypothetical, let say your trying to run an 8.0 and your first pass at the track is a 8.30 , all you'd have to do is dial in a couple more #s of boost and youd be there, no messing with the hardware or changing to a slower class,
same deal if you were trying to run an 8.50 and ran an 8.30 just pull a couple more pounds of boost out. Would sure be easier than jacking with the hardware or tune up to try to dial it in.
dunno hass, give it a try and see. these types of changes are certainly doable, but it would depend whether or not you're trying to race to win, or trying to see how fast you can go.
different people do different things to make adjustments. i never touch the engine parameters on a race weekend because i don't want to affect it's performance in any way for the first 120' of a run - i want it to be the same sunday night as it was saturday morning. there are some hardware changes i will not make after the first couple of qualifying runs, but there are other very subtle hardware adjustments i'll make all weekend that i know won't affect that first 120'. i know a couple guys with n2 timers that will make timer adjustments while sitting on the rope (which can drive a person insane if they're trying to hit a number), and they are very successful.

doc busby, they're all grown up now - hass and widow can call each other names all they want to.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it is called forced induction, put it over there.
What is a name for someone who comes on these forums and litters them with their wealth of ignorance?
good one. didn't you go down this road once before over a year ago? same road, same result. Get used to it.
Isn't this the same thread ... or same style thread as many others?

This has been beat to death (turbos are better, blowers are better, nitrous is better, etc.).

And Hass, making it personal toward Widowmaker? Not cool ... he has just as much right to post up a redundant opinion as you do, right?

Let's just agree that boats are cool.
I didnt say anything to him,nothing personal on my end, he doesnt like my thread so all I'm saying is he doesnt have to read it.
and I agree boats are cool.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dunno hass, give it a try and see. these types of changes are certainly doable, but it would depend whether or not you're trying to race to win, or trying to see how fast you can go.
different people do different things to make adjustments. i never touch the engine parameters on a race weekend because i don't want to affect it's performance in any way for the first 120' of a run - i want it to be the same sunday night as it was saturday morning. there are some hardware changes i will not make after the first couple of qualifying runs, but there are other very subtle hardware adjustments i'll make all weekend that i know won't affect that first 120'. i know a couple guys with n2 timers that will make timer adjustments while sitting on the rope (which can drive a person insane if they're trying to hit a number), and they are very successful.

doc busby, they're all grown up now - hass and widow can call each other names all they want to.
Thank you BP , this is more the conversation that I wanted to have.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

In the first 120ft are you refering to the 125ft before the starting beams? I agree that any power difference would make hitting the light more difficult.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
losers:plets all get along and give up on the idea that turbos are the shit these days:)bulbb/c its not going to work.

widomaker it seems that you are the brightest of the bunch congrats.:)devil

then there is BUSBY.AKA fuel man of the century:)grn

i hope you fellas can all get along.:)handhil:)

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.