Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 572″ CID BBC twin turbo Nordic. It has Accel DFI EFI system and twin GT47s on it. The boat is a proven setup and has run the lakes around the Seattle area. These are the correct sized turbos for what the engine needs. Not the e-bay crap or old outdated banks or water cooled junk.

It has been done and I don't really see the problem in doing so. I know a guy that works for the owner of the boat and he says it hauls ass.

Link to the u-tube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U9nYk3kcdg

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Brian,

That is a sweet proven set up for sure!! What would a complete drop in engine/turbo/efi/tuned package like that go for??

Thanks

Travis

·
Registered
96 Posts
Im 99 percent sure that the owner of that boat put that motor in a 27 thor cat and had run 140mph on pump gas @ 12 lbs of boost.

The thread was on offshoreonly.com

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brian,

That is a sweet proven set up for sure!! What would a complete drop in engine/turbo/efi/tuned package like that go for??

Thanks

Travis
That is a little open ended. I don't know how built his engine is but I am sure it is not a stocker. This wasn't a budget build for sure. The guys who built it for him are not cheap either.

Lets say just shooting from the hip
You could build a 540 for around $15,000 to $20,000 maybe less now.
Turbos, EFI, headers, clamps, intercooler, waste gates ect $10,000 parts
Then you would have labor for the fab and polishing. Not sure but looking at it that project looks like a 2-3 week job.

It could be done cheaper with cheaper parts and engine, it all depends on how much boost and power like always.

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
That exhaust looks EXTREMELY expensive to me.

He started with CMI split top headers. They are 5k just for whats bolted to the heads. Then all of that jacketed stainless was huge $$ to build.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
old outdated banks or water cooled junk.
]
The turbo's that come on the Gale Banks, Race Aero, or Gentry systems are sometimes referred to as "Barbie" turbo's around here Brian. :D

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
The turbo's that come on the Gale Banks, Race Aero, or Gentry systems are sometimes referred to as "Barbie" turbo's around here Brian. :D
:D

they is cute mark:p

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Hey now ... I'm trying to sell my Barbie setup and buy GI Joe with kung fu grip turbos. :) And my barbie setup sells for 12 - 15k new

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Hey now ... I'm trying to sell my Barbie setup and buy GI Joe with kung fu grip turbos. :) And my barbie setup sells for 12 - 15k new
lol, get a pair os s400 series turbs in your hand and everything looks tiny from then on:D s475 75mm bullseye turbs are on sale right now at dave's turbos in dallas for 550 each;) you can make up to 2000hp with em, same turbs mark and my uncle run. i bought a s480 like em, but my 80mm has a high performance compessor wheel and the housing has been "race bored" whatever that means:D its a big sucka though

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Yea and by the time I get to use them they will be the Barbie or Ken Turbos and I'll have to start all over. :p

lol, get a pair os s400 series turbs in your hand and everything looks tiny from then on:D s475 75mm bullseye turbs are on sale right now at dave's turbos in dallas for 550 each;) you can make up to 2000hp with em, same turbs mark and my uncle run. i bought a s480 like em, but my 80mm has a high performance compessor wheel and the housing has been "race bored" whatever that means:D its a big sucka though

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Yea and by the time I get to use them they will be the Barbie or Ken Turbos and I'll have to start all over. :p
:D yeah right!:p 2000hp is plenty for me

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I got the race compressor cover and that added to the price.
Supposed to add 60 hp or so and has hose clamp mounts rather than v band.
I can't run anything without a polished compressor either. ;)

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I got the race compressor cover and that added to the price.
Supposed to add 60 hp or so and has hose clamp mounts rather than v band.
I can't run anything without a polished compressor either. ;)
yeah, billy's came with vbands and they're shit to find the opposite side end for, i tried several different brands and nothing lined up right:|err ended up just welding thick alum pipes on em to get it close nuff just to hump hose over to the ics.

was talking with hass easlier about the s475's , told him just to buy a pair and when he was ready for more turb we could convert them into 88's:)grn:)grn:D the wheels are 118bucks each and i read somewhere you can have the covers bored for around 140ish each or buy the 88mm race covers. that'd be cheaper than buyin 2 88mm 1400 buck each turbs:)bulb my s480 has the smaller shaft in it than what you guys have, i can't go any bigger than the 80mm on it now:)sphss need the compressor on it polished out

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The other end of the v-band is easy to get, just get it from Bullseye.

I would watch just changing the wheel yourself. When you do the assembly should be re-balanced and if it is off your bearing will not last long. Look at the end of the wheel or nut and you will see where they machined some material to balance it.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
The other end of the v-band is easy to get, just get it from Bullseye.

I would watch just changing the wheel yourself. When you do the assembly should be re-balanced and if it is off your bearing will not last long. Look at the end of the wheel or nut and you will see where they machined some material to balance it.
there's a place semi local that'll balance for 30bucks each in dallas. i honestly didn't know at the time each and every brand vband was different than the next:)sphss call it beginner's growing pains:D

brian, don't know of anyone selling forward or rear facing ls1 mild steel headers do ya?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
yeah, billy's came with vbands and they're shit to find the opposite side end for, i tried several different brands and nothing lined up right:|err ended up just welding thick alum pipes on em to get it close nuff just to hump hose over to the ics.
Tom I got mine from Luis at paradise racing, very nice piece's and they were also o-ringed and fit perfect.

Travis

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
there's a place semi local that'll balance for 30bucks each in dallas. i honestly didn't know at the time each and every brand vband was different than the next:)sphss call it beginner's growing pains:D

brian, don't know of anyone selling forward or rear facing ls1 mild steel headers do ya?
I don't, I have not even looked at who builds what for a long time. I usually just build my own. Make sure they know what they are doing for the balance. Remember these for the most part spin 8-10 times engine speed. If the balance is off then your turbo will not last very long. If they are not a turbo re-builder who has a good rep then don't go cheap.

I had one re-built for a customer and a new wheel put in and it only lasted 2 weeks. I will not have the company do anything again.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I don't, I have not even looked at who builds what for a long time. I usually just build my own. Make sure they know what they are doing for the balance. Remember these for the most part spin 8-10 times engine speed. If the balance is off then your turbo will not last very long. If they are not a turbo re-builder who has a good rep then don't go cheap.

I had one re-built for a customer and a new wheel put in and it only lasted 2 weeks. I will not have the company do anything again.
not sure what their name is, i've got it written down at work. majestic and dave's turbo both recommended them and said they sent all their cartridges to em so i figured they were ok, they do more heavy truck stuff than gas but from what i hear they have some pretty high buck computer balancers. when my uncle hurt a turbo i bought a couple of rebuild kits from them and they mentioned marking it all which we did.
ya know something weird me and hass been conversating bout today is i think my uncle may have bent a turbo shaft cause he used a screen over the inlet:)sphss been reading up on turbo filters before buyin 1 for myself and everyone says that using just a screen over the turb inlet hurts airflow soo bad that it'll make a journal bearinged turbo wobble at the compressor. his motor is fine and not hurt, niether is the other turb but 1 of his s475's mysteriously got a bent shaft. i was blame'n it on him using a breaker bar or something on the shaft nut and turning it the wrong way to break it lose(lh threads) but he swears he didn't. think its possible the airflow had such bad turbulence from the screens? maybe threw the balance off since centrifical force couldn't balance the assembly? its got me scatching my head, the bushings still look perfect in that turb too:)sphss

1 - 20 of 25 Posts