Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to redo my interior, and I have seen alot of pics of boats with tweed interiors that look awesome. Just have a few questions about it. How is it costwise when compared to vinyl? How does it hold up to getting splashed or rained on or sitting in it with damp swimming trunks? Is it just like the tweed you would use in a car or is there a marine version? Any info would be appreciated, I know I can count on you guys!

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
Tweed is the trick way to go ... but isn't the best whenit comes down to water resistance and being able to clean. And they do make a Marine backing, thicker than regular.

If you want the badass looking interior ... tweed.

If you want long lasting/easy to clean ... vinyl.

My .02

·
Big River Boy
256 Posts
I have it in our cruiser and would'nt have any thing but tweed. And no it doesnt fade that bad. Boat is a 96 and still going strong. :)

·
TEN THIRTY ONE
1,293 Posts
I have it in our cruiser and would'nt have any thing but tweed. And no it doesnt fade that bad. Boat is a 96 and still going strong. :)
I agree here. If your upholstery guy uses a good quality tweed it will outlast most vinyls. I have only had mine for 3 years but I know of others who have had the same material for over 10 and it still looks good. The only thing that I was told by my upholstery guy was to lay towels over the tops of the seat when you put your boat cover on. Why?? I dont know but I trust him. It still looks just like it did 3 years ago when new.

·
Extraordinarily good
215 Posts
:Tweed looks great.

:As far as cost and such........ask Tiki, he has brand new tweed in his brand new boat. .:D

·
6TH STREET MAFIA PRES.
1,493 Posts
Mines tweed and has beer spilt on it plenty of times,i will say that suntan lotion is a bitch but as long as you take care of it i think it looks awsome and will out last vinyl hands down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am getting ready to redo my interior, and I have seen alot of pics of boats with tweed interiors that look awesome. Just have a few questions about it. How is it costwise when compared to vinyl? How does it hold up to getting splashed or rained on or sitting in it with damp swimming trunks? Is it just like the tweed you would use in a car or is there a marine version? Any info would be appreciated, I know I can count on you guys!
Tweed is nice. They do make a marine grade tweed that holds up better. keep us updated.

·
MAMA TRIED
1,661 Posts
My last cruiser was tweed and vinyl mixed (more tweed) but it looked really bitchen I thought, and it was a 95 and was still in excellent shape when I sold it last year. I bet the towels on the seat are to keep the dust/ dirt/ moisture off the seats that bleed accmulate through the covers. When you pull the cover it wipes off vinyl better then tweed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anyone got any pictures of their tweed interior that they could post so I can show it to the wife?

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
This is Fut's "Southwind Dragster" interior, I like it, but not sure how it would wear.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Whats the cost difference between tweed and vinyl? I called a few shops and $1,000 is the "best" price yet to re-cover my seats in vinyl, old foam and frames. Seems kinda steep to me, i guess they gotta eat too but damn, two buckets and a 5' bench for a THOUSAND dollars? can the vinyl really be that expensive?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

here are some we had done i like the look.

Attachments

·
WFL Crew
3,874 Posts
Whats the cost difference between tweed and vinyl? I called a few shops and $1,000 is the "best" price yet to re-cover my seats in vinyl, old foam and frames. Seems kinda steep to me, i guess they gotta eat too but damn, two buckets and a 5' bench for a THOUSAND dollars? can the vinyl really be that expensive?
It does seem steep-but considering my best bud owns an upholstery shop...I've seen the amount of hands on labor that goes into an upholstery job. I still think upholsterers are under paid for their craft.;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
We had grey tweed inour 93 Advantage. It looked awesome for the time we had it. Not much more maintenance than vinyl. Ours also wasn't so blistering hot when hopping in.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
My old man has had tweed in his boat for about ten years or so and its nice. It held up really well and its very comfortable...you dont stick to it like you do vinyl and its not as hot even though its gray.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I can have your seats done in tweed or vinyl, same cost, and you're right $1000 is about average. It's not the material that makes it costly, it's the labor. Even if you've got old material to use as a pattern, there's still a lot of work to be done.

Good luck with your hunt.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I can have your seats done in tweed or vinyl, same cost, and you're right $1000 is about average. It's not the material that makes it costly, it's the labor. Even if you've got old material to use as a pattern, there's still a lot of work to be done.

Good luck with your hunt.
In that case whats it cost for new frames, foam, side skirts, and gray tweed with red piping, complete deal?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts