Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 78 19 Daytona jet, going with a twin turbo LS(been racing a Turbo LS drag car for years). Have a couple of questions, what oil pan are you using ? the pump is set way back so nothing under engine, also the BB in this was way forward(to me) 30.5" transom to rear plate, 14" driveshaft. Would like to move engine back to make back seat somewhat useable. Any advice would be welcomed, thanks Rob

·
small block jet
392 Posts
oil pan

GM 12640748, 2010 -2014 SS, Zl1,Camaro or G8 pan works great in our Sunkisst tunnel. Holds 8 quarts too. Cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GM 12640748, 2010 -2014 SS, Zl1,Camaro or G8 pan works great in our Sunkisst tunnel. Holds 8 quarts too. Cheap on ebay.
thanks, have a Fbody pan that just picked up, have not mocked up engine in boat yet, waiting on ft engine plate, pics show what I'm starting with...

Attachments

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Same pan I've been running👍 ran a g8 pan on mighty mouse tunnel as well, never once had a oiling issue. I run 7qrts in them

Run the driveshaft you've got, set engine where driveshaft makes ya and call it good. Motor to far back in a Daytona isn't a good thing

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts

Attachments

·
small block jet
392 Posts
back seat

I think you can with the driveshaft you have. My 19 Daytona had a back seat with a BBC and no setback on the pump.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Listen to Gregg. He will help you keep your hair dry. There is a reason they run motors forward in a fast Daytona. That motor is light and if makes as much steam as the potential it has, you should have a rocket.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gregg said I could move back to where bell housing cleared the pump support plate and be fine...

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
Just picked up a 78 19 Daytona jet, going with a twin turbo LS(been racing a Turbo LS drag car for years). Any advice would be welcomed, thanks Rob
March 6, 2019
Hello People
The jet drive looks like a Miersch intake and Aggressor pump? If so, the hull needs fixing - J Bennett

Do have a data system to tell you what PSI or Vac you're generating?

What kind of performance are you looking for, 120, 140MPH plus? :)Unsure

Willis

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
March 6, 2019
Hello People
The jet drive looks like a Meirsch intake and Aggressor pump? If so, the hull needs fixing - J Bennett

Do have a data system to tell you what PSI or Vac you're generating?

What kind of performance are you looking for, 120, 140MPH plus? :)Unsure

Willis
Ok, I'll bite...hull needs fixing ? not looking for anything performance wise, just a mess around creek boat. Yes we are going to run megasquirt for the EFI(we run it on a no-prep car my son drives) so yes will have data. Currant plans are to keep boost low @10-12 that should put us @700-750hp

·
149 BGJ-Willis Power 540
538 Posts
Hull fix Meirsch intake

Ok, I'll bite...hull needs fixing ? not looking for anything performance wise, just a mess around creek boat. Yes we are going to run megasquirt for the EFI(we run it on a no-prep car my son drives) so yes will have data. Currant plans are to keep boost low @10-12 that should put us @700-750hp
March 7, 2019
Hello People
ezstriper
All of those early Miersch intakes will create a low spot on the inlet side of the jet intake and the boat loses vacuum that suggest the water flow is not “hugging the hull” into the suction piece.
B1 Racing, Anaheim CA, Chris Starkweather has the new versions of the Miersch intake with the fix.
But you said it’s a lake boat and you don’t worry about performance.

The data I’m talking about is not the engine ECU but the how the boat is hooking up and the performance of the jet drive.

Looking at the graph, the line that’s going down and stays down is the “hull fix”, before the hull fix, the line would go down, but as the speed increased it would start to rise.
By the way, Greg Shoemaker, can answer all the questions about the intake fix on the early version Miersch intakes. :)Unsure

Willis

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
March 7, 2019
Hello People
ezstriper
All of those early Miersch intakes will create a low spot on the inlet side of the jet intake and the boat loses vacuum that suggest the water flow is not “hugging the hull” into the suction piece.
B1 Racing, Anaheim CA, Chris Starkweather has the new versions of the Miersch intake with the fix.
But you said it’s a lake boat and you don’t worry about performance.

The data I’m talking about is not the engine ECU but the how the boat is hooking up and the performance of the jet drive.

Looking at the graph, the line that’s going down and stays down is the “hull fix”, before the hull fix, the line would go down, but as the speed increased it would start to rise.
By the way, Greg Shoemaker, can answer all the questions about the intake fix on the early version Miersch intakes. :)Unsure

Willis
thank you, Rob

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, getting some things done, mocked up engine with driveshaft that came with boat, seems like can make it work with backseat. Engine being done now, going to lift off and redo trailer before engine and boat goes back together

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts