Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been reported that Jeff Asbell, owner of the 40' Skater pictured below, died in a crash at the Lake Cumberland Poker Run, along with his throttleman, Brad Smith of Smith Power. The Skater was equipped with two 1,700-hp engines by Smith Power. Condolences to the families by the staff of Performance Boats Magazine. This photo was shot by PB's Todd Taylor at the Lake of the Ozarks Poker Run a couple of weeks back.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Sad.

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
Very sad. Prayers to family and friends. :(

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Someone that was there told me the lake police was making everyone go to the other side and watch.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I heard several boats were crossing back and forth all day.
The lead boat had to change course to avoid that spectator craft, Jeff couldnt avoid the roostertail.
Very similar to Bo's crash in his 35 DCB in Desert Storm

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Speaking from experience, people on the lake are idiots! These events being held on a lake open to other boats? Well you know the rest.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
That's what can happen when you decide to hold the Long Beach Gran Prix without shutting down the streets to normal traffic. But then Poker
Runs aren't "racing", so who's fault is it when something like this happens? Yeah the guy in the cruiser is an idiot. The lakes are full of idiots. It what makes going 150 on a public lake dangerous. Its the very reason they do shut the streets down to normal traffic during the Long Beach Gran Prix.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
a.k.a. "Mean Pair"
5,968 Posts
That's what can happen when you decide to hold the Long Beach Gran Prix without shutting down the streets to normal traffic. But then Poker
Runs aren't "racing", so who's fault is it when something like this happens? Yeah the guy in the cruiser is an idiot. The lakes are full of idiots. It what makes going 150 on a public lake dangerous. Its the very reason they do shut the streets down to normal traffic during the Long Beach Gran Prix.
I would have to conclude that a person going 150mph on a lake full of idiots ........ might be an idiot. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I would have to conclude that a person going 150mph on a lake full of idiots ........ might be an idiot. :rolleyes:
I have no doubt there is a certain amount of "ego" and showmanship involved in these things as well. You cannot watch the video in Shawn's post above and tell me that was smartest line or the "only available line" to take. You have no choice but to call this "buzzing the tower" ala Mavrick in movie Top Gun.

So who entered these things ASSUMING some risk? The Poker Runners, or the spectators??

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 22 Posts